H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 07-29-2006, 04:33 PM
Hummer Professional

working Hummer is off the scale
Default CB help

I'm going on a Hummer Trek and need to install a CB quick. I'm just buying a $49.00 cb from Radio Shack but here's my question, my installer said he should mount the antenna on the back roof away from the other antennas but he didn't know if they make a window ones like a cell phone antenna that would look nicer also if they make a short rubber one for the roof. I dont want a magnetic one because I heard they suck, also I don't want a 5' long metal one there either so does anyone know if they make a good short rubber one or am I obligated to a long metal one. Any help or opinions would be appreciated. thanks
Old 07-30-2006, 06:51 PM
Hummer Guru

Adam in CO is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: CB help

Phil's right. I'm using a 4ft firestick mounted to the rear of my GOBI rack and the wiring runs down into the headliner at the top of the tailgate. I would steer away for the RS CB tho. Tried that and they suck. for 100 bucks you'll never have t replace it.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:54 PM
Hummer Authority

ree is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by working Hummer
... my installer said he should mount the antenna on the back roof away from the other antennas...
In back is also good to prevent wind noise. If it's too close to the windshield and sticks up in the wind going over the truck it'll whistle pretty bad. You can get used to it, but it is an annoyance I found out the hard way.

X2 on the Firestik. I think you could do just fine with a 2 footer mounted on the center of the rear roof rack bar if you never roof top stuff on them. Just make sure it's grounded to frame somewhere. Of you don't want to use the cross bars, then the rail that the cross bars mount to work well too with a Jeep fender mount from Firestik. Either way you're not drilling into the body anywhere.

BTW, a firestick is only ~$15. Of course there's the coax and mount hardware. But still you're not going to have to spend that much and it's a good recreational CB solution.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:05 PM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam in CO
Phil's right. I'm using a 4ft firestick mounted to the rear of my GOBI rack and the wiring runs down into the headliner at the top of the tailgate. I would steer away for the RS CB tho. Tried that and they suck. for 100 bucks you'll never have t replace it.
Ended up getting some "Midland" CB off of ebay and talked to my installer about the firestick and thats what is going to happen. Thanks everyone for your help and opinions it made this a lot easier.By the way I would like to see a lot more of you guys put your raised letters out on your tires, it really does look kick ass.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:10 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Well, magnetic ones don't suck. It's just an attachment method. Firesticks come in magnet mount just as well.

IMO, magnet mount is the best solution there is if you are going to wheel, especially where there are trees. I would have ripped off anything hard mounted to the side of the rack on the last outing. Just about ripped the roof cross bars off. Scrub oaks don't give any.

I have a Wilson 1000 magnet mount and I get as good as or better range than anyone we wheel with. Not uncommon for us to pick up chatter on the Interestates 10 mile markers away at times using a Midland portable.

It also doesn't lose it's tune very much when you add junk to the top of the truck.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:12 PM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAGON
Well, magnetic ones don't suck. It's just an attachment method. Firesticks come in magnet mount just as well.

IMO, magnet mount is the best solution there is if you are going to wheel, especially where there are trees. I would have ripped off anything hard mounted to the side of the rack on the last outing. Just about ripped the roof cross bars off. Scrub oaks don't give any.

I have a Wilson 1000 magnet mount and I get as good as or better range than anyone we wheel with. Not uncommon for us to pick up chatter on the Interestates 10 mile markers away at times using a Midland portable.

It also doesn't lose it's tune very much when you add junk to the top of the truck.
Ya I was planning to go magnetic now.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:15 PM
Banned

Did you get the Midland "portable" cb thingy?
Old 07-30-2006, 10:39 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD
You've got a Gobi to attach it to now

If you want a mount for it, LMK, and you may as well run the coax while you have everything in pieces
Hell Phil, P's truck is always in pieces.

Where's that link where I documented the install of ours? I can't find the damn thing.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenP
Hell Phil, P's truck is always in pieces.
It's back in a really bad way right now and I've had the dremel out again.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:54 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAGON
It's back in a really bad way right now and I've had the dremel out again.
Oh gawd....
Old 04-10-2007, 03:37 PM
Hummer Professional

kalantar is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree
In back is also good to prevent wind noise. If it's too close to the windshield and sticks up in the wind going over the truck it'll whistle pretty bad. You can get used to it, but it is an annoyance I found out the hard way.

X2 on the Firestik. I think you could do just fine with a 2 footer mounted on the center of the rear roof rack bar if you never roof top stuff on them.

To prevent wind noise would you suggest placing it on the driver side of the hummer lets say above the back passenger door?

So what is the general consensus firesticks on the roof or magnet else where?

Thanks.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:59 PM
Hummer Authority

GLBLWARMR is an unknown quantity at this point

Being the true redneck hillbilly that I am, i would go with the 6' twin truckers mounted off the ass end. That is just me cause I like the look.
2013 Victory Cross Country
2006 Suzuki Hayabusa
Old 04-10-2007, 05:07 PM
Hummer Authority

ree is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalantar
To prevent wind noise would you suggest placing it on the driver side of the hummer lets say above the back passenger door?
I think a 3' antenna would be fine if you put it over the passenger DS-side window.

FWIW, I recently got a roof rack with a wind fairing and moved my 3' antenna back about 1 foot (still over driver window) and it is now out of the windstream and quiet.