H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H1 Discussion Forums > General H1 Discussion

Old 03-15-2006, 08:30 PM
Hummer Expert

Andy C is off the scale

I have a neighbour who wants to sell me his 2000 H1 TT4 6.5TDL for roughly $36,000 it has 36000 miles on it - it needs some cosmetic attention but overall it appears to be in pretty solid shape. What do you think.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:51 AM
Hummer Expert

Beastmaster is off the scale

Buy it. Good price, hell, very good price, depending on the "cosmetic" issues.

If it's paint - go for it, or I'll buy it. If it's actual body damage, depends on how severe.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:22 AM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

post a pic/ options
Old 03-16-2006, 05:39 AM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Can I have it?
Old 03-16-2006, 01:20 PM
Hummer Expert

Andy C is off the scale

Quote:
Originally posted by Beastmaster:
Buy it. Good price, hell, very good price, depending on the "cosmetic" issues.

If it's paint - go for it, or I'll buy it. If it's actual body damage, depends on how severe.

From what I have seen it is just paint - there are a couple of insignificant dings on it - but no damage that stands out. It definately needs a new paint job though - he used it to promote a watersports business so it spent a lot of time near the ocean on a beach, it was also covered in decals that one of his guys tried to take off with a shovel by the looks of it.

It seems to run well - no obvious problems - I kind of think it is a no brainer - I will let you know the outcome - I have been Hummerless for too long now and this seems like a good oppurtunity.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:11 PM

00HMC4 is off the scale

Buy it!!!!
Old 03-17-2006, 12:23 PM
Hummer Expert

ckhagman is off the scale

I have had dealers offer more than that for my '00 soft-top with 33,000miles
Old 03-18-2006, 04:06 AM
Hummer Expert

NoMoGMPG is an unknown quantity at this point

It's a good price provided there isn't any galvanic corrosion of the aluminum body.
1999 AMGeneral H1 6.5TD BLACK Wagon e-Lockers Front and Back, Rubberduck4x4 RockTubes, Extended Undercarriage Protection,"Big Duck" 2" body lift/2 1/2" suspension lift, 41" IROK Radials on 17" Cepeks w/Rock Rims, (in process)Centered front diff, 3.08 gears, 12k Brakes and 12k halfshafts
Old 03-20-2006, 06:54 PM
Hummer Veteran

Winneconne is off the scale

Buy it....that's a dam good price.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:37 AM
Hummer Professional

Joe is off the scale

I think 2000's still where in the date range for possible #8 cylinder issues so I would do a little homework on VIN ranges to verify. Other then that sounds like a good price!

2003 H2

Homepage:
http://www.hummerh1.net
Old 03-22-2006, 06:09 PM
Hummer Authority

ssgharkness020147 is an unknown quantity at this point

True. However, it is far less likely to crack. What you need to do Andy is check the fourth character of the VIN number, if its a Z then you have a possible bad block. Even still I would not be to scared of it, for some reason I have not really seen many if any Y2K trucks where the block cracks.

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe:
I think 2000's still where in the date range for possible #8 cylinder issues so I would do a little homework on VIN ranges to verify. Other then that sounds like a good price!

-007=
Old 03-23-2006, 01:43 AM
Hummer Authority

HUMTECH is an unknown quantity at this point

Late 97 GM changed the block design by adding oil squirters to cool the bottom of the pistons but they did not reinforce the block where this was done. late 98 production saw this rectified with reinforcing. 2000 model year trucks would never have seen the bad engine blocks.affected years were 96-98 and some early production 99 MY vehicles.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:18 AM
Hummer Authority

ssgharkness020147 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have heard from some other credible sources that the "questionable" blocks were still in inventory in the Y2K year. Though I will say I have not seen and or heard of a Y2K with a cracked block, and I do know an owner with a Y2K Z coded truck.

Quote:
Originally posted by HUMTECH:
Late 97 GM changed the block design by adding oil squirters to cool the bottom of the pistons but they did not reinforce the block where this was done. late 98 production saw this rectified with reinforcing. 2000 model year trucks would never have seen the bad engine blocks.affected years were 96-98 and some early production 99 MY vehicles.

