H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 10-11-2006, 08:00 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Re: Dead battery, again ... locating parasitic draw

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSUT
Okay, just got a call from my service guy saying that they replaced the (brand new) Optima Yellow Top, and that my problem was that that battery did not have enough cold cranking amps for my truck. Does that make any sense?

Nope, been running a Yellow Top with not enough cold cranking amps for 3 years with no problem. I haven't read the rest of this thread yet. But sounds like a copout for something.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:08 PM
Banned

Pete, a battery place can load test the battery, but your battery is not the problem.

Unless your truck has been sitting still for the 2 weeks, it didn't drain over that time. Your alternator should recharge it and if the battery has a bad cylinder it would not retain a charge for very long EVERY TIME. It sounds as though your problem is more intermittent which leads to some type of draw.

I had it and it was the rear air still cycling overnight while the truck was off. Relays can stick open periodically.

They are just trying to give you an excuse because they can't find one themselves, most likely.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Okay, just got a call from my service guy saying that they replaced the (brand new) Optima Yellow Top, and that my problem was that that battery did not have enough cold cranking amps for my truck. Does that make any sense?
Take that "brand new" optima to an optima battery dealer and have them test it.

Cold Cranking Amps really have nothing to do with it, in your situation. CCA is the number of amps a battery can provide at 0 degrees for 30 seconds and not drop below 7.2 volts.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:17 PM
Hummer Authority

TXSUT is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Paragon, I appreciate it greatly. I felt like they were copping out, just as they did two weeks ago when all they did was put an overnight charge on the new Optima battery.

As it was before I took it in this morning, if I let the truck sit for anything less than 4 hours, it would start with no problem. Leave it overnight and it would have a tough time. It sat for about 12 hours last night, and this morning I had to jump start it.

Regardless, I guess all I can do at this point is take delivery and wait for this new battery they just installed to die on me...then take it back in and raise holy hell.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:45 PM
Hummer Authority

TXSUT is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought I could get another unbiased opinion from a mechanic friend of mine, so I gave him a call. Turns out that he absolutely hates Optima batteries, says they're just a bunch of ****ty marketing hype. Also said he can't count the times customers have come in with new, dead Optima batteries and once replaced with Interstate batteries, voila, no more problems. So much for an unbiased opinion, huh? LOL! He did concur that the CCA story from the dealership was bull****, though.

I also had an issue with the right rear of the truck sitting lower than the left side, and asked them to level it (Z ratio or whatever it's called). The message the service guy left me said "we adjusted your torsion bars to level the rear." WTF?
Old 10-11-2006, 10:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
I thought I could get another unbiased opinion from a mechanic friend of mine, so I gave him a call. Turns out that he absolutely hates Optima batteries, says they're just a bunch of ****ty marketing hype. Also said he can't count the times customers have come in with new, dead Optima batteries and once replaced with Interstate batteries, voila, no more problems. So much for an unbiased opinion, huh? LOL! He did concur that the CCA story from the dealership was bull****, though.

I also had an issue with the right rear of the truck sitting lower than the left side, and asked them to level it (Z ratio or whatever it's called). The message the service guy left me said "we adjusted your torsion bars to level the rear." WTF?

ask them how much of an adjustment did they make to the rear torsion bars
Old 10-11-2006, 10:18 PM
Banned

Quote:

He's right. I had one, Phil's had one or two. Sometimes when they come in, one or more of the cylinders are dead. Doesn't matter though, because that yellow top is not getting damaged by you dishcarging it with whatever problem is draining it. That interstate battery will get weaker and weaker the more it's completely discharged.

Also, there's all the other benefits of Optima mat-type batteries.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:39 PM
Hummer Veteran

usmctopgun is off the scale

I am running into this same problem. I had the dealership check the seat switches, but they claimed they were good. I am getting a contant 2amp draw, which kills it if it sits for longer than 7 days. Has anyone else linked the draw to something else?
Old 11-02-2006, 06:52 PM
Hummer Professional

mdoyle is on a distinguished road

Are there any lights on your dash at all when the key is out? I've got an issue with the ignition switch on mine, sometimes the shift position indicator remains lit and the red battery light stays on when I take the key out.

If I don't reinsert the key and take it out with those lights off, then the battery is dead the next morning. The Dealer said it need an "adjustment" but didn't fix it when it was in for air suspension work.

My suspicion is the switch is damaged and there isn't an adjustment for it.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:08 PM
Hummer Veteran

usmctopgun is off the scale

Not that I know of, but I will verify it when I get back home in a couple of weeks. They actually had to replace the ignition switch right after I got it, because it was causing the whole thing to act up. When the switch went bad, the hummer would start off in second gear, and not shift into fourth. Not sure how an ingnition switch should affect the transmission, but it did. I'll check into that, but if not, I'll be back in a couple of weeks with more questions. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdoyle
Are there any lights on your dash at all when the key is out? I've got an issue with the ignition switch on mine, sometimes the shift position indicator remains lit and the red battery light stays on when I take the key out.

