H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 11-12-2007, 04:36 PM
Hummer Veteran

Kerr is off the scale
Default Looking into a H2. Have a few questions.

Hey guys, ive been a memeber on here a long time but dont post a alot.

I have been kicking around trading in my 2002 Mercedes G500 on a 06-07 H2. I know what i want for the most but i have a few question about the SUT, and aftermarket parts.

1) the SUT, Does it have any problems with leaking or body flex problems with back being cut open like it is?

2) Is there a place to get a bed cover / top for a SUT. It would be nice to be able to cover up the stuff in the back.

Aftermarket parts:

What i would want to do is the fallowing. any information on products, companies or other suggestions would be awsome.

1) Level the front end.

2) New wheels, but still 17 inch or smaller so i can fit mud tires. I would also like to have bead locks and powder coated but its not a must.

3) Brush gaurd / winch bumper or what ever is the best way to go for performace. Im not in to the bling..

4) Functional roof rack with lights if i go with SUV. Also can you get one for the SUT?

5) The crazy looking H7 bi Xenon lights... as on the tan hummer when you log on... Any problem with those?

6) Is there any gains to be had in doing a intake, programmer, headers and exhaust? I realize this is 7,000 lbs suv so it will never be fast.

7) Does anyone make sliders to replace the runniing boards and save the bottom of the doors if i bottom out.

Thanks for the info

Shawn.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:18 PM
Hummer Authority

Alan06SUT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Looking into a H2. Have a few questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr

1) the SUT, Does it have any problems with leaking or body flex problems with back being cut open like it is? No. Its soild.

2) Is there a place to get a bed cover / top for a SUT. It would be nice to be able to cover up the stuff in the back. It is a factory option and you can get a bed rack on it with or without the Tonneau Cover.

Aftermarket parts:

What i would want to do is the fallowing. any information on products, companies or other suggestions would be awsome.

1) Level the front end. crank T bars if you wish. Mine clears 37's without doing anything.

2) New wheels, but still 17 inch or smaller so i can fit mud tires. I would also like to have bead locks and powder coated but its not a must. Just powder coat or paint the factory wheels. if done right both look great and last long (i have a set that is powder coated and a set that I painted)

3) Brush gaurd / winch bumper or what ever is the best way to go for performace. Im not in to the bling.. Stock brush guard and a warn multi mount.

4) Functional roof rack with lights if i go with SUV. Also can you get one for the SUT?Yes Gobi

5) The crazy looking H7 bi Xenon lights... as on the tan hummer when you log on... Any problem with those?

6) Is there any gains to be had in doing a intake, programmer, headers and exhaust? I realize this is 7,000 lbs suv so it will never be fast.

7) Does anyone make sliders to replace the runniing boards and save the bottom of the doors if i bottom out. All H2's have sliders in addition to the running boards. They are pretty darn strong and you can lift the vehicle from them. I upgraded to the rock mountain sliders they act as a step and keep the rocks a couple of inches from my body.

Thanks for the info

Shawn.

This shows the winch and roof rack w/lights...

This shows the stock sliders, bed rack, and tonneau

And the 37's no turning of torsion bars, rocky mountain sliders Powder coated wheels w/o caps

Last edited by Alan06SUT : 11-12-2007 at 10:21 PM.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:23 PM
Hummer Guru

3Hummer is on a distinguished road

the stock brushguard should be more than suitable.....i have a question for you how do you like the G500 my dad was looking into that or the G55 AMG

2003 H1 HMCS: Ocean Blue Metallic, Grey Leather Interior

2010 H3 Alpha: Canyon Metallic, Cashmere Interior

2017 VW Jetta S

2012 Cessna 182T Skylane

used to have: 2007 base H3 Slate Blue

/''T''|[___|___]
[---T--L -OlllllllO-]
()_)"""()_)/"**"\)_)
Old 11-13-2007, 12:42 AM
Hummer Veteran

CG07SUT is on a distinguished road

I agree with Alan above. There are numerous light bar options for either rig, and most, if not all, will work with the sunroof. Love the SUT, as I did not have a need for the third row seat. LeBra is supposed to be coming out with a soft tonneau for the SUT this year as an alternate to the factory hard cover for the bed.