-007=
Old 04-07-2006, 11:49 AM
Hummer Expert

Andy C is off the scale

OK - these things are popping out of the woodwork now - the guy that owns the business next door to me has just offered me his 97.5 H1 with 50,000 miles on it for $30,000.
This one appears to be in excellent shape - he has owned it since 98 - its in Florida - it has never been offroad (according to him) and is in much better cosmetic shape than the 2000 that the other guy has. I am angling towards the older model for some reason - its not the money - its just that I trust the second guy more than the first.
What do you think - actually thats probably irrelevant to be honest because I think I will take the second one today anyway.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:21 PM
Hummer Veteran

EXH1X5 is off the scale

Quote:
Originally posted by HUMTECH:

Believe this to be 100% pure GM propaganda!!! That is, unless you have documentation from GM that can substantiate that??? Is it possible you have 1999 confused with the year GM simply washed their hands of and walked away from ALL responsibility for their #8 cyl. engine problem and left AM General holding the entire bag for GM’s design failures???
Old 04-08-2006, 01:34 AM
Hummer Expert

Quote:
Originally posted by EXH1X5:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HUMTECH:

Believe this to be 100% pure GM propaganda!!! That is, unless you have documentation from GM that can substantiate that??? Is it possible you have 1999 confused with the year GM simply washed their hands of and walked away from ALL responsibility for their #8 cyl. engine problem and left AM General holding the entire bag for GM’s design failures??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Late engine production '99 blocks received the reinforced #8 blocks, however there were a number of left over '99 engines used in 2000. The only sure way to know is to get the production casting off the right rear of the block.

Also, the 6.2/6.5 was a Detroit Diesel, not a GM Powertrain design.
1999 AMGeneral H1 6.5TD BLACK Wagon e-Lockers Front and Back, Rubberduck4x4 RockTubes, Extended Undercarriage Protection,"Big Duck" 2" body lift/2 1/2" suspension lift, 41" IROK Radials on 17" Cepeks w/Rock Rims, (in process)Centered front diff, 3.08 gears, 12k Brakes and 12k halfshafts
Old 04-11-2006, 05:30 PM
Hummer Veteran

EXH1X5 is off the scale

Quote:
Late engine production '99 blocks received the reinforced #8 blocks, however there were a number of left over '99 engines used in 2000. The only sure way to know is to get the production casting off the right rear of the block.

Ever consider the possibility there were more than ONE fix for the #8 cylinder problems!

Consider the first fix in 1999 as a "Band-Aid" type fix to the block casting to ensure continued 6.5L manufacturing to support AMG’s Military HMMWV/HUMVEE production as well as other applications AND to produce 6 engines for GM Powertrain (3 for durability and 3 for cold/hot cycle testing) to prove or disprove that first fix.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:11 PM
Hummer Expert

The issue was not so much with the original engine casting as it was the application they were being asked to perform. The cracking issue came about in tight quarter applications, such as G,P, and Hummer applications where the air flow was restricted and the turbo location was centrally mounted. This locked the heat in and caused steam pockets over the #8 location.

The 6.5TD has been used extensively in the marine applications and has been a durable solution.
Old 04-15-2006, 02:21 AM
Hummer Authority

HUMTECH is an unknown quantity at this point

Well iv'e seen the changes on the engine blocks as iv'e had several of them apart for various repairs, propaganda, I think not. By the time AM general bought and took over production of the 6.5l engine plant these issues were already resolved and since then AM general also added higher nickel content to the engine block manufacturing which also added more strength and durability.
Quote:
Originally posted by EXH1X5:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HUMTECH:

Believe this to be 100% pure GM propaganda!!! That is, unless you have documentation from GM that can substantiate that??? Is it possible you have 1999 confused with the year GM simply washed their hands of and walked away from ALL responsibility for their #8 cyl. engine problem and left AM General holding the entire bag for GM’s design failures??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>