H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 04-18-2006, 05:22 PM
Hummer Expert

Klint is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the 7 speaker monsoon package 6disk changer but I want to get a better sub the 8' that came with it isn't working for me I want to get a 12 or 2 10's a base tube "6 8' subs" in a tube
how hard was it to install do I have to take my radio out or can I just unplug my 8 that is already there?
Old 04-18-2006, 05:35 PM
Hummer Veteran

Digital-Audiophile is off the scale

I am also wondering if you can just unplug the monsoon 8" and replace it with something better like an MTX.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:16 PM
Hummer Veteran

Humm3r_H3 is off the scale

id like to know too. thanks
Old 04-19-2006, 07:56 PM
Hummer Professional

Idaho-Hummer is off the scale

would like to know as well. Will let you know in a couple of months when I change it out. Just need to figure out what amp i will us for the sub. Plan on using JL sub.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:08 PM
Hummer Professional

BACKNBLACK is off the scale

The sub is not the issue, the issue is the component speakers in the front, tweeters and rear. Change those out and or place capacitors on the speakers to limit bass frequency and you will see a change. The subwoofer can handle all the bass you can give it (FROM THE FACTORY AMP) as you turn up the bass the components distort. Even if you Replace the fac sub with the JL W80 (Small Enclosure Sub) it is not enough air space for the H3 Sub Enclosure.

My Sugg is that you replace all of the components in the front rear and tweeters with Boston Acoustics or MB quart. This will make your system complete.
Number# 11 2007 H3x Desert Orange

SOLD BUT NOT FORGOTTON
1995 H1 350 HT GAS Black
2001 H1 Open Top Black
2004 H2 SUV Yellow
2004 H2 SUV Black
2005 H2 SUT Black
2006 H3 ADV Black
2006 H3 ADV RED
2007 H3x Desert Orange
2008 H2 Black/Sedona
2009 H3T Alpha Solar Flare
Old 04-20-2006, 01:17 AM
Hummer Veteran

kram is an unknown quantity at this point

I posted a message a while back about the Monsoon system and took a little flack about it from people wiith the system saying how great it was....... the biggest problem with the Monsoon system (and with the Bose in my H2) is that they design the system, put the money in the amp/changer/radio and then cut corners and still use cheap paper cone speakers. The Monsoon system will never sound much better than what you have........ your only option is to change out ALL of the speakers....... there are many good options, although I found that the Infinty car speakers are a great value. I put the Kappa Perfect 6.1 in the front, and the Kappa 92.5 in the rear doors....... since the vehicle is my son's we went with the Eclipse 15" 9152 subwoofer in the rear with a JL Audio 500/1 amp to run the sub and a Rockford Fosgate 4 channel amp to run the others.......... the only problem is that with the vehicle doors closed, in the garage with the door closed we can only hear it playing at the neighbors house 3 doors down...........
Old 04-20-2006, 01:31 AM
Hummer Veteran

kram is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't seem to upload any pics, but we just built a new box with the Eclipse 9182 Pro 18" subwoofer to put in the back of his H3....... this puppy is HUGE and requires lots of power...... I got a Rockford Fosgate T20001BD amp with 2500 watts to run the sub. We are getting installed for his 16th birthday. I'll try to add a pic........... if anybody lives around the Houston area and is interested in the box/eclipse 15" sub/ JL 500/1 amp package let me know............
Old 04-20-2006, 02:19 AM
Hummer Expert

kodiakz is off the scale

You could upgrade the sub to any one that will fit. Keep in mind, however, that the monsoon amp does not have a ton of output and you might consider upgrading at least the sub amp if you beef it up.
\'05 Slate Blue Sut w/ Magnusun, JBA headers, custom exhaust, 22\" MC2 RT5 wheels, Pioneer AVIC Z1 nav, Passport SRX, Vizualogic A1000 dual, bi xenons, fog xenons, dual optimas, and just gettin\' started!
Old 04-20-2006, 03:36 AM
Hummer Expert

Klint is an unknown quantity at this point

could I hook up a sub that has the amp built in to the cable going to the sub in the back or would it blow something? Stupid question I know
Old 04-20-2006, 02:25 PM
Hummer Professional

Klint that, to me, did not make much sense.

You saying that you want to use the moonsoon amp and then use another amp to then drive the sub that your going to put in the H3?

If yes, then it would be pointless because you would have to then get interface module that convert the "high" voltage, coming off the moonsoon amp, and step it down to a "low" voltage for the amp that you are going to put in the H3. Other wise your just going to drive the amp into a clipping mode all the time if not burn up/destroy the amp. But if you went with a Bazooka, yuck, powered sub then this could be done since they do have "high" level inputs and do not require a "high" level input converter
Old 04-20-2006, 02:38 PM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by BACKNBLACK:
The sub is not the issue, the issue is the component speakers in the front, tweeters and rear. Change those out and or place capacitors on the speakers to limit bass frequency and you will see a change. The subwoofer can handle all the bass you can give it (FROM THE FACTORY AMP) as you turn up the bass the components distort. Even if you Replace the fac sub with the JL W80 (Small Enclosure Sub) it is not enough air space for the H3 Sub Enclosure.

My Sugg is that you replace all of the components in the front rear and tweeters with Boston Acoustics or MB quart. This will make your system complete.

BacknBlack,

have you figured out the space of the sub enclosure that comes with the moonsoon system?

The 8w0 needs 1.02 cu. ft while the the 6w0 needs 0.342 cu. ft but a 8w3 only needs 0.79 cu ft. Just a thought.
Old 04-20-2006, 04:52 PM
Hummer Professional

BACKNBLACK is off the scale

Not yet but judging by the enclosure size I would say its approx .4 or .5 CU Ft. Not sure of the depth yet.
Number# 11 2007 H3x Desert Orange

SOLD BUT NOT FORGOTTON
1995 H1 350 HT GAS Black
2001 H1 Open Top Black
2004 H2 SUV Yellow
2004 H2 SUV Black
2005 H2 SUT Black
2006 H3 ADV Black
2006 H3 ADV RED
2007 H3x Desert Orange
2008 H2 Black/Sedona
2009 H3T Alpha Solar Flare