H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 02-24-2006, 12:27 PM
Hummer Veteran

Planohummer is an unknown quantity at this point

Obviously I can't speak for GM, but I've got two theories:

1)It's a quicker resolution to an issue if you can try numerous tests 'in the field'--such as cycling through the functions--as opposed to gathering info on replaced units as they come in through WPC and suspect shipping practices
2)Encoders aren't that expensive one at a time, but multiply that times 5000 units and add labor then the expense goes up

In the past B-W has been very proactive, and has sent engineers around the country(remember H-2 xfer cases in early 2003s?) so I've got a certain amount of faith in them trying to do the right thing. I'll also agree that at the end of the day, it's the end result that counts. Hopefully they'll do whatever it takes to get the issue fixed.

I'm convinced that the Stanadyne pump issue and the GM 5.7 diesel were a big part of why diesel has taken so long to catch on in the North American market. I owned a GM truck that went through 7 injector pumps before 100k miles. GM's reaction to the 6.5 diesel truck issue was pathetic and involved a lot of finger-pointing--so far I don't see that with any HUMMER issues, including this one.

We'd all like to see trucks that never break, but only time will tell what's more reliable.
Old 02-24-2006, 07:15 PM
Hummer Professional

Scouts Out is an unknown quantity at this point

hmmm a whole day today and not even a phone call to tell me what they did/didn't do. I gave the service manager about 30 minutes before closing and he said he'd call me back...... waiting.... waiting.... waiting....

Superior Blue, Adventure Package, Roof mounted off road lights, Auto, 6 Disk Monsoon with XM, Brush Guard, Tire Cover, Husky mud flaps, flat steps, black fuel door.

Other Cars.....

1980 Triumph TR8 3.5 litre V8
Old 02-24-2006, 07:50 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dscott:
hmmm a whole day today and not even a phone call to tell me what they did/didn't do. I gave the service manager about 30 minutes before closing and he said he'd call me back...... waiting.... waiting.... waiting.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe he hurt his finger pushing those buttons and can't use the phone.
Old 02-24-2006, 07:56 PM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Planohummer:
Obviously I can't speak for GM, but I've got two theories:

1)It's a quicker resolution to an issue if you can try numerous tests 'in the field'--such as cycling through the functions--as opposed to gathering info on replaced units as they come in through WPC and suspect shipping practices
2)Encoders aren't that expensive one at a time, but multiply that times 5000 units and add labor then the expense goes up

In the past B-W has been very proactive, and has sent engineers around the country(remember H-2 xfer cases in early 2003s?) so I've got a certain amount of faith in them trying to do the right thing. I'll also agree that at the end of the day, it's the end result that counts. Hopefully they'll do whatever it takes to get the issue fixed.

I'm convinced that the Stanadyne pump issue and the GM 5.7 diesel were a big part of why diesel has taken so long to catch on in the North American market. I owned a GM truck that went through 7 injector pumps before 100k miles. GM's reaction to the 6.5 diesel truck issue was pathetic and involved a lot of finger-pointing--so far I don't see that with any HUMMER issues, including this one.

We'd all like to see trucks that never break, but only time will tell what's more reliable. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, I pulled the top 200 warrany hit items on the H3 from day one to Feb. 1, and the encoder motor is not even on the list. TCCM is, but not as high up the list as I assumed it would be.
As for a quick resolution, they should have enough returned so that GM can put into test vehicles, or they can take apart for inspection. But, I might be wrong in that it has not hit the top 200, so there may not be that many returned.

As for you last paragraph, I could not agree more. I had a friend who had a diesel Eldorado, and after about twenty tows, he paid to have the diesel pulled and a gasoline engine installed (loved the car, but hated the engine).
He left the diesel emblems on the vehicle, and one day I asked if that did not confuse the gas jockey (for those youngsters out there, at one time, people actually pumped fuel into your car ). His return was, the "diesel" emblem was the best car theft control device known.
Old 02-25-2006, 02:33 AM
Hummer Professional

well the service "dude" finally got back to me on my way home. He said during his test drive he did not even make it 7 miles beofre all the waringa went off. He returned to the garage and the techies looked at it ad hooked it to what ever life support systems they have. Some where along the way Borg-Warner rep was called and got involved. The final decision was the encoder. Borg Warner ask GM not to install one that they had in stock but instead let them overnight one from their office. They are sure this is the fix and will have tehe part on Monday. That is ok, I miss mine, the red is nice but I am fond of the Blue. The service rep did mention that mine was one of the "earlier" production H3.

