Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > ETC. Forums > Other HUMMER Models

Old 11-13-2007, 04:12 PM
Hummer Authority

Hummer Aficionado_VT is on a distinguished road
Default Biodiesel turbine, super capacitor HUMMER!

Some of you may have seen this on hummerguy.net. Its pretty cool, especially the 0-60 time!

Biodiesel turbine, super capacitor, series hybrid... HUMMER! (60 MPG and 0-60 in 5 seconds)
Posted Oct 20th 2007 3:44PM by Lascelles Linton
Filed under: Diesel, EV/Plug-in, MPG, SEMA Show

Johnathan Goodwin is the patron saint of green cars (although as of yet, this honor has gone unrecognized by the Vatican). Last April, John was the guy behind the Chevy Impala conversion that smoked a Lamborghini in a quarter mile on the Earth Day special of MTV's Pimp My Ride. Arnold Schwarzenegger was so impressed that when he did a guest appearance on the Earth Day Pimp My Ride special, he hired SAE Energy (where John is co-partner) to make his Jeep run on biodiesel. Recently, John made the cover of Fast Company magazine for an article describing a green gearhead's wet dream.

Fast Company visited John's garage and found a 2005 Hummer H3 on jacks. John is going to put a 60,000 PRM, 1985, turbine, jet engine in the Hummer. The turbine engine will run on biodiesel or waste vegetable oil with a hydrogen-injector. John plans to make a series hybrid with this turbine engine. A beauty like that going to waste as a range extender? No, it charges a set of super capacitors in a matter of seconds, giving the car 600 horse power.

That's not all. Jon says "it'll get 60 miles to the gallon. With 2,000 foot-pounds of torque. You'll be able to smoke the tires. And it's going to be superefficient. ... Think about it: a 5,000-pound vehicle that gets 60 miles to the gallon and does zero to 60 in five seconds!" John is not just making drool worthy cars for stars like Neil Young (John is converting a 1960 Lincoln Continental to biodiesel, electric hybrid for him.) John said he wants to make a 100-mile-per-gallon car one day and he is working on a $5,000 conversion kit that make diesels run 50 percent more efficiently and emit 80 percent less pollution. John estimates his bolt-on kit will pay for itself in a year for bigger SUVs and two years for a normal car. He is getting patents hoping to license them to the big carmakers but he thinks automakers can do a lot more right now.

Go below the fold to see how John is using Ace Hardware better than you.

[Source: Fast Company]

John is clearly a genius and SAE Energy is doing really amazing things, but the conversions cost $28,000. I am no defender of the big automakers but I think they played up (just a little) the poor guy from Kansas. Without a high school education, John is a throttling loving environmentalist, showing GM things they thought were impossible at SEMA, and he just might save Detroit's image. John could probably slap together an electric car with parts from ACE Hardware (might not be a big seller, though). I also think the article is a little too hopeful about the future of diesel. Here are some quotes;

"They could do all this stuff if they wanted to. ... The technology has been there forever. They make 90% of the components I use... I've just been messing around and seeing what I can do. ... Everybody should be driving a plug-in vehicle right now. ... I can go next door to Ace Hardware and buy a DC electric motor, go out to my four-wheel-drive truck, remove the transmission and engine, bolt the electric motor onto the back of the transfer case, put a series of lead-acid batteries up to 240 volts in the back of the bed, and we're good to go. I guarantee you I could drive all around town and do whatever I need, go home at night, and hook up a couple of battery chargers, plug one into an outlet, and be good to go the next day."

It does make you wonder why we have not seen at least mild hybrids sooner though. Anyway, John's turbine biodiesel, super capacitor, series hybrid Hummer is freaking cool!
Tags: biodiesel, capacitor, conversion, diesel, diesel hybrid, DieselHybrid, hummer, hybrid, Johnathan Goodwin, JohnathanGoodwin, series hybrid, SeriesHybrid, turbine

Old 11-14-2007, 08:22 PM
Hummer Guru

wpage is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Biodiesel turbine, super capacitor HUMMER!

