Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > General Hummer Talk > In the News

Old 04-14-2005, 12:52 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Hummer's most powerful H1 ever gets Duramax diesel
By Associated Press
Apr 14, 2005 - 01:32:40 am PDT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Arguably the most exotic 4X4 vehicle in the country, the military-styled Hummer H1 now is more powerful, more refined in its ride, quieter inside and taller than ever.

But the look remains unmistakably, aggressively Hummer, with only subtle design changes mostly made to accommodate the new, 300-horsepower, Duramax 6600 turbo-diesel V8.

The revamped 2006 flagship of the Hummer line also is the first to wear a new badge -- Alpha -- that denotes it's a performance model. The new H1 has 95 more horsepower and 80 more foot-pounds of torque than its predecessor.

Hummer officials plan to add the Alpha badge to other, smaller Hummers, such as the H2 and H3, as their performance versions are developed down the road. This marks the first time Hummer has a performance series, and the H1 -- the first commercial model of Hummer ever sold -- now will be available only in Alpha form.

The H1's price is increased considerably. Starting manufacturer's suggested retail price, including destination charge, for the base, open-top, 2006 H1 Alpha is $129,389. The 2006 H1 Alpha with hardtop now tops $140,000.

In contrast, the predecessor 2004 H1 started at $106,185. There were no 2005 H1s, company officials said.

The new pricing compares with the $79,620 starting price of the 2005 Mercedes-Benz G-Class SUV that, like the Hummer, began its life as a vehicle used by military officials. The high-performance version of G-Class, which wears the AMG badge, starts at $102,120.

This major redesign of the H1 started as officials sought to substitute the Duramax turbo-diesel engine for the lower-powered General Motors Corp. turbo-diesel V8 that had been in previous Hummers.

Customers wanted the newer technology and the higher performance afforded by the Duramax engine, officials said.

Indeed, it was especially welcome in the test H1, a hardtop model weighing more than 7,500 pounds. For a vehicle with just four seats inside -- all widely space around the raised mechanicals in the vehicle's middle section -- this is an unheard-of weight. It's more than two Ford Ranger 4X4 Regular Cab pickup trucks put together.

Reason for the H1's massive weight: The civilian H1 retains much of the durable, military-spec construction and equipment requirements of its sibling military Humvees that are sold to the U.S. armed forces and to foreign governments.

For example, the rugged chassis on civilian H1s is beefed up way beyond that of regular SUVs. The tires are sizable Goodyears that are connected to an on-board tire inflation system that a driver uses to deflate and inflate tires while driving over varying off-road surfaces.

The test H1 got up to speed on a rural road in what seemed like a sprightly manner compared with its predecessor.

No matter that the H1 and I were swiftly passed by a guy in a sporty Porsche. The boost in power that comes from the H1's new, 6.6-liter Duramax V8 -- including an awesome 520 foot-pounds of torque at a low 1,500 rpm -- was palpable and pleasing. The H1's previous 205-horsepower, turbodiesel V8 provided 440 foot-pounds of torque at 1,800 rpm.

At times, I even had to watch the speedometer to make sure I wasn't speeding on the highway -- something I didn't seem to worry about in the lower-powered, previous H1s. Note the speedometer tops out at 100 miles an hour.

On- and off-road, the new five-speed, heavy-duty, automatic transmission supplied by Allison -- which replaced a Hydra-Matic four-speed automatic in earlier H1s -- had well-timed shifts and good gearing.

And off-road, clambering over boulders and through gullies, I appreciated the now lower gearing that helped me better maintain vehicle control in delicate maneuvers.

But overall, it wasn't just the increased power that made the H1 tester more attractive. It was the nicer ride.

Previous H1s were so noisy, I could scarcely converse or listen to the radio, and the rough ride made me feel fatigued at the end of a daylong drive.

Now, the interior is noticeably quieter. While I heard the Duramax V8 every time I pressed the accelerator, it was nowhere as noisy and rough-sounding as the previous engine.

Hummer engineers also installed quieter differentials, and the cooling fan for the radiator is a new design and less noisy, too.

There's still wind noise, to be sure, in this blockish vehicle, and some tire noise as well on pavement.

Seats are improved, too, and now incorporate some of the same type of padding that's in today's body-conforming foam pillows and mattress pads.

Brake discs at all four corners are 1.5 inches larger in diameter for noticeably firmer braking, so, overall, the ride in the tester was improved.

But climbing inside the 6.6-foot-tall H1 took some doing for someone 5-feet-4, like me.

Already a tall vehicle, the H1 now is 2 inches taller and has a minimum ground clearance of 16 inches, which is double that of some other SUVs. The increased body height was prompted by the new engine, which is bigger than the previous powerplant.