If I don't reinsert the key and take it out with those lights off, then the battery is dead the next morning. The Dealer said it need an "adjustment" but didn't fix it when it was in for air suspension work.

My suspicion is the switch is damaged and there isn't an adjustment for it.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:22 PM
Hummer Veteran

Drainbamaged is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmctopgun
They actually had to replace the ignition switch right after I got it, because it was causing the whole thing to act up. When the switch went bad, the hummer would start off in second gear, and not shift into fourth. Not sure how an ingnition switch should affect the transmission, but it did.

There is a 22 awg white wire (2nd ignition) that supplies power to the transmission controller when the ignition is turned on. If the ignition was not making contact with that wire you would have shifting problems like starting in 2nd gear and not shifting into other gears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdoyle
sometimes the shift position indicator remains lit and the red battery light stays on when I take the key out.

There is no adjustment that i know of for this problem. The problem you are having is that your ignition switch is actually still making contact to that 22 awg white wire and keeping the 2nd ignition hot. I have had run into problems like this when i was installing remote starter systems into GM trucks.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:06 PM
Hummer Veteran

BITURBOAMG is on a distinguished road

Did this ever get worked out? I am having in issue with the dash saying battery not charging and the batt light on. I have changed the batt and alt and get the same issue? I have no clue what is going on but I have always had problems with the batt light, odo and radio staying on after I take the key out and open the door. I have to lock unlock the truck and open another door for it to turn off. Any info or tips would help.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:25 PM
Hummer Authority

ree is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BITURBOAMG
Did this ever get worked out?
Unfortunately, no. It happens very rarely.

I have a suspicion that it's something whacked with the cigarette lighter in the center console. The past three times I've had a dead battery, I am certain that I had a device plugged into that jack for power. The prior times, I can't recall if it was the case, but think it might be. There doesn't seem to be any debris in the lighter jack to make contact, though.

Your problem sounds a lot wierder.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:07 PM
Hummer Authority

HUMTECH is an unknown quantity at this point

The ignition switch can be adjusted, if they are not installed accuratly they will leave accessory power on. Easy way to check install key halfway and turn lock cylinder forward firmly and see if truck power up. If so ign switch needs to be removed and adjusted until this does not occur, seen it and repaired it many times. As for battery draws elsewhere have seen many air suspension relays fail and cause A draw, as well as onstar, sometimes if your not A subscibed customer the gps will intermittantly look for A signal waking up the module, pull the info fuse if you dont have A subscription. Also hvac control heads and stereo amps have been know to cause A draw.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:23 PM
Hummer Professional

H2R is on a distinguished road

Hook up a multimeter and start removing fuses, you can narrow it down fast. This will give you an idea where to start to look. To troubleshoot any other way may have you looking much longer.
1974 Corvette conv. (454ci)
31ft Gulf Craft Boat
Old 10-12-2007, 07:25 PM
Banned

tower is an unknown quantity at this point

Quit screwin' around! You're always screwin' around!

IT's fairly easy to track down a draw. Go to any good auto electric-shop and have them put a field ammeter on your primary battery cable. It has a kind of ring clamp which fits around the cable without even disconnecting or interrupting it. If there is a draw when the vehicle is off it will show up. That will quell the dealer's argument that the problem is with your yellow top (which I doubt). Then they just trace your wiring as it branches off the primary through the fusebox and downstream from there, locating the offending lead. DONE!

Last edited by tower : 10-12-2007 at 07:30 PM.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:05 AM
Hummer Authority

An amp clamp I believe is what your talking about? if so, they are not near accurate enough as they only measure amps, you need to measure mA. You should see about a 25-40mA draw which is normal once all modules have powered down, typically within 1-5 minutes. any more than that after 5min and the draw is excessive. Install A battery disconnect switch between the neg cable and the neg bat post close the switch so current is flowing, attach amp meter to either side of switch and wait 5 min, open the switch and now the current will flow through the meter. Use the 10A scale so if its high you dont blow the fuse in the meter, should see about 0.025 to 0.040 on that scale.
Old 10-13-2007, 05:31 AM
Banned

tower is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe Amp Clamp is a brand name like Kleenex. I know Fluke makes these. However, you are quite correct about the measurement. It is milliamps as opposed to amps. And there are DC clamp meters which go that low. Thanks for your correction, HUMTECH!
Old 10-13-2007, 05:39 PM
Hummer Professional

mdoyle is on a distinguished road

What is the adjustment for the ignition switch? Is is a matter of moving the lock cylinder or some linkage down the column?

I replaced the switch a few months ago and the problem went away, but now within the past few weeks it's come back.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:06 AM
Hummer Authority

When you remove the ign switch(not the lock cylinder) you will see that it has a plastic wheel with teeth on it. Rotate it a little and reinsert ign switch. test it and readjust if neccessary. The ign switch will just slide out of the housing when A small pick tool is used to depress the retainers on both sides.