H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 07-28-2009, 04:06 AM
Elcova Newbie

bimmer2.8 is on a distinguished road
Default 2007 H2 test drive, now i have some Qs

Wife and I took a 2007 with only 36k miles on it for a test drive today.

1. the key was stuck in the ignition, wouldn't turn over the SUV, and was acting weird. kinda reminded me of when the ignition switch went out in my dad's caravan when i was young. is this a common issue??

2. when i floored it.....it went nowhere....it was really really really slow. they say 0-60 in 10secs....but not by my but dyno. the 4x4 buttons were blinking and the 4x4 light was on on the dash and the check engine symbol was on. something wrong with this thing to make it goes so slow. my wife's 2002 3.0 x5 could out run this thing. my 5.4ltr screw f150 could out run this thing. anything common with those lights on the dash?

3. reliability??? comments on that for an 06 to 07 model.

4. i don't care about gas mileage....the x5 gets about 13-15 in the city...so the H2 is not much worse. why people give it such a hard time is beyond me. my 01 screw f150 gets 10.8 in the city....5.4ltr, there all over the place.

5. blind spots in real life driving....how bad are they....the wife will be driving it....5'8" small lady....didn't seem like there was any blind spots to speak of while sitting in it and driving around the parking lot (didn't want to move car seat out of my x5, we weren't going to buy this one anyways...only see how the interior was.)

6. i don't want my wife or 9 month old to be part of a hate crime because of the tree huggers out there.....so how is the hostility towards driving this thing that you guys/gals have noticed when you drive around?

thanks for the time and energy you spent helping me out ;0) i appreciate it. hopefully i can return the favor.

later,

Hankzt3r
Old 07-28-2009, 07:09 AM
Hummer Expert

Badace is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 2007 H2 test drive, now i have some Qs

Good ?'s.

I would just tell those tree hugging douche bags, the Obama's burn more fuel and have a Carbon foot print big enough to equal 100000 h2's on the road for 50 years each time they take the private jet to Paris to buy some $1000 sneakers so suck my fat D^$&!

As far as the key, there is some trick to it I think. I am in the market for an 06-07 too. Good luck.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:27 AM
Elcova Rookie

NYGirl H2 is on a distinguished road

Hi-
Sounds like the 07 you test drove definitely had some issues. I have an 08 LE so unfortunately I can't tell you if those prblems are common with the older models.

As far as gas mileage, I found it's not really as bad as everyone thinks. I get about 13 around town and 15 on the highway. The TrailBlazer EXT I had before this wasn't a whole lot better. It's funny though that the first comment people usually make is Wow, you must get horrible gas mileage on that thing!

I found the blind spots not to be significant (I'm 5'8" also). Once you know where they are you become accustomed to double checking before you back up,etc.

Driving a Hummer is certainly an attention getter both good and bad. I have to say though 99% of the comments I get are good and I haven't had any real incidents. People will stop you to talk about it and ask questions especially if they're looking into buying one themselves. Once in awhile I'll get a stupid comment from a guy who's jealous that a girl is driving the truck instead of him. Oh well...

The best thing is that I feel safe when I'm driving it with my 4 kids in the car and of course they love all of the attention we get-lol.

Good luck on your search and let us know when you've found the right one.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:44 PM
Hummer Veteran

transam95 is on a distinguished road

Hey boss. I think the H2 IS the best choice for you. Now as far s that particular 07 you drove I say keep looking. I just bout a 05 in Jan with less than 15k on it did have a similiar ignition issue but they fixed it on spot. I believe the ignition cylinder itself gets out of sync which is what they said lol. My 4x4 lights dont blink tho so be wary of that. And the check engine light should not be on. H2 is no speed demon but it should not be that much of a slouch. Hope youget one I have no regrets.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:16 PM
Hummer Professional

Ed G. is off the scale

Key stuck in the ignition switch is common and usually just needs the switch replaced.

Check engine light could be something as simple as having a loose gas cap. Unscrew cap then screw cap on and make sure it's tight. Within a couple days of driving the light will go out.

Flashing 4x4 light not sure about that.

Reduced power usually means that the truck has gone into the "limp" mode due to codes that the engine, transmission or transfercase have sent to computer.