At least Hummer officials now have a grab handle by the windshield to help people get inside. I used to have to grab hold of the steering wheel, which was an awkward move.

Once inside the Hummer, passengers have bird's eye views out, though the mostly upright windshield and side windows are smallish.

There's no airbag in the H1. It's not required for this kind of heavy-duty vehicle.

There's no official government fuel economy rating, either, though company officials estimate that the now-larger-capacity fuel tanks -- there are two to hold a total of some 52 gallons -- can provide a range of nearly 600 miles.

The instrument panel is smaller than that of many other vehicles. Interior controls aren't the most ergonomically placed, either.

But in contrast with the military Humvees, the H1 comes standard with air conditioning, power windows and door locks, a premium Monsoon stereo system, leather-trimmed seats and other amenities.

Note that the warranty coverage on all Hummers improves starting in the 2006 model year, going from three years/36,000 miles to four years/50,000 miles. This is akin to what many luxury makes provide.

Company officials expect H1 sales to remain stable. Average annual sales over the last four calendar years have totaled more than 660.

Most H1 buyers are men, with affluent lifestyles and adventurous spirits, Hummer said. They are well along in their careers or entrepreneurial endeavors, and the H1 is one of many vehicles in their households.

The 2006 Hummer H1 has not been the subject of a safety recall. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration does not report crash test results for the H1, and Consumer Reports does not provide reliability data for this low-volume model.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:52 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Hummer's most powerful H1 ever gets Duramax diesel
By Associated Press
Apr 14, 2005 - 01:32:40 am PDT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Arguably the most exotic 4X4 vehicle in the country, the military-styled Hummer H1 now is more powerful, more refined in its ride, quieter inside and taller than ever.

But the look remains unmistakably, aggressively Hummer, with only subtle design changes mostly made to accommodate the new, 300-horsepower, Duramax 6600 turbo-diesel V8.

The revamped 2006 flagship of the Hummer line also is the first to wear a new badge -- Alpha -- that denotes it's a performance model. The new H1 has 95 more horsepower and 80 more foot-pounds of torque than its predecessor.

Hummer officials plan to add the Alpha badge to other, smaller Hummers, such as the H2 and H3, as their performance versions are developed down the road. This marks the first time Hummer has a performance series, and the H1 -- the first commercial model of Hummer ever sold -- now will be available only in Alpha form.

The H1's price is increased considerably. Starting manufacturer's suggested retail price, including destination charge, for the base, open-top, 2006 H1 Alpha is $129,389. The 2006 H1 Alpha with hardtop now tops $140,000.

In contrast, the predecessor 2004 H1 started at $106,185. There were no 2005 H1s, company officials said.

The new pricing compares with the $79,620 starting price of the 2005 Mercedes-Benz G-Class SUV that, like the Hummer, began its life as a vehicle used by military officials. The high-performance version of G-Class, which wears the AMG badge, starts at $102,120.

This major redesign of the H1 started as officials sought to substitute the Duramax turbo-diesel engine for the lower-powered General Motors Corp. turbo-diesel V8 that had been in previous Hummers.

Customers wanted the newer technology and the higher performance afforded by the Duramax engine, officials said.

Indeed, it was especially welcome in the test H1, a hardtop model weighing more than 7,500 pounds. For a vehicle with just four seats inside -- all widely space around the raised mechanicals in the vehicle's middle section -- this is an unheard-of weight. It's more than two Ford Ranger 4X4 Regular Cab pickup trucks put together.

Reason for the H1's massive weight: The civilian H1 retains much of the durable, military-spec construction and equipment requirements of its sibling military Humvees that are sold to the U.S. armed forces and to foreign governments.

For example, the rugged chassis on civilian H1s is beefed up way beyond that of regular SUVs. The tires are sizable Goodyears that are connected to an on-board tire inflation system that a driver uses to deflate and inflate tires while driving over varying off-road surfaces.

The test H1 got up to speed on a rural road in what seemed like a sprightly manner compared with its predecessor.

No matter that the H1 and I were swiftly passed by a guy in a sporty Porsche. The boost in power that comes from the H1's new, 6.6-liter Duramax V8 -- including an awesome 520 foot-pounds of torque at a low 1,500 rpm -- was palpable and pleasing. The H1's previous 205-horsepower, turbodiesel V8 provided 440 foot-pounds of torque at 1,800 rpm.

At times, I even had to watch the speedometer to make sure I wasn't speeding on the highway -- something I didn't seem to worry about in the lower-powered, previous H1s. Note the speedometer tops out at 100 miles an hour.

On- and off-road, the new five-speed, heavy-duty, automatic transmission supplied by Allison -- which replaced a Hydra-Matic four-speed automatic in earlier H1s -- had well