Superior Blue, Adventure Package, Roof mounted off road lights, Auto, 6 Disk Monsoon with XM, Brush Guard, Tire Cover, Husky mud flaps, flat steps, black fuel door.

Other Cars.....

Old 02-25-2006, 11:45 PM

MUDSUX is off the scale

f5fstop, Thanks for all the great info. I will try to readjust my brake and see what happens.

Dscott, I think mine is the later model. It was built in sept and the front d-rings had the center hole drilled to ease taking them off without taking the whole front end off.

This has got to be the most annoying thing on my H3. Everytime I get in the truck it happens, sometimes just the traction control, sometimes traction control and service 4wd. IT goes away when I restart the truck. There doesn't seem to be any reason why it happens. Sometimes over a bump, or turning left, or sitting still at a stop sign. It even happens when I turn the traction control off after the reset.
Old 02-27-2006, 06:25 PM
Hummer Professional

well I got a call from the "service dude" who put the Borg warner guy on the Phone, The BW guy say he would bet his job at BW that he fixed the problem. I asked him his salary and I think it sounds liek a fair deal, going to go pick it up in a few and see if I can make it home before the first light comes on. I hope it is fixed.

Other Cars.....

Old 02-27-2006, 06:37 PM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck. We will keep our fingers crossed it is fixed.

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights
Old 02-27-2006, 09:04 PM
Hummer Guru

Very interesting...hope the button pushing paid off and the right part gets replaced.
I can say the delivery to the dealers of the TCCMs is getting faster. Mine was actually delivered to the dealer the day after I was in service. However, the dingleberry parts guy held the order and didn't notify me until the roof rails were delivered. This was after I stressed to the service guy that I DO NOT WANT they rails until the new supply comes out.
Called the service writer a little while ago, and he was peed that the parts guy held the order until the roof rails were received, since the repair order clearly states call when new rails are available in May.
Anyway, they agreed it is a half-hour replacement, so I get it done on Wednesday after work.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:59 PM
Hummer Professional

Well I put almost 100 miles on my H3 on the way home and not even one light came on. The Borg Warner guys was sure that that was the cause. He seemed to think that a whole bunch of the encoder motors on a lot of H3s are bad, some will show now, some will later. He seemed to think that replacing them with any encoder motors other than those straight from Borg would be a waste. On the Good side, he thought the rest of the Borg Warner set up was "top of hte line"

Other Cars.....

Old 03-01-2006, 12:11 AM
Hummer Professional

Two whole days and not even a flicker. This is the longest it has gone without a error since the week I bought it home. The Borg guy and the dealer called to day to check, they apparently feel this may heal the TCM, and PCM errors (no idea what it means but as long as it works for my HUMMER). Was an appreciated touch doing a follow up call

Other Cars.....

Old 03-01-2006, 08:18 PM
Hummer Guru

Hope it stays that way. I had the TCCM replaced on mine today and all is well. I also had a U1300 code, which along with the other codes basically stated the TCCM had committed suicide, with the 1300 code, diagnosis was easy.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:12 PM
Hummer Professional

mountainbiker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Error codes and lots of B.S.

My lights have been modified so I am legal here in Europe

However, I am now getting StabiliTrack System "SERVICE STAB SYS" and Traction Control System "TRACTION FAILED" messges on my DIC. If I depress and hold the StabiliTrack for about 5 seconds, the additional messge of "STAB SYS OFF" is seen. If I depress the TCS button, it blinks for a few seconds and then goes out. No additional message is seen on the DIC.

