H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 11-01-2006, 03:49 AM
Hummer Veteran

Rick is off the scale
Default Re: Update on rear brake/axle sound .. whine sound ...

I thought I'd bring this old thread back to life to see if anyone had figured this out. I had something happen today for the first time. I slammed on the brakes hard and hear a grinding sound exactly like the pads had worn out and were eating the rotors. It only happens under hard braking and only in the last second or so before the truck comes to a complete stop. The sound comes from the passenger side rear. I've read about the other post with the ratcheting noise and the transfer case... This is not the same sound. (By the way... Kudos to the people who posted those sound clips!)

I only have 14k miles on the truck and have a hard time believing that the passenger side rear would wear out first. I checked out the rotors and didn't see where the pads have worn and or scored the rotors.

Any ideas?
2006 H3 - Luxury - Superior Blue - Sunroof - Chrome Pkg. - Chrome Step Tubes - AVN30D with rear view camera and iPod connection - Volant CAI - MagnaFlow dual exhaust - Throttle Body Spacer - Train Air Horn (to be installed) - More adds to come (New shoes & supercharger!)

1990 Porsche C2 (911) - Highly modified and very, very fast!
Old 11-01-2006, 04:48 AM
Hummer Guru

fourfourto is an unknown quantity at this point

I missed this tread I was away that week.

Mine sounds more like a grind,groun from the inside,the dealer dont know what the fvck is going on.

GRRR grrr
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:32 AM
Hummer Authority

K9sH3 is on a distinguished road

Mine makes a grinding noise, But mine seems to be coming from the front. I will let one of my employee's hang on to see if he can here it from outside.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:07 AM
Hummer Guru

Hmmm2 is on a distinguished road

And ... I have the groan sound when appyling the brakes. Mine sounds like fourfourto's first sound clip.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:29 AM
Hummer Veteran

Rick is off the scale

My grinding sound only happens during the last second of the stop. I can slam on the brakes and if it takes 15 seconds to come to a stop... The noise only happens during the last 1 second. I can't see any wear on the rotor. I guess I'll pop it off this weekend just to see if it's the inner pad causing the problem... But it sounds like others are having the same issue.

I've read a lot on several websites... The general consensus is... There is no general consensus... And apparently the dealers are no help. (Like they ever are!)

Anyone have a clue?... At least a guess?
2006 H3 - Luxury - Superior Blue - Sunroof - Chrome Pkg. - Chrome Step Tubes - AVN30D with rear view camera and iPod connection - Volant CAI - MagnaFlow dual exhaust - Throttle Body Spacer - Train Air Horn (to be installed) - More adds to come (New shoes & supercharger!)

Old 11-02-2006, 03:55 AM
Hummer Guru

Fourfourto is the next member here waiting to get the 'verdict' on his groan. F5stop had his turn out to be the transfer case, which was replaced. After fourfourto, I'll be headed back to the dealer with my ongoing groan.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:48 PM
Hummer Veteran

Rick is off the scale

Someone PMed me from another board and said they had the same issue and that the dealer had to replce their whole brake assembly. Makes sense I guess... If you can get the dealer to cover it.

Old 11-02-2006, 04:38 PM
Hummer Guru

I had the rotors cut and pads replaced and it came back,so did Hmmm3.
I was hoping for pads,new rotor and new calipers but the dealer said there is no fix.
If the field rep ever returns my dealers phone calls maybe something will be done.

Rick do you know what the whole brake assy was,and how long ago it was done

I cant understand why theres no official fix or record of many people having this problem.

GRRR Grrrr
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:48 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
My grinding sound only happens during the last second of the stop. I can slam on the brakes and if it takes 15 seconds to come to a stop... The noise only happens during the last 1 second.
That's how mine began. It's only at that very last second. As time progresses, it'll be the last 2 seconds, 3 seconds ... up to about 5 seconds. But, the groan begins to get louder and you feel it in the brake pedal.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:19 PM
Hummer Professional

Crash ? is on a distinguished road

This isn't the anti-lock doing it's thing is it..???

Rob
Old 11-02-2006, 09:39 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash ?
This isn't the anti-lock doing it's thing is it..???

Rob
No .. that's already been checked out and determined not to be the problem. Good thought, though.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:56 PM
Hummer Veteran

Rick is off the scale

Well... I dropped off my Hummer to the dealer 2 days ago. They had the service manager ride with me so he could hear the noise. He tried telling me that the sound I was hearing was normal and that it was the suspension moving during braking. I told him that I didn't believe that was the issue. They called me last night to say that they had "made some repairs" and that they wanted to test it on dry ground before calling me to come pick it up today. They didn't say what the "repairs" were... They just said they would go over everything with me when I came in today.

I'll post back and let everyone know what they found... Or didn't find.

Old 11-17-2006, 11:10 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
I'll post back and let everyone know what they found... Or didn't find.
Thanks Rick! Can't wait to hear what your dealer found!
Old 11-17-2006, 11:24 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmmm3
Thanks Rick! Can't wait to hear what your dealer found!

