Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > ETC. Forums > General Off Topic

Old 12-19-2006, 04:01 PM
Hummer Veteran

JetEyeNite is off the scale
Default Re: Stupid Cop

Some of you guys assumed too much.
I never said I passed him when I saw the orange cone.
I had to turn around and take some other road to get to where I was going.

Did I break any law? No
Did I do something wrong? No.. maybe for yelling at him later that he should have set up the flares earlier..

Did he perform his job correctly first place? No
Was he a professional at his job? No
As a public servant, does he have to curse and yell at people because he screwed up? No

Why am I wasting my time arguing with some morons who don?t even know all the facts?
I learned my lesson here.. don?t argue with the fools.. they?ll make you a fool also..
There? I said it.. I am a fool for creating this thread? I should have just vented my frustration somewhere else..

My official topologies to the some of the fine police officers who perform their jobs.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:12 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetEyeNite
Some of you guys assumed too much.
I never said I passed him when I saw the orange cone.
I had to turn around and take some other road to get to where I was going.

Did I break any law? No
Did I do something wrong? No.. maybe for yelling at him later that he should have set up the flares earlier..

Did he perform his job correctly first place? No
Was he a professional at his job? No
As a public servant, does he have to curse and yell at people because he screwed up? No

Why am I wasting my time arguing with some morons who don?t even know all the facts?
I learned my lesson here.. don?t argue with the fools.. they?ll make you a fool also..
There? I said it.. I am a fool for creating this thread? I should have just vented my frustration somewhere else..

My official topologies to the some of the fine police officers who perform their jobs.
grow up
Old 12-19-2006, 04:19 PM
Hummer Authority

K9sH3 is on a distinguished road

I think you did good by venting here. Its part of what we do here in these threads, Yeah sometimes they get heated and sometimes you won't get a single reply. But I believe its all in good taste and there is really no harm done in saying what you think.
What I do like most about the people here on this site is that most are 100% behind our soldiers and police officers. So whenever a thread is going on about them, you are going to have a hot thread.
So cheers to you for standing up for what you believed in.
But please do me a favor, don't yell at the police, the job isn't as easy as one may think.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO Hummer
This the exactly the kind of B.S. that gives cops a bad name.

Cops are not drafted or forced to do their job. They are paid professsionals, that's it. I get so sick of moronic cops that have this attitude that if you "rub them the wrong way" they are justified in bending the law to harass you.

No......I don't have anything against all cops. I have family members in law enforcement.
No, it's not.

Flipping off a LEO is a sure sign something is up and gives reason for the LEO to check that person out further. What if it was some whack job that was banged out of his mind and had a hankering to do some killing and thought the Po-Po was was nothing but a joke.... so flip them off.

Open disrespect of authority for no apparent reason is a great way to get looked at closer. It's not a cop using his position to harass, it's using their training to identify a potential BG before he doesn't something rash.

If a person did something like that and then committed a crime, the same whiners here would be complaining that the LEO didn't do anything to stop the guy when he was obviously disturbed.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:33 PM
Hummer Authority

GLBLWARMR is an unknown quantity at this point

JetEyeNite,

Even when officers are doing what they are supposed sh*t happens. Do not give the cops a hard time their job is hard enough and then having to worry about other idiots behind the wheel. This story is from August of this year and it was my uncle (17 year veteran) that was hit.

Vehicle hits state trooper on highway

By Elizabeth Dinan
GREENLAND -- While directing traffic around a storm-toppled tree on Interstate 95 Wednesday night, a state police trooper was hit by a car driven by an 83-year-old Massachusetts man.
According to State Police Troop A reports, two state police cruisers were parked in the southbound lane of the interstate in Greenland at about 8:30 p.m. Wednesday, both with emergency blue lights activated, while troopers directed traffic around the fallen tree in the breakdown and first lanes.
State police report that a four-door Toyota, driven by William Dillion, 83, of 45 Chase Road, Waltham, Mass., struck the rear of one of the police cruisers, causing Dillion's car to spin out of control and into an area where troopers were working to remove the tree from the road.
Police said Dillion's car then hit Sgt. James White, who was in the breakdown lane, sending him into nearby trees.
The trooper was transported to Portsmouth Regional Hospital by Greenland Fire and Rescue, and according to Troop A, had been released by Thursday morning. A state police spokesman said White was treated for lacerations to his head and received "lots of bruises."
Dillion and his passenger were uninjured, according to Troop A, which described the accident as under investigation by Sgt. Timothy Hackett, who is off-duty until Aug. 8.
2013 Victory Cross Country
2006 Suzuki Hayabusa
Old 12-19-2006, 04:40 PM
Hummer Authority

