H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 03-14-2007, 08:11 PM
Hummer Veteran

NYSUT is on a distinguished road
Default 2" lift and 37's???

wanted to go 6" fabtech but...
really wanna keep my stock black rims and have a friend who had a lifted avalanche (12"? w/ 36's?) who said it was too much hassle
may just try 2" lift (body lift?) and toyo 37's
any suggestions/advice always appreciated

thanks,

bill
Old 03-14-2007, 08:18 PM
Hummer Veteran

Tallowood_Air is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 2" lift and 37's???

my 37"s fit good enough for me with no lift, and I'd rather NO lift than a Body lift.
37" Kumho Road Venture MT KL71 on 24" ZINIK Mazotti
Pioneer AVIC-Z1 HDD navigation; 2 x 12" JL W6; Custom Box w/ Lights
Old 03-15-2007, 01:21 AM
Hummer Veteran

tbuckley is on a distinguished road

For toooooo many reasons to list... stay away from a body lift. For 37"s you should not need any lift? Boys, agree???

May your glass be ever full.
May the roof over your head be always strong.
And may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you're dead. ~ Irish Blessing
Old 03-15-2007, 01:37 AM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep, go buy your tires and forget the lift if all you want is 2". You;ll be able to flex the truck to it;s max and have very little rubbing. You;ll get a little on your swaybars (no big deal). You;ll want to upgrade your steering stabilzer too. It makes a HUGE difference.

You should be just fine with those tires on the stock rims. If you have air susp. you may want to do the rear sensor arm mod.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:04 AM
Hummer Authority

tomp is an unknown quantity at this point

Do what Tim said on the rear if you have air. If you have coil rear, do the coil spacers. Cognito 2-4" leveling kit with their control arms would work nice on the front
Old 03-15-2007, 05:15 PM
Hummer Novice

WVHummer is on a distinguished road

Just got my 37 Toyo's yesterday and they look great with NO lift. Dont rub unless at a full turn and barely rub then. Looks like a completley different vehicle. Going to post pics as soon as I get a chance.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:06 PM
Elcova Newbie

NashVegas HII is on a distinguished road

Sorry to be a total Newbie, but what is the rear sensor modification for rear air ride?
thanks for the info.

post those pics!!!
Old 03-15-2007, 11:28 PM
Hummer Professional

Captain of the Titanic is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a 2" body lift on my '99 Tahoe, and it SUCKED. Damn thing swayed like a sunflower in the breeze.

I finally put a 6" suspension lift on it which seemed to correct the problem (mostly).

Stay away from body lifts. You'll regret it!
2006 Twilight Maroon H2, Procomp 6001 rims, 35" X 12.5 X 17 Xterrain tires, Ram over-the-hood brush guard, Jet Stage I, Warn 9.5 winch and winch bumper, Hedman Headers, K&N Air charger, Lightforce driving lights, a little CHROME for good measure

2006 Victory Red H3 (The Titanic), R.I.P. - It didn't float

1968 Mustang GT convertible

2005 Harley Davidson Hertitage Softail, Stage I, Vance and Hines Big Shot Longs - Sold

2004 Jaguar S-Type (the wifemobile)
Old 03-16-2007, 04:11 PM
Hummer Veteran

thanks as usual
prob. gonna just go 37" toyos w/ no lift

bill
Old 03-18-2007, 07:08 PM
Hummer Expert

drmiles is off the scale

Go here: http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=24657

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashVegas HII
Sorry to be a total Newbie, but what is the rear sensor modification for rear air ride?
thanks for the info.

post those pics!!!
Old 03-24-2007, 10:08 PM
Hummer Veteran

Just had my spare rim finally swapped out to black and saw toyos at the place. Put me back on the 37 kick. Got a quote for toyo 37 14 r17 of 295 a wheel installed (at tires). What do u guys think? 37 u guys seem to agree will have min rub on st rims w no lift. How much probs w speedo, gears, susp, steering w these tires? Or can I just get the tires and drive away happy?

Thanks again,

Bill

Last edited by NYSUT : 03-24-2007 at 10:11 PM.
Old 03-25-2007, 03:40 AM
Hummer Expert

drmiles is off the scale

Ok NY, here we go. If you get 37" tires you cannot go wider than 12.5 wide or you will have rubbing. The guys that put on the Toyo's, have rubbing, unless you stick with the stock rim, or a rim the same width and backspacing. If you go with a wider rim they will rub. Even then the Toyo's will rub on the back air sensor if it is not repositioned.

Hope that this makes sense.
Old 03-25-2007, 05:42 AM
Hummer Veteran

mrlittle is on a distinguished road

ny were did you get that price for tires??????????
Old 03-25-2007, 03:42 PM
Hummer Veteran

Was def gonna stick w stock rims that were p/c black. Price believe it or not was a written quote from an sts tires in long island ny. Th the price seemed real good. Timgo did mention upgrading st stabiliz also. Gearing a prob???
Thanks guys.
Just adding dark tint, black spare rim, black skid plate. Will post new pics soon. Bill

Last edited by NYSUT : 03-25-2007 at 07:36 PM.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:17 PM
Hummer Veteran

JoeHummer is on a distinguished road

Like the ride. I originally thought the white that I have needed all the chrome. Now I want to get rid of it all and go with all Black. What a hassel changing minds.