X2
Old 11-18-2006, 01:23 AM
Hummer Veteran

Rick is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourfourto
X2

Okay... are you ready for this sh!t??? After the dealer keeping my H3 for 2 days this is what they told me...

There is no problem! This sound is normal for this vehicle! The sound <they say> comes form the suspension shackle as it goes up and down during heavy braking. I told them that this is NOT something that has been happening since I bought the unit. It only happened after I slammed on the brakes to see this supposed stripper walking out in the parking lot. (Sorry... No pics!) She had a VERY short skirt, seamed stockings and quite an a$$!.... Anyway... It started grinding then and has done so, under heavy braking, ever since.

They say that they lubricated the suspension bushings, shackles, etc so that MAY help the problem. I called BS on that crap! I said that it started when I slammed on the brakes! It is DEFINITELY a rotational GRINDING noise! They said they had it up on the lift... they drove it for two days and could not find anything out of place! I told them of a few post I had seen online about an emergency brake line mount that may be the culprit. I also told them I have read about warped rotors. (I doubt that is the problem!)

They washed my car for me so it was soaked when I picked it up. The service tech asked to drive with me to try to duplicate it before I left.... No noise! I could swear I heard it in rush-hour driving on the way back but can't swear to it. (I'll test it tomorrow.)

The bottom line is... There is no TSB about this so the dealer has blinders on. I must say that Moore Cadillac Hummer in Tyson's Corner, VA was very nice about this. (Though potentially very WRONG!) They went out of their way to TRY to make me feel at ease about taking off in it.

I will post again in a day or two as to what it does now. I'm pretty sure it will do the same thing! If it does... I'll go out of my way to slam on the brakes to make what ever it is wear out and show the problem!

I guess we'll see!

If anyone has any comments... Post away!

Last edited by Rick : 11-18-2006 at 04:53 AM.
Old 11-18-2006, 04:05 AM
Hummer Guru

Well, that was disappointing, to say the least. I don't know what to think about this anymore. Mine WAS as bad as fourfourto's and I was livid. After they replaced the brakes and turned the rotors, it went away again. Although, it WAS back for a weekend about 2-3 months ago. I cringe everytime I come to a stop because I'm afraid I'm going to hear it. I can't imagine driving something with that loud sound. I think IF the sound hadn't gone away somewhat, I would have had to thought about trading it in. For those of you who haven't had the honor of driving an H3 with this particular problem .. you have NO idea how annoying and embarassing it is. Rick, please post if you hear it again over the weekend. Thanks for the update.
Old 11-18-2006, 04:34 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmmm3
Well, that was disappointing, to say the least. I don't know what to think about this anymore. Mine WAS as bad as fourfourto's and I was livid. After they replaced the brakes and turned the rotors, it went away again. Although, it WAS back for a weekend about 2-3 months ago. I cringe everytime I come to a stop because I'm afraid I'm going to hear it. I can't imagine driving something with that loud sound. I think IF the sound hadn't gone away somewhat, I would have had to thought about trading it in. For those of you who haven't had the honor of driving an H3 with this particular problem .. you have NO idea how annoying and embarassing it is. Rick, please post if you hear it again over the weekend. Thanks for the update.

Its very embarrassing
Old 07-10-2008, 09:00 PM
Hummer Novice

OU812 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
... you're driving along, maybe about 40mph. You see the light change a block up. You start slowing, then have to come to a harder stop ..not an immediate 'slam on the brake', but a quick hard stop. Jusssssst seconds before you immediately stop, there is this grind you can feel for 5 seconds before you are stopped. It sounds like it's coming from the rear right.

Rick and others was there ever any resolution to your rear brake grind, or are you just living with it?
Old 07-10-2008, 10:05 PM
Hummer Guru

It seems Rick hasn't been here since 11/06 ?
As for me it still makes noise
I found when I tied off the parking brake spring /lever the noise stopped so its not the suspention? I found a little brake lube on the pads will temporary stop the noise.
Im at 43K now at 49K Im going to bring it to the dealer and see if they came up with a fix by now?

I saved this F5put it up on the X forum some time ago,maybee I can talk the dealer into a brake job before warranty expires.

Subject: Brakes Grunt, Groan, Grinding Noise from Rear When Vehicle Comes to a Stop (Refinish Rear Rotors) #07-05-23-004 - (09/26/2007)
Models: 2006-2008 HUMMER H3

Condition
Some customers may comment on a grunt, groan or grinding noise coming from the rear of the vehicle when coming to a stop.

Cause
Rotor corrosion generates a slip-stick condition transferring vibration through the suspension.

REPLACE THE ROTORS ONLY IF THE ROTOR THICKNESS IS BELOW THE MINIMUM THICKNESS SPEC AFTER REFINISH.

Refinish the rear rotors by removing 0.4 mm from both rear rotor surfaces.

Do not replace the brake pads unless the condition requires it (i.e. excessively worn, damaged, or contaminated).

If the noise persists, a brake dampening compound may be applied to the back of each pad. This allows parts to slide freely and not vibrate when moving relative to each other.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:00 PM
Hummer Guru

Big Dad is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine started grinding today. It's the rears.