H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 03-01-2006, 02:18 AM

UNOMYFLO is off the scale

I posted this in the H1 forum by accident...

I have some oil weeping from the timing cover bolt...the one that you can see right above the crank pully bad thing is to either remove it to put some silicone on it and re-install it to stop the SMALL leak or even to tighten it is impossible without removing the pully from the crank as just half of the head is exposed......

Have you seen this on any other H3's?

should I be concerned other than hating any oil leaks juts a weep no drip on the shield underneath...
what would be you fix and is there one w/o removing the lower crank pully?

do you have the weep?
does nayone else?

look at the lower pully its the small bolt recessed into the tining cover right above behind the bottom crank pully.

also F5 any ideas or new info on the rattle thread??

can you ask around? I know you have contacts we dont seems a few have i someone must know about it or have a fix?

thnx
UNO
Old 03-01-2006, 02:18 AM

I posted this in the H1 forum by accident...

I have some oil weeping from the timing cover bolt...the one that you can see right above the crank pully bad thing is to either remove it to put some silicone on it and re-install it to stop the SMALL leak or even to tighten it is impossible without removing the pully from the crank as just half of the head is exposed......

Have you seen this on any other H3's?

should I be concerned other than hating any oil leaks juts a weep no drip on the shield underneath...
what would be you fix and is there one w/o removing the lower crank pully?

do you have the weep?
does nayone else?

look at the lower pully its the small bolt recessed into the tining cover right above behind the bottom crank pully.

also F5 any ideas or new info on the rattle thread??

can you ask around? I know you have contacts we dont seems a few have i someone must know about it or have a fix?

thnx
UNO
Old 03-01-2006, 06:07 AM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank goodness for warranties! I hope your issue isn't anything bad. Keep us up to date.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:01 AM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm have to assume the small pulley is the water pump pulley. Have not heard any problems. Possibly, one of the bolts is loose and a re-torque might do it, but honestly, I doubt it. But not being there I can't say.
My suggestion, let the dealer fix it.
Since there are no time studies done for the I-5 in the Hummer, I had to look at what it would take for the Colorado 4x4 and it appears to be around 11 hours.
It is not an intrusive repair, in that the parts removed are not hard to remove or install (not like an engine rebuild). Probably just a gap in the sealer. This can happen since the sealer is applied via a machine, and if the operator wasn't keeping a good look at what was going through, small gaps can happen. Rare, but possible.
Since there are no notable number of engine repairs showing up on warranty, this won't be studied for a while. Good thing, means very little problems with engine, bad thing for me to estimate how long a repair will take. Therefore, I had to use the time given to the Colorado 4x4 with the I-5 engine.
Old 03-01-2006, 02:10 PM

F5 no not the water pump pully the weeping is coming from the timing cover bolt seen juts above the crank pully bottom front of motor.

Like I said unfortunately the crank pully inhibits the removal of that particular timing cover bolt so the crank pully will need to be pulled and I assume the fan and fan shroud althogh I cant remember now how much spce was there pergaps just the belt and the crank pully is all that is needed to be removed to access and remove the bolt and throw some sealent on the threads and the bolt head flange and a re-torque.

something else to add to the list.

I will have thm do it when the apillar plastic pieces and the 2 top side rails become available and have them try to diagnose the cold start rattle.

so to date this is what I have had done.

1) rear washer pump
2) encoder motor replaced and the TCCM re-programmed
3) onstar module replaced
4) new serp belt and pullys cleaned and tensioner checked
5) re-program the BCM for the rough idle
6) 5 trips to the dealer 2hrs away

left to do

1) replace 4 plastic trim pieces as I have the cracks on both sides of the a pillar to side upper rail trim pieces

2) cold start rattle

3) timing cover bolt leak above crank pully (I cant see this being an 11hr fix can it??)

ughhhhhh

thanks F5
Old 03-01-2006, 08:03 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

If they have to pull off the cover, it is an all day fix. Not sure if they can seal just that one hole where the bolt goes through.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:55 AM

Thank you for the help as always.

UNO