Why would someone let you test drive this truck in this condition?

Last edited by Ed G. : 07-28-2009 at 05:16 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:46 PM
Hummer Authority

HummerJim is an unknown quantity at this point

Key stuck in the igntion sounds like a dead battery - that happens on H2s if your battery is dead. Did they have to jump start it? A dead battery can sometimes affect the driveability when the codes reset. 4X4 lights blinking could be LOTS OF SERIOUS things or something minor like a loose wire, especially with the transfer case sending the code. Visiblity is no problem once you get used to it. I'd DEFINITELY have a mechanic look this H2 over and check the codes. It would be money well spent.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:01 PM
Hummer Veteran

StockStar is on a distinguished road

I live in a high altitude city (5200+ feet above sea level) and when I floor'd it..... It catches out nicely with no issues. Avoid this 07 and keep looking.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:31 PM
Hummer Veteran

Cesardajr is on a distinguished road

since it's a 07 with 36k miles and i assume with a clean title, ask the seller to take it to the dealer to have the items fixed before you consider buying it.
it comes with a 4 year/50k mile warranty. if they refuse to fixed his issues then walk away from it...
37x12.50xR17 BFG Mud Terrain's
Ready Lift Front Leveling Kit 2 1/2"
Cognito Steering Support Kit
Cognito Idler Pivot Kit
Fabtech Steering Stabilizer
Fabtech Tie Rods
Power Slot Slotted Rotors
Crown Performance Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
Off Road Unlimited Black Diff Cover & RP Diff Fluid
Hypertech Power Programmer
True Flow Foam Air Filter
Old 07-28-2009, 06:32 PM
Hummer Expert

HummerMann is on a distinguished road

I would stay away from that H2 and keep looking! I have an '06 bought new and have only had it in the shop once for a new BCM (body control module). It runs great and with 48,000 miles runs like new and accelerates well.

Hummer, like nothing else
Old 07-28-2009, 07:49 PM
Hummer Veteran

Cazador is on a distinguished road

Truck should still be under warranty. Issues should be sorted prior to purchase and on GM's dime, not yours or the dealers. I wouldn't be too concerned about the issues you mentioned until you get a diagnosis from an authorized dealer.

Reliability? Mine's been great. 2006 H2, just turned 43,000 miles. Bought it with almost 28,000 miles. I've driven it everywhere from Texas, to Arkansas and Colorado and New Mexico with no troubles. Handles the snow and mud on the family ranch like it wasn't even there and is super comfortable to boot.

I've got nothing but good things to say about mine.

Negative attention? Well that depends a lot on where you live. I live in the MidWest, where most everybody has ties to a farm/ranch so I don't get a lot of grief.

I get the occasional bird from a greenie, but that's about it. No vandalism yet(knocking on wood)

I did have one lady who was just bursting at the seams to lecture/deride me at the gas pump once... She had flipped me off while passing me about a block earlier and when I got in the turn lane to pull into the gas station, she swerved her little $hitbox in front of me and cut me off. She pulled into the gas station, I followed and pulled up to a pump. She drove all the way around the station and then pulled up facing me...By the time she got situated in front of me I had already commenced pumping gas and glancing over I could see the anticipation in her eyes...she looked like a chesire cat....she sat there for a moment in her car and I could tell she was trying to structure her words for the verbal barrage she was about to unleash on me. Now, I was standing behind my driver's side door which I had left open....she exited her car, I shut my door(did I mention that my State allows open carry?) and looked at her and smiled...she stood there...just stood there, frozen...she kept looking from my face, to my truck, to the Wilson Combat CQB sitting on my waist in an OWB holster. It was almost like you could hear her trying to process the information. She just stood there....so I asked, "can I help you ma'am?" Then her breathing resumed, the color came back to her face and she gave me a very sheepish, "no" and got back in her $hitbox and pulled out onto the road.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:11 PM
Elcova Rookie

NYGirl H2 is on a distinguished road

That's a great story. One thing I will never understand is why people feel the need to voice their opinions when it's obviously none of their business. I wouldn't go purposely out of my way to tell someone what an ugly little piece of junk they're driving so I'm always taken aback when someone does that to me.