Alan, where did you find the rock slider/step combo?
Old 11-13-2007, 01:25 AM
Hummer Authority

Boss Hoss is off the scale

Quote:

2) New wheels, but still 17 inch or smaller so i can fit mud tires. I would also like to have bead locks and powder coated but its not a must.

This is a common misconception..in fact i dont think you can go smaller than 17 due to brake clearance. You may be relieved to know you can actually go with a 20in rim and still wheel just as hard as anyone else.

That being said, you cant go wrong copying Alans rig....its sweet for a non blinger.

20in Kaotik NT-1s with 35x13.50Pro Comp Xtreme All terrain
Old 11-13-2007, 03:46 AM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG07SUT
I agree with Alan above. There are numerous light bar options for either rig, and most, if not all, will work with the sunroof. Love the SUT, as I did not have a need for the third row seat. LeBra is supposed to be coming out with a soft tonneau for the SUT this year as an alternate to the factory hard cover for the bed.

Alan, where did you find the rock slider/step combo?

http://www.rocky-road.com/hummer.html They work really well and have held up to Tellico w/o any issues and the price is very reasonable.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:58 PM
Hummer Veteran

Kerr is off the scale

Alan06SUT, Thanks for the information! The current turck im looking at apparently had the rear cargo cover, or they all come with the groves to lock one. It also doensent have a brush gaurd at all.

Do these trucks come with a locking transfercase and rear end? The one we drove had pictures of little locks on the buttons. Also how hard would it be to install a front locker?

In your picture of you climbing theh ill at what appears to be tellico, is that special bumper or just the winch slid into the front. Last night at lows i saw a H2 that had a winch but it was not attached to the bumper. Had a set up on it like a ball / receiver for a trailer hitch but it was in the front of coruse.

3Hummer,

I love my G class, but im at 85K miles now and its almost outo warranty. You dont own a benz out of warranty unless you never drive . I got the back in 02, I sold a toyota supra and bought the new wife a CL500, then was just in the right place at the right time... traded the CL on the G class and never looked back. Its a grate ride and you never see them where i live. Mercedes sales about 120 of them a year. However they are old school techonology, hard ride, not a lot of room etc... They are more like a skinney H1. Its a love hate relation ship. I would buy another one but MB hasent made enough changes to justify the money difference and i would want a diesel out of the ML or GL. Thats not a option and the price keep getting steeper. Mine was $79K in 02, i think they are $89K now. If you dad does get a G55. Make sure he gets a 05 up. The 03-04 G55K are a joke, and waste of money.

CG07SUT,

Thanks for the information, is there a link to a prototype bed cover. The only reason i would like to have something is because of the kids. You toss two car seats in the back and that does not leave a lot of room for the other crap you have to take with you. Now i just throw it all in the back but with a SUT it would just blow out or some one would swipe it.

Boss Hoss, You might be correct on the brakes. We ran into that with a G55K. I know you CAN wheel on bigger wheels i just dont like to Bigger wheels = more money usually, then more money for tires, i play in a lot of mud so the wheels would be ruined...

Here is the link the truck im looking at. They are very proud of the price so they will have to put a LOT in my G or come off theres a lot before we can get together.

http://www.billgatton.com/VehicleDetails/viewVehiclePhoto.do?pageName=VehiclePhoto&id=83267 4494&displaySlideshow=true&contentOnly=true&imgInd ex=0
Old 11-13-2007, 06:57 PM
Hummer Veteran

CG07SUT is on a distinguished road

Alan, Thanks for the link. May look into those further.

