H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 03-22-2013, 08:40 PM
Hummer Veteran

H2mudder is on a distinguished road
Default 2003 H2 Tranny Hard Shifting

I everyone, I have researched around a little but still not sure what the problem is. My tranny is having trouble shifting from 1st to 2nd and into 3rd, it will not go into overdrive. It will not manually shift out of third into overdrive. I checked the tranny fluid and it was a little low, so I added the correct dexron III as in the manual.

My first thing i was planning on doing was changing out the tranny fluid, but would like to put my money in the right place instead of wasting money on things that will not correct the problem.

I hope I don't need to replace the tranny and it is a TPS issue or something like that.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your comments and support.

Last edited by H2mudder : 03-22-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:54 AM
Hummer Authority

NJ H2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Re: 2003 H2 Tranny Hard Shifting

How many miles are on your Rig and have you changed the Trans Fluid before?

Old 03-27-2013, 07:05 PM
Hummer Veteran

BUNNY15 is on a distinguished road

Believe it or not, my tranny just went out on mine Saturday while driving to Austin. I was 100 miles away from the house when I decided to accelerate past a slower moving vehicle on the frwy. As I attempted to pass, the rpms just shot up, but the H2 didn't move any faster.

I pulled of to the side of the road to t=check the tranny fluid which "supposedly" had just been checked the Monday before at the shop and said it was full. I didn't look myself prior to hitting the road, which I should have, but nonetheless the fluid was below the lower marker on the stick. I had some tranny fluid in the car, so I added some. I let the tranny cool down for a bit before starting down the road again, and the same thing happened. 1st gear was ok, 2nd gear, was ok, but no 3rd!! RPMS skyrocketed again.

Pulled over a second time thinking it needed to cool a bit longer. While I waited, I did some internet research only to read the possibilities of what I already knew. About 20 minutes passed and I started down the road again, but now the "check engine" light was on. This time I noticed it didn't take off in DRIVE as easy as it had before. 1st gear ok, but now no 2nd...I'm like WTH because now I'm in the middle of nowhere (Troy, TX) and now I can hear the tranny whining which it wasn't doing before.

Pull over a 3rd time, now DRIVE is pretty much gone, and absolutely no REVERSE. I call a wrecker, wait 2 hours watching the in-dash DVD (money well spent), and $350 later, the wrecker drops me off at home and takes the Hummer to the shop.

$1300 complete rebuild, 3year or 36k warranty...should pick it up Friday (hopefully)

2003 H2, Moog Idler, Pitman, Up/Low BJ, In/Out TR, Fabtech 6in Lift, Yokohama Geolander M/T 40x15.50x20, Black XD Bombs 20x9, Bilstein 5100 Shocks, Yukon 5:13 gears f/r, Hypertech Max programmer, KC 851 HID's 35w, Pioneer DVD/NAV/TOUCHSC, 10" woofers, 6k Headlight HID's, White LED DRL (wired to run w/headlights on),Custom University of Texas gauges, Custom yellow paint. interior, Fuel pump/filter (Feb '13), Rebuilt 4L60E (April '13) & Rebuilt Transfer Case (Oct '14)
Old 03-28-2013, 01:54 AM
Hummer Professional

iwillnc is on a distinguished road

I had a similar thing happen in my 03 tahoe I used to have.

I was driving, came to a stop sign, yielded preceded to go and wham, hardly anything, ended up driving 4 miles to a local gas station, my dad came and he manually put it into 2nd gear, drove to our houyse then to aamco, all in 2nd, ended up being the 3rd-4th gear packet going out

I do not reccomend Aamco while were at it, it was still slipping and I couldn't get them to do anything, and I've seen cases where they put used from a junkyard parts into their rebuilt trannies.

I have 1,500 miles left of warranty on my 03, it's starting to do a little bit of slipping every now and then but i doubt it will go out before 1,500 so... w/e

I really hate the idea of rebuilding a 4l65e to put back in it, knowing full well it's to small for the truck, but question my ability to swap in the 4l80e and associated parts
Old 03-28-2013, 09:07 AM
Hummer Veteran

H2mudder is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ H2
How many miles are on your Rig and have you changed the Trans Fluid before?

I have not changed the tranny fluid, but I am going to very soon. I bought this h2 about 18 months ago. I had never checked the fluid. I just returned from a long drive to Las Vegas and back when I noticed the following day.