I would guess--without a doubt--that this is due to the rewiring of the lights. That is, my turn signals (in order to show amber) are displayed through the clear lens (where my backup lights were). The turn signal functional had to be stopped from using the same bulb as the brake lights.

Any idea what I did? Is there an easy way to correct (other that rewiring it back to US way and starting again?
Old 10-30-2006, 11:07 PM
Hummer Veteran

bjc is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainbiker
If I depress and hold the StabiliTrack for about 5 seconds, the additional messge of "STAB SYS OFF" is seen. If I depress the TCS button, it blinks for a few seconds and then goes out. No additional message is seen on the DIC.

I'm not sure I can help regarding your electrical, but let's clear up the facts so someone else may be able to jump in...

I'm assuming your dash looks like this:

Name:  H3 Console.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  67.2 KB

If so, which button(s) are you pressing?
Birch White H3 Manual, Adventure Package, Sunroof, Trailering Package, Off-Road Lamps, Splashguards, Black Tubular Assist Steps, Black Crossbows, Mudder Mats, Ski Rack, Warn XD9000 w/ DOI Hawse Winch Bumper, DOI Prototype Skid Plates, M101A1 3/4 ton trailer.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:16 PM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjc
I'm assuming your dash looks like this: YES

Attachment 32439

If so, which button(s) are you pressing?

The right most buttons above the radio: the TCS and the StabiliTrack System buttons. My left most button is lit (4-Wheel High).
Old 10-31-2006, 12:23 AM
Hummer Authority

Wisha Haddan H3 is an unknown quantity at this point

The 2nd button from the right is for the rear locking differential, not stabilitrak or TCS. It only engages at a stop in 4-lo. It's normal for the locking diff button to blink and turn off if you're not in 4-lo.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:36 AM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisha Haddan H3
The 2nd button from the right is for the rear locking differential, not stabilitrak or TCS. It only engages at a stop in 4-lo. It's normal for the locking diff button to blink and turn off if you're not in 4-lo.
Hooah - roger that. However, the "SERVICE STAB SYS" and "TRACTION FAILED" messages are being displayed regardless of the buttons being pushed. (I have only 253 miles, so I haven't even driven the darn thing enough to even know all the buttons. The only driving of it I have done is basically from the port to the Auto Skills Center on my base.)
Old 10-31-2006, 12:44 AM
Hummer Guru

fourfourto is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainbiker
Hooah - roger that. However, the "SERVICE STAB SYS" and "TRACTION FAILED" messages are being displayed regardless of the buttons being pushed. (I have only 253 miles, so I haven't even driven the darn thing enough to even know all the buttons. The only driving of it I have done is basically from the port to the Auto Skills Center on my base.)

I dont know if this is related .
Considering it has no miles,battery troubles also and just off the boat.

I know when auto's and motorcycles are shipped the battery is usualy removed.( or removed by customs at some point)
I've heard of problems with newer autos after the battery is disconected to long.
It might have to be brought to the dealer to check it out.
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.

Last edited by fourfourto : 10-31-2006 at 12:48 AM.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:58 AM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourfourto
When auto's and motorcycles are shipped the battery is usualy removed. I've heard of problems with newer autos after battery is disconected to long. Might have to be brought to a dealer to check it out.
Yeah, over the years I have heard of battery issues with shipped vehicles. Mine was on the boad for less than 3 weeks, so you would have hoped that it could have survived. Plus, I have heard the shippers disconnect the battery but that sounds time consuming and a pain for a boat load of vehicles. I am wondering if the battery remained connected and maybe discharged from parasitic load(s) on it--thus causing the battery to sulfate. Finally, I don't know the state of the battery before I received it, or before it was shipped.

I want to take the darn thing to the dealer, but being in Germany it is a challenge due to the distance and getting the time off (especially if they have to keep it a few days or order parts).
Old 10-31-2006, 02:45 AM
Hummer Authority

partsguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Biker I'm glad you had solved your problem!!!Great to be legal again?
Sorry I couldn't help...........