RuggedH2 is on a distinguished road

Humans have an infinite capacity to rationalize and justify their own behavior (especially to themselves). Drug dealers have the ability to make the gigantic leap - that they are innocent somehow because of their individual circumstances (whatever they are).

Laws are a black and white standard, they are made up of elements of the crime. If you met the elements, you committed the crime. In court is where your attorney can argue the circumstances and the gray area can be interpreted (or created), it works for you or not.

People don't generally tell doctors how the practice of medicine should be handled, because they assume the doctor is a professional. Police are routinely told how they should have handled every circumstance when in contact with the public.

It is a thankless job often. In many ways people are sheep, they assume their own safety. They leave valuables out in their cars. Then when the bad guy smashes out their window and takes their stuff they are pissed that the cop was not there to stop that conduct. There are not enough cops to protect absolutely everyone at the same time.

I could go on and on here. Think of any profession in the world, what if they took one hour off. One hour without doctors, at 12:30 to 1:30 this afternoon there would be no doctors, what would happen? Some people would obviously die. What would happen if everyone knew that all the police in the world were not going to be working from 12:30 to 1:30 this afternoon?

People are a lot like sheep. They fear the wolf. The sheep dog protects them from the wolf, the sheepdog looks a lot like a wolf to the sheep.

Old 12-19-2006, 04:49 PM
Hummer Veteran

jdrew is on a distinguished road

H.O.P.E. Member
Old 12-19-2006, 05:04 PM
Hummer Messiah

CO Hummer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAGON
No, it's not.

Flipping off a LEO is a sure sign something is up and gives reason for the LEO to check that person out further. What if it was some whack job that was banged out of his mind and had a hankering to do some killing and thought the Po-Po was was nothing but a joke.... so flip them off.

Can you point to the paragraph in the constitution that allows unreasonable measures based on a "hunch"? Even if the hunch is correct, the ends do not justify the means. Talk to 'ol Ben Franklin about that. He was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAGON
Open disrespect of authority for no apparent reason is a great way to get looked at closer. It's not a cop using his position to harass, it's using their training to identify a potential BG before he doesn't something rash.

Open disrespect for authority, although not adviseable, is not illegal. It is no doubt stupid based on what it will bring you. But the point of discussion here is not the result, it's the means. The end result does NOT justify those means. That's a fundamental assersion inherent in the constitution.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:13 PM
Hummer Authority

CO Hummer,

That letter was meant as a joke (obviously), not to be taken seriously.

On a serious issue, when I was a brand new rookie, my sergeant was driving an unmarked unit with poor lighting in the rear, just a couple of red and blue strobes. He stopped to help a young lady with two children in her car that had broken down in the left lane. Before he could get her vehicle moved to the shoulder, he was struck by a speeding vehicle in the rear of his car. He died on impact. That was my first week there.

I am a firearms and tactics instructor at my agency, I have trained three police officers that have been killed by gunfire in my state. I have lost two other friends in my line of work to traffic accidents (none were their fault). I have served in law enforcement for only ten years.

Old 12-19-2006, 05:15 PM
Hummer Messiah

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0313H3
CO Hummer,

That letter was meant as a joke (obviously), not to be taken seriously.

I know. But it hit upon a real and prevailing attitude with a lot of cops.

BTW - I'm NOT in favor of flying by cops at 65mph. I don't think you should do that to anyone. The fact that they are law enforcement officers is irrelevant.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:21 PM
Hummer Authority

Until you've walked a mile in their shoes.....

Please take the opportunity to go on a "ride along" with your local police. They do this often for the public, it might be a real eye opener.

