H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 11-11-2008, 02:03 AM
Hummer Novice

HUMVEEJR is on a distinguished road
Question Transmission problem??New owner.

Hi to all. I recently bought a 2003 H2 to replace my modified Grand Cherokee(never was a fan of chrysler) it has 53K miles, and I loved every second and every inch of trail I took it on so far. BUT, last night hooked up my trailer and me and my wife took our 2 quads about 10 minutes out of town to have some fun. When we were done, loaded it up and proceded to leave but noticed that the speedo was not working and also as I got onto the road my transmission did not shift into higher gears, stays in 1st. I maintain my vehicles meticulously and this one is no exception, after a recent 3 day trip for some serious offroading I had all the fluids replaced, the tranny I noticed was about a quart high though, dexron VI was used by the mechanic. I just don't see how this would affect an otherwise perfectly performing tranny( the old fluid was not burned either)and the speedo?? Sorry about the long write up, but I took it to the dealer(only one in town) and after telling me I quote "don't you know that GM builds complete junk, that is why there is so many mechanics here!!" The mechanic proceded to tell me that my clutch plates are probably seized and that I need a new tranny. Now, am I stupid to think that I should not take the vehicle to a place that does not even believe in it's own product!! Also I am mechanically inclined and do a lot of my own work on all my vehicles and from my experience the tranny doesn't just quit out of the blue, especially when reverse park neutral and drive(only in 1st)work perfect. Someone please shed some light on this for me because I love this thing and cannot believe that such a thing could happen. Thank you in advance for your help.\luke
Old 11-11-2008, 03:18 AM
Hummer Veteran

Gunner_45 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Transmission problem??New owner.

I had all the fluids replaced, the tranny I noticed was about a quart high though, dexron VI was used by the mechanic

Was the color of the fluid ok? Not pinkish or anything was it?

-Author Unknown
Old 11-11-2008, 05:19 AM
Hummer Novice

HUMVEEJR is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Transmission problem??New owner.

No,the color was fine, doesn't smell burnt or anything like that.