H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 11-11-2008, 02:05 AM
Hummer Novice

HUMVEEJR is on a distinguished road
Question transmission, please help.

Hi to all. I recently bought a 2003 H2 to replace my modified Grand Cherokee(never was a fan of chrysler) it has 53K miles, and I loved every second and every inch of trail I took it on so far. BUT, last night hooked up my trailer and me and my wife took our 2 quads about 10 minutes out of town to have some fun. When we were done, loaded it up and proceded to leave but noticed that the speedo was not working and also as I got onto the road my transmission did not shift into higher gears, stays in 1st. I maintain my vehicles meticulously and this one is no exception, after a recent 3 day trip for some serious offroading I had all the fluids replaced, the tranny I noticed was about a quart high though, dexron VI was used by the mechanic. I just don't see how this would affect an otherwise perfectly performing tranny( the old fluid was not burned either)and the speedo?? Sorry about the long write up, but I took it to the dealer(only one in town) and after telling me I quote "don't you know that GM builds complete junk, that is why there is so many mechanics here!!" The mechanic proceded to tell me that my clutch plates are probably seized and that I need a new tranny. Now, am I stupid to think that I should not take the vehicle to a place that does not even believe in it's own product!! Also I am mechanically inclined and do a lot of my own work on all my vehicles and from my experience the tranny doesn't just quit out of the blue, especially when reverse park neutral and drive(only in 1st)work perfect. Someone please shed some light on this for me because I love this thing and cannot believe that such a thing could happen. Thank you in advance for your help.\luke
Old 11-11-2008, 03:19 AM
Hummer Veteran

Gunner_45 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: transmission, please help.

I had all the fluids replaced, the tranny I noticed was about a quart high though, dexron VI was used by the mechanic

Was the color of the fluid ok? Not pinkish or anything was it?

-Author Unknown
Old 11-11-2008, 03:28 AM
Hummer Expert

MONSTERMATT is an unknown quantity at this point

IGNITION SWITCH????
Old 11-11-2008, 05:24 AM
Hummer Novice

Sorry guys I posted my question twice by mistake. The color of the fluid is perfect, no smell or anything like that. As to the ignition switch after reading some of your guys replies to other members, when i was at the dealer i asked the mechanics about it, they told me it has nothing to do with the transmission. Well I bought one anyway and will install tomorrow, I will keep you posted as to the results, thanks for the quick replies. Luke
Old 11-11-2008, 07:48 AM
Hummer Authority

HUMTECH is an unknown quantity at this point

The tech who said ign switch has nothing to do with trans problems is clueless. There is a service bulletin about it. Ign switch can drop ign 1 voltage to the tccm and cause all kinds of problems. Causes the trans to go into limp mode when voltage is lost
Old 11-11-2008, 06:23 PM
Hummer Expert

MONSTERMATT is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMTECH
The tech who said ign switch has nothing to do with trans problems is clueless. There is a service bulletin about it. Ign switch can drop ign 1 voltage to the tccm and cause all kinds of problems. Causes the trans to go into limp mode when voltage is lost
YES, What dealer are you talking to??
Old 11-11-2008, 08:15 PM
Hummer Novice

I fully agree that is why Ireally want to get to the bottom of this with this forums help. The dealer in question is way up north from where most of you are, which is where I am from. Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. It's called Southgate, I couldn't believe what I was hearing the first time around. If that's the kind of attitude at all of GM's operations, no wonder they are in trouble.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:15 PM
Hummer Novice

So I changed the switch this morning and problem persists, f&*k! Do you guys think it's possible I snagged something on a branch or a tree, there were a few bushes I had to get through to get to the quad site?? If so where on these trucks would I find the connectors that would cause this?
Old 11-11-2008, 09:17 PM
Hummer Novice

Flesh is on a distinguished road

Do you have a check engine light on?
Old 11-11-2008, 09:21 PM
Hummer Novice

No, that is one of the problems. At least then I would know the diagnostics are picking something up. I will go and get a scanner today and see if anything pops up. In the meantime any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 11-11-2008, 09:39 PM
Hummer Expert

IRA51 is on a distinguished road

TELL US WHERE YOU ARE LOCATED AND SOMEONE WILL GIVE YOU A LEAD TO A GOOD SHOP .
you have.
-- Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-11-2008, 09:51 PM
Hummer Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRA51
TELL US WHERE YOU ARE LOCATED AND SOMEONE WILL GIVE YOU A LEAD TO A GOOD SHOP .

I am in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, I don't know how many members are from around here. Also I just had a thought, maybe it might have something to do with it. The day this happened, I fueled up and forgot to put the cap on when I was towing my quads. I drove for about 15miles before I noticed it, check engine light never came on though.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:56 PM
Hummer Novice

Its mostlikely gonna be a speed sensor. I cant remember if its on the back of the transmissions on these, or the transfer case.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:59 PM
Hummer Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flesh
Its mostlikely gonna be a speed sensor. I cant remember if its on the back of the transmissions on these, or the transfer case.

Thanks, I will crawl underneath it before I leave for work and have a look see if anything is torn up.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:06 AM
Hummer Expert

IRA51 is on a distinguished road

if it's a speed sensor ,a scaner will work ,it should have a stored code . some times it is a loose or coroded conection also .
you have.
-- Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-12-2008, 10:23 PM
Hummer Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRA51
if it's a speed sensor ,a scaner will work ,it should have a stored code . some times it is a loose or coroded conection also .

We have success!! After crawling underneath with a good trouble light one more time, I was yanking on every wire and harness I could find, and what do you know... The O2 sensor wire was ripped off of the body harness as was the (what I think it is anyway) speed sensor wire on top of the transfer case unit. The plug on that one is all ripped up, but I was able to get the 2 wires into the connector just so i could try and drive it, sure enough that was it. Now this must have been a bit of a freak occurence because whatever grabbed on this wire went through the skid pans, around everything else and all the way to the top of the t-case. Thanks to all of you for your help and I will be back to chat and post some pics of our numerous offroad excursions. Also if anybody knows what the part number is for this connector it would make it easier to order a new one. Cheers. Luke
Old 11-12-2008, 11:20 PM
Hummer Novice

Congrats, now try to get your check engine light taken care of so you know when you have certain problems.