Old 12-19-2006, 05:22 PM
Hummer Messiah

Quote:

Please take the opportunity to go on a "ride along" with your local police. They do this often for the public, it might be a real eye opener.

I have, many times. My sister is a cop.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:23 PM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:

Was just getting ready to say that...

H.O.P.E. Member
Old 12-19-2006, 05:27 PM
Hummer Messiah

Quote:

This is simply another pragmatic argument.

What if I say "I'm a very busy person and have a very little free time. So, I need to driver faster than the speed limit. If you walked a mile in my shoes, you'd understand." You'd probably throw something at me that says "well, the law is the law and you broke it". But, that is actually MY point.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:31 PM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
This is simply another pragmatic argument.

What if I say "I'm a very busy person and have a very little free time. So, I need to driver faster than the speed limit. If you walked a mile in my shoes, you'd understand." You'd probably throw something at me that says "well, the law is the law and you broke it". But, that is actually MY point.

Naw, I would say, "Leave 10 min earlier." lol

H.O.P.E. Member
Old 12-19-2006, 05:33 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

I've done "ride alongs" a few times and had a great time. Some punk ass bitch showed us respect by throwing an empty malt liquor bottle at us in a heavily patrolled ghetto. It was pretty sweet the way he was taken down by several officers. (I've never done a ride-along in Va Beach. No fun and excitement.)
Old 12-19-2006, 05:38 PM
Hummer Messiah

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenP
I've done "ride alongs" a few times and had a great time. Some punk ass bitch showed us respect by throwing an empty malt liquor bottle at us in a heavily patrolled ghetto. It was pretty sweet the way he was taken down by several officers. (I've never done a ride-along in Va Beach. No fun and excitement.)

The funniest ridealong I did was when we pulled over a drunk driver. Watching that guy try to do the roadside sobriety test was hilarious. But it got better when she put him in the car. He was all over me, telling me how it was illegal for me to be there and how he was going to sue me, etc, etc. I didn't say a word. Just kept a big grin on my face.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Can you point to the paragraph in the constitution that allows unreasonable measures based on a "hunch"? Even if the hunch is correct, the ends do not justify the means. Talk to 'ol Ben Franklin about that. He was right.

Open disrespect for authority, although not adviseable, is not illegal. It is no doubt stupid based on what it will bring you. But the point of discussion here is not the result, it's the means. The end result does NOT justify those means. That's a fundamental assersion inherent in the constitution.
Welp, there are one or two items that I can point to that are not covered in the Constitution. Most have to do with local, State and Federal code.

How did this jump to "unreasonable measures"? Or where does "hunch" fall into this? Flipping off a LEO is no different than swerving once while driving down the interstate. All it does if bring the attention of the LEO to check on you further. I don't think anyone advocates that it means that said LEO could search your person or vehicle without further cause, but it would mean he could simply pull you over for that act and ask why you did it to be sure he continues to protect the public. There's no hunch that someone randomly acting in anger to authority might be disturbed or acting upon some other motive.

It's insane to think that some guy flipping off a LEO SHOULDN'T get the attention of LEOs, if, for nothing else, to be sure that the guy is stable. No different than following a car or stopping a car for various other reasons.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:41 PM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
I have, many times. My sister is a cop.

I would take for granted then, that she is a professional and takes her duties and oath seriously "to protect and uphold the Constitution of the United States".

If she developed an "attitude" about dealing with someone who might flip her off, (the part you seem concerned about) maybe that is a consequence of her everyday circumstances. How bout cutting her some slack?

I have lost almost a friend a year at work, and take sh*t from bad guys everyday that I work. I have been told how I should do my job almost everyday by the public. I must be a moron, except that I have been promoted by my agency to supervise other cops.

It is easy to sit back and point out the failings of others, no one is judged with hindsight like police. Yes, I am now whining on the internet also.

Old 12-19-2006, 05:45 PM
Hummer Guru

dеiтайожни is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I have been told how I should do my job almost everyday by the public. I must be a moron, except that I have been promoted by my agency to supervise other cops.

It is easy to sit back and point out the failings of others, no one is judged with hindsight like police. Yes, I am now whining on the internet also.

What you should've done was type that in bold. Maybe some pictures as well?