By the way, what do you think of the 4" lift, I think by Rancho or Rough Country, can't remember????
Old 03-27-2007, 11:22 PM
Elcova Newbie

NashVegas HII is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD
As already stated. you don't need any lift to run 37's. But this makes for interesting reading regarding leveliing/lifting the front;

Geometry of the GM front suspension - almost a good design
The GM front IFS suspension design on these models lacks in certain areas that limits the suspension travel of the front of a non-lifted vehicle. The first problem is the front shocks are too short, bottoming out at full extension before the upper control arms ever touch the droop travel bump-stops. This is extremely hard on the shocks, and premature failure of the shocks is unavoidable. The second problem is that GM upper control arm hits the droop stop on the frame before you ever reach the maximum potential of the travel of the front suspension. Even on 4wd models, the front CV axles have more travel potential than GM provides you from the factory. We believe this is a design flaw on the 8-lug models.

Cheaper leveling kits, don?t waste your money!
These GM models come with a hefty rake to them, lower in the front by at least 2?, undesirable by many owners. Some owners would just like a small amount of lift in the front to be able to run a slightly larger tire. There are a number of companies out there selling a leveling kit that consists of new torsion bar adjuster keys, and claim that they will not affect the ride of the vehicle. This is a false claim. It is a fallacy that cranking the torsion bars up on a vehicle stiffens the ride. This just is not true, but cranking the torsion bars can affect other areas of the suspension system that will give a harsh ride. Just cranking the torsion bars, or adding the new adjusters preloads the suspension more to raise the height of the front of the vehicle. The problem is that the shocks and upper control arms bottom out to soon, giving the harsh ride. By cranking the torsion bars, you are not changing the spring rate of the torsion bars. There are also companies selling leveling kits that consist of the new torsion bar adjuster keys, and slightly longer front shocks. While this kit will ride better than the previously stated kit, you only gain a fraction of an inch of travel, because even though the shock is not bottoming out any more, the factory upper control arm is still bottoming out on the bump-stop way too soon, again giving a harsh ride. In fact, the torsion bar adjuster keys are not even needed in most cases, because the factory adjusters could have been turned up all the way to achieve the same ride height. Just purchasing the longer shocks would be a better investment than purchasing the new torsion bar adjusters.

The Cognito Leveling Kit transforms your front suspension into a superior engineered design!

Lets face it, you get what you pay for! The Cognito leveling system is engineered to transform the factory ?almost good design?, into a superior design by maximizing the travel of the factory independent front suspension on the 2001-2005 GM 8-Lug models. We create a better system in several different ways.

1. First, we offer either new shock brackets that replace the factory shock bracket that is bolted to the factory lower control arm, or aftermarket extended length shocks. If you are on a budget, the new shock brackets extend the lower shock mounting point so that the factory front shocks can be used and will not bottom out at full suspension droop.

2. Second, we use replacement tubular upper control arms that relocate the bump stop on the a-arm to maximize the down travel of the front suspension. This allows the suspension to cycle without being prematurely stopped, and creating the harsh ride that occurs when just turning up the torsion bars, or changing the torsion bar adjuster keys. The Cognito tubular upper control arms use a polyurethane bump stop to provide a subtler stop, unlike the factory upper arms that use metal-to-metal stops.

3. The Cognito tubular upper control arms, correct the upper ball joint angle that is a problem with angles of the factory upper control arms after turning up the suspension. The alignment of the front end is also corrected so that it will fall into factory alignment specifications, something that is almost impossible on a truck leveled out with the factory upper control arms.

4. Last, the Cognito tubular upper control arms are supplied with bolt in upper ball joints. The factory upper control arms use a press in ball joint, and on some vehicles in order to change the upper ball joints, a new upper control arm with the pressed in ball joint must be purchased.

Spend your money wisely!
8 out of 10 GM 8-lug vehicles do not even need new torsion bar adjusters to level out. Typically, with a Cognito leveling kit install, the factory torsion bar adjusters are turned all the way up, and that?s it! If the vehicle happens to have torsion bars that have sagged more than normal, then new torsion bar adjuster keys are in order, and we carry those also. The Cognito leveling kits tubular upper control arms also work with our lift kit systems, so if you decide to go with a Cognito lift kit down the road, you are not losing out on your money now on this leveling kit. The upper control arms also have a dual lower shock mount built in, so if you ever want to run dual shocks up front, your mounting is half way there. No matter if you have a stock height 2001-2005 GM 8-Lug, the new torsion bar keys, cranked up your factory torsion bars, or the Cognito leveling kit, your steering system needs attention. The pitman and idler arm design on these vehicles has a premature wear problem, no matter if you are using GM components or aftermarket components. This failure will prevent holding a toe alignment on the front end, thus wearing tires abnormally. The problem can also cause tie rods to bind up and break, leading the owner to believe there is a tie rod problem when actually it is the pitman and idler arms that are the culprit. Cognito Motorsports has solved this problem with the pitman/idler arm support kit. It bolts on to the existing pitman and idler arms preventing the premature wear, and it tightens up a sloppy steering system. Highly recommended!!

PhilD

So with the above you are saying the rear suspension with the airride will just level it's self out, no problem?
This at least seems like someone knows what they are talking about.
- NV