Very interesting. Would love that power system in my rig
(John 3:16)
2006 H3 Slate Blue,Header,Jacked,CAI,Toyo35's,HHO.
Priors...
Explorer
Commander
71 Vette
You Name it!
Old 11-15-2007, 04:07 PM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpage
Very interesting. Would love that power system in my rig

I think any one with any rig would like that power system!
Old 01-05-2008, 10:34 PM
Hummer Guru

Yes and 60 mpg. Want it now
Priors...
Explorer
Commander
71 Vette
You Name it!
Old 01-08-2008, 04:14 PM
Hummer Authority

Well, we can dream, can't we?
Old 03-25-2008, 07:58 PM
Hummer Novice

H1hummerfiend is on a distinguished road

It,s not a dream at all, I was recently out in kansas working on some builds with John and have worked with him on several builds over the last five years (including the 65 impala)and he is no joke. Just be a little patient I think it is coming sooner than everyone might think!
Old 02-17-2009, 08:32 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by H1hummerfiend
It,s not a dream at all, I was recently out in kansas working on some builds with John and have worked with him on several builds over the last five years (including the 65 impala)and he is no joke. Just be a little patient I think it is coming sooner than everyone might think!
Well its been about a year now...
Anything brewing with John lately? Has Obama got him a slot yet?
Priors...
Explorer
Commander
71 Vette
You Name it!
Old 02-24-2009, 02:24 AM
Elcova Newbie

mikegoodboy2009 is on a distinguished road
Talking Sarah Jessica Parker Bundled Up in the Big Apple

Braving the cold winter weather, Sarah Jessica Parker was spotted out in New York City earlier today (February 6). Dressed for the chilliness, the actress bundled up to stay warm in a knitted hat, navy blue parka, jeans, and some cozy UGG boots as she exited her Big Apple abode.In related news, New Line Cinema spokeswoman, Candice McDonough, has confirmed that SJP’s “Sex and the City” will have a sequel ?C due out in summer 2010. The movie will again include her three co-stars, Kim Cattrall, Kristin Davis and Cynthia Nixon, along with writer-director Michael Patrick King.Talking about the movie, King is keeping fans guessing, stating, “I’m very excited to work with these amazing actresses again and would love to give everyone more information about this sequel..but I’m busy with my ‘Sex’ life.”I love uggs .
Old 03-01-2009, 09:02 AM
Hummer Authority

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ is off the scale
Default Re: Sarah Jessica Parker Bundled Up in the Big Apple

What has this got to do with what wpage asked? Most of us could care less about Sarah Jessica Parker and S in the C. Stay with the thread or start a new one. Being a newbie, if you are, does not cover for an excuse. Get with the program.

Yes also I would like to know any up to date news on John lately?

TAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegoodboy2009
Braving the cold winter weather, Sarah Jessica Parker was spotted out in New York City earlier today (February 6). Dressed for the chilliness, the actress bundled up to stay warm in a knitted hat, navy blue parka, jeans, and some cozy UGG boots as she exited her Big Apple abode.In related news, New Line Cinema spokeswoman, Candice McDonough, has confirmed that SJP?s ?Sex and the City? will have a sequel ?C due out in summer 2010. The movie will again include her three co-stars, Kim Cattrall, Kristin Davis and Cynthia Nixon, along with writer-director Michael Patrick King.Talking about the movie, King is keeping fans guessing, stating, ?I?m very excited to work with these amazing actresses again and would love to give everyone more information about this sequel..but I?m busy with my ?Sex? life.?I love uggs .
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Old 07-06-2010, 01:57 AM
Hummer Expert

twr is on a distinguished road

Hi HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ, another dead beat post under what you said trying to sell led this is B.S

2008 H2 SUV
Starr Hid projector headlights
Hid lights in the DRL bumper holes
Custom Alum. light bar, 2 Rigid Industries 10 inch Leds
MC2 Roof Light Bar
24 inch Starr 770 Hammer Rims
Gen 6 Lockpick
Gm bluetooth
Front + Rear Camera's

73 Duster 588 ci. B1 injected akly with NOS
Supercharged 2002 Harley, E Glide Classic
2005 Screamin Eagle, E Glide