I had a woman driving a tiny Mini Cooper stare me down at the gas station and I could tell she was just itching to say something degrading to me about the truck and the environment, blah, blah, blah. After I finished getting my gas and swung around in front of her car and waited there for her to say something she just turned white and wouldn't even look up. I think she thought I was going to roll over her. Luckily I had my kids in the car or I would have-haha. People can be such idiots sometimes.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:34 PM
Hummer Expert

Intercooled is off the scale

My ignition switch went in my 05. They key wouild get stuck and not come out until after multiple attempts to start and restart the truck. I noticed right before the switch started to go that my truck was terrible sluggish. GM tols me that the ignition switch is tied into the transmission and when in drive I was realli in 1st or 2nd gear according to the computer. All this went down very quickly over a coupe days and then had it fixed, they said it was common in the hummers. Good luck , you'll find a nice one out there, and you'll love it!
Old 07-29-2009, 01:02 AM
Hummer Authority

mikejr is an unknown quantity at this point

I am on my third H2 and have had nothing but great luck with them. I wouldnt own another vehicle to be honest with you as my daily driver. The only issue I had was a chaffed wire on my 08 that the dealer fixed right up. My Dad is on his 2nd H2. Rock solild machines in my opinion.

As far as haters bashing you. Never once have I been flipped off or had anything bad said to me or about any of the h2's. Everyone wants to check it out, sit in it and of course know how much fuel it sucks down. I get 11 around town, but I like to hear the roar of the engine so I am a bit of a lead foot.

Acceleration wise, you will find the 08's and newer to be quicker due to more HP and the 6 speed tranny which I love. Only problem with the 08's and newer is they need premium fuel to run right.

You cannot go wrong with the H2, just stay away from the one you talked about. It certianly had issues going on there.

2008 H2 Lux Series, Slate Blue, everything but the air suspension - sold

2006 H2 Lux Series, Uplevel Chrome, DVD's, Slate Blue, Sun Roof - sold

"If Life Gives You Limes, Make Margaritas" - Jimmy Buffett
Old 07-30-2009, 12:21 AM
Hummer Novice

GMPartsman is on a distinguished road

I am a parts manager at a GM dealership in New Mexico and as far as the flashing 4x4 light, well, usually thats an indication of the encoder motor or the actuator going out. it can get quite expensive to fix so i wouldn't mess with that particular 07.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:01 PM
Hummer Veteran

StockStar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMPartsman
I am a parts manager at a GM dealership in New Mexico and as far as the flashing 4x4 light, well, usually thats an indication of the encoder motor or the actuator going out. it can get quite expensive to fix so i wouldn't mess with that particular 07.

There it is! Straight from the GMPartsman himself. Do you have any NM Hummer hate stories
Old 07-30-2009, 08:41 PM
Hummer Veteran

GMPartsman
would that part be covered under warranty???
Cognito Idler Pivot Kit
Fabtech Tie Rods
Old 07-31-2009, 08:36 PM
Hummer Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesardajr
GMPartsman
would that part be covered under warranty???

I don't see why not, however, if the vehicle came with the 3yr 36k warranty which is usually standard, the dealer that the vehicle gets taken to would have the ultimate say seeing as how the vehicle already has 36k. I've dealt with dealerships that are jerks and wouldn't cover it. It's up to each individual service dept and their standing with GM whether they will goodwill it or not.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:46 PM
Hummer Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by StockStar
There it is! Straight from the GMPartsman himself. Do you have any NM Hummer hate stories

LOL not yet. well here and there people I know trying to jab at me with little comments. I had one guy tell me that my H2 looked like a bus. I just laughed and told him "well you know that girl you're in love with? She LOVES my Hummer!" lol he didn't say much after that. I don't really care what people say, I didn't buy it for gas mileage and it gets parked in MY driveway every night. lol
Old 08-01-2009, 06:33 PM
Hummer Veteran

i thought 2007's had 4yr 50k mile warrantys
Cognito Idler Pivot Kit
Fabtech Tie Rods
Old 08-01-2009, 08:19 PM
Hummer Veteran

Cazador is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesardajr
i thought 2007's had 4yr 50k mile warrantys

They do. So do, 2006 models. 2006 was the first year for the 4/50.