H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 08-12-2006, 09:27 PM
Hummer Professional

ChevyHighPerformance is off the scale
Default My backup camera

Here are some pictures of the PepBoys back up camera and monitor ($99). I added NdBFe magnets to the base of the monitor and to the underneath the removable dash trim piece using double sided table. The monitor can be easily moved (just held in place by the permanent magnets) to clean the windshield. The cable with slack was run between the windshield and the dash down to the firewall connector. The camera was mounted to the right of the hitch using a homemade Al bracket painted black (there is a hole in the hitch already underneath the sticker). The camera sits inside this "cove" so water doesn't drip down on it from the bumper. The system can be manually turned on by a button on the monitor and automatically turns on when you put the tranny in reverse. I can see about one foot behind the bumper out and the spare doesn't block the view.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg monitor.jpg (27.7 KB, 654 views)
File Type: jpg camera.jpg (98.4 KB, 683 views)
Old 08-12-2006, 11:50 PM
Hummer Guru

fourfourto is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: My backup camera

Cant beat that setup for that price.

I played with one at pep boys it looks like a nice setup
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.
Old 08-13-2006, 02:41 AM
Steve - SanJose

Nice affordable camera set up. A lot cheaper than my $1100 (dealer installed) Hitchcam.

Rear cameras make a lot of sense on the H3, and other SUV's too. They pay for themselves real fast, based on discussion on this forum about expensive actual backing up crashes.

S.
Old 08-13-2006, 02:55 AM
Hummer Veteran

fw888 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyHighPerformance
Here are some pictures of the PepBoys back up camera and monitor ($99). I added NdBFe magnets to the base of the monitor and to the underneath the removable dash trim piece using double sided table. The monitor can be easily moved (just held in place by the permanent magnets) to clean the windshield. The cable with slack was run between the windshield and the dash down to the firewall connector. The camera was mounted to the right of the hitch using a homemade Al bracket painted black (there is a hole in the hitch already underneath the sticker). The camera sits inside this "cove" so water doesn't drip down on it from the bumper. The system can be manually turned on by a button on the monitor and automatically turns on when you put the tranny in reverse. I can see about one foot behind the bumper out and the spare doesn't block the view.

Nice, how do you hook up the power source?
Adv. Pack, Chrome Pack, Chrome Step Assist, Chrome fuel cover, Chrome Hood with handle, Chrome air intake, Chrome side marker light, Oem Brushguard, Tow Package, Factory Mudflaps Front/Back, XM Radio, OnStar ... more to come
Old 08-13-2006, 03:09 AM
Hummer Professional

Monitor cable went through firewall grommet near parking brake. I got +12 volts from fusebox in front of battery. I used the firewall ground. I tapped into the reverse wire from the trailer wiring connector behind the battery.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:13 AM
Elcova Newbie

Black-H3-in-PA is on a distinguished road

Very nice. I had to go out and buy one before my wife backs into someone One question. I can't seem to find the reverse trailer wire behind the battery. Do you have a picture of where the wire is connected? Thanks!
Old 08-15-2006, 05:54 PM
Hummer Veteran

DWPC is an unknown quantity at this point

Look's like a deal. How's the video quality? Can you post a picture of the image?
Old 08-16-2006, 11:42 PM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-H3-in-PA
Very nice. I had to go out and buy one before my wife backs into someone One question. I can't seem to find the reverse trailer wire behind the battery. Do you have a picture of where the wire is connected? Thanks!

Here is a picture of the connector. It is right behind the battery. I tied into the light green wire at the bottom of the connector (the portion that goes back to the hitch becuase it has more slick to work with. I removed some of the insulation and soldered to the wire versus using a splice connector.
Attached Images

Old 08-16-2006, 11:52 PM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWPC
Look's like a deal. How's the video quality? Can you post a picture of the image?

Here is is picture of the screen. The picture didn't turn out well; the monitor has much better resolution than this. No problem seeing the picture in bright sunlight. There are two bricks shown in the monitor picture. Here are two pictures from either side in the rear to show you where the bricks are. The center brick is about 1 foot behind a back of the spare. I can adjust how close I can see to the rear by bending the homemade bracket.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0351.JPG (116.1 KB, 473 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0350.JPG (107.1 KB, 472 views)
Old 08-17-2006, 02:21 AM
Hummer Guru

Agriv8r is an unknown quantity at this point

great pics, good job..
Old 08-17-2006, 04:11 PM
Hummer Professional

Boar-Ral is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve - SanJose
Nice affordable camera set up. A lot cheaper than my $1100 (dealer installed) Hitchcam.

Rear cameras make a lot of sense on the H3, and other SUV's too. They pay for themselves real fast, based on discussion on this forum about expensive actual backing up crashes.

S.
Tell me about it. I owned my H2 for five days before I backed into an Audi. No damage to the Hummer, but the Audi was written off due to the damage.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:23 PM
Hummer Guru

fourfourto is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyHighPerformance
Here is is picture of the screen. The picture didn't turn out well; the monitor has much better resolution than this. No problem seeing the picture in bright sunlight. There are two bricks shown in the monitor picture. Here are two pictures from either side in the rear to show you where the bricks are. The center brick is about 1 foot behind a back of the spare. I can adjust how close I can see to the rear by bending the homemade bracket.

I dont see a picture of the screen only 2 pics of side view of the bricks.
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:09 PM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourfourto
I dont see a picture of the screen only 2 pics of side view of the bricks.

My mistake. Here it is.
Attached Images

Old 08-17-2006, 10:23 PM
Elcova Newbie

Black-H3-in-PA is on a distinguished road

Thanks!!
Old 08-17-2006, 11:32 PM
Hummer Expert

jp's-h3 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was going to buy one off of ebay!