Kerr, I cannot find the link to the article where I read about LeBra making a soft tonneau for the SUT. I started a couple of prototypes but stopped based on some costs that I would have had to have parts fabbed. I also had a local soft tonneau guy look at making one, but as soon as he saw it was for a Hummer, the $$$ signs lit up in his eyes. I ended up finding a used factory one at a deal I couldn't pass on. If I find one of the soft covers, I will probably add that to my truck. I did contact a couple manufacturers and they stated that the demand was too small for them to produce.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:35 PM
Hummer Authority

Location: In da Chi! I am not only the originator of the H.O.A.B. club. I am also a member
Mr. I - Man is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan06SUT
http://www.rocky-road.com/hummer.html They work really well and have held up to Tellico w/o any issues and the price is very reasonable.

I didn't see rock rails for the H2 just the H3???
Old 11-13-2007, 08:36 PM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. I - Man
I didn't see rock rails for the H2 just the H3???

Look on the right side of the page.....

http://www.rocky-road.com/media/rockrail_1small.jpg
Old 11-13-2007, 08:41 PM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Alan06SUT, Thanks for the information! The current turck im looking at apparently had the rear cargo cover, or they all come with the groves to lock one. It also doensent have a brush gaurd at all.

Do these trucks come with a locking transfercase and rear end? The one we drove had pictures of little locks on the buttons. Also how hard would it be to install a front locker? Yes rear locker and t-case is locked when in 4 hi and lo. no need for a front locker IMO. traction control puts the brakes on any spinning or suspended wheel. Guys who did install the front locker say stuff breaks at very little performance gains.

In your picture of you climbing theh ill at what appears to be tellico, is that special bumper or just the winch slid into the front. Last night at lows i saw a H2 that had a winch but it was not attached to the bumper. Had a set up on it like a ball / receiver for a trailer hitch but it was in the front of coruse. Its just the warn muti-mount winch. It slides into the front or rear hitch and is easy to get on and off. It only weighs about 75lbs or so.

3Hummer,

I love my G class, but im at 85K miles now and its almost outo warranty. You dont own a benz out of warranty unless you never drive . I got the back in 02, I sold a toyota supra and bought the new wife a CL500, then was just in the right place at the right time... traded the CL on the G class and never looked back. Its a grate ride and you never see them where i live. Mercedes sales about 120 of them a year. However they are old school techonology, hard ride, not a lot of room etc... They are more like a skinney H1. Its a love hate relation ship. I would buy another one but MB hasent made enough changes to justify the money difference and i would want a diesel out of the ML or GL. Thats not a option and the price keep getting steeper. Mine was $79K in 02, i think they are $89K now. If you dad does get a G55. Make sure he gets a 05 up. The 03-04 G55K are a joke, and waste of money.

CG07SUT,

Thanks for the information, is there a link to a prototype bed cover. The only reason i would like to have something is because of the kids. You toss two car seats in the back and that does not leave a lot of room for the other crap you have to take with you. Now i just throw it all in the back but with a SUT it would just blow out or some one would swipe it.

Boss Hoss, You might be correct on the brakes. We ran into that with a G55K. I know you CAN wheel on bigger wheels i just dont like to Bigger wheels = more money usually, then more money for tires, i play in a lot of mud so the wheels would be ruined...

Here is the link the truck im looking at. They are very proud of the price so they will have to put a LOT in my G or come off theres a lot before we can get together.

http://www.billgatton.com/VehicleDetails/viewVehiclePhoto.do?pageName=VehiclePhoto&id=83267 4494&displaySlideshow=true&contentOnly=true&imgInd ex=0

Old 11-13-2007, 09:07 PM
Hummer Authority

Location: In da Chi! I am not only the originator of the H.O.A.B. club. I am also a member
Mr. I - Man is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan06SUT
Look on the right side of the page.....

http://www.rocky-road.com/media/rockrail_1small.jpg

Got it
Old 11-13-2007, 09:38 PM
Hummer Authority

Old 11-13-2007, 10:35 PM
Hummer Professional

dkhummerh2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hey guys, ive been a memeber on here a long time but dont post a alot.

I have been kicking around trading in my 2002 Mercedes G500 on a 06-07 H2. I know what i want for the most but i have a few question about the SUT, and aftermarket parts.

1) the SUT, Does it have any problems with leaking or body flex problems with back being cut open like it is?

2) Is there a place to get a bed cover / top for a SUT. It would be nice to be able to cover up the stuff in the back.

Aftermarket parts:

1) Level the front end.

3) Brush gaurd / winch bumper or what ever is the best way to go for performace. Im not in to the bling..

4) Functional roof rack with lights if i go with SUV. Also can you get one for the SUT?

7) Does anyone make sliders to replace the runniing boards and save the bottom of the doors if i bottom out.

Thanks for the info

Shawn.
What year are you looking at buying? You may be better off shopping for a decked out sut that is lightly used. Search the threads, there was a guy looking to get rid of his 05 or 06 sut that had a ton of goodies. You might be able to find one that is a perfect fit for alot less than new with very few miles. Just a thought. I bought my H2 with 10k of addons for under $30k with 40k miles and really couldn't justify buying a new one and doing the upgrades. But I am probably considered poverty stricken compared to some of the guys on the forum.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:47 PM
Hummer Veteran

Kerr is off the scale

Yea ill buy used. We use to be in the used car business, Ill never buy a new car unless its something ill keep for ever.. Seems like a H2, Denali, Esculade are taking about $30K hit the first year. Then my retarded wife bought a new armada last years.. $51K to $29K in 15K miles... that hurts

Id like to get something under warranty so i can extend the warranty or buy a 07... figure ride it a year then pick up a 08 with the new motor and trans...

But i have to get out of the G500 first and so far i have had no luck. The dealers said its hard to sale used H2's much less a G class. They said retail on my car sould be in the high 30's which prices it out for a lot of people do to the age. Its a 02..
Old 11-13-2007, 11:11 PM
Hummer Professional

dkhummerh2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yea ill buy used. We use to be in the used car business, Ill never buy a new car unless its something ill keep for ever.. Seems like a H2, Denali, Esculade are taking about $30K hit the first year. Then my retarded wife bought a new armada last years.. $51K to $29K in 15K miles... that hurts

Id like to get something under warranty so i can extend the warranty or buy a 07... figure ride it a year then pick up a 08 with the new motor and trans...

But i have to get out of the G500 first and so far i have had no luck. The dealers said its hard to sale used H2's much less a G class. They said retail on my car sould be in the high 30's which prices it out for a lot of people do to the age. Its a 02..
Since you used to be in the business, don't you have some friends still in that can help you out? Maybe put the g on their lot and see what you get! These days it seems that is all about the financing, if you sold the G through a dealer then the financing is better for the potential buyer, thus putting it in reach of more people. Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:15 AM
Hummer Expert

Tex_h2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Just wondering why your are choosing the SUT over the SUV.....
Old 11-14-2007, 03:58 PM
Hummer Veteran

Kerr is off the scale

Both very good questions!

I do have a lot of dealer firneds and im sure they would, but the problem is they own Gm or Nissan dealerships. They have sold cars for me before but if i leave the car on the lot, then that opens it up for everyone to joy ride. Not that big a deal but i would need to find out a way to disconnect the lockers. You know people are on test drives.

Tex H2,

I havent really decided. I like the extra room in the suv. The dealer just had this one. A real hummer dealers is 200 miles away. I like the idea of the short bed because im always hauling motor, and transmissions or some sort of car or tractor part. The guys at the motor shop look at you strange when you pull a block out of the back of the car. Not to mention it makes a heck of a mess on your carpet
Old 11-16-2007, 03:58 PM
Hummer Veteran

Kerr is off the scale

Well i have an update.

The trade deal didnt go well... Bottom line they tried to say my benz was worth $19K Im not sure if the looked up a ML or what. Then he said the best he can do on that 05 was $40K...

I love that SUT but i dont love it that much. So it back to ebay and see what i cant find in a 06 or 07 model.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:08 PM
Hummer Guru

ROX is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Hoss
That being said, you cant go wrong copying Alans rig....its sweet for a non blinger.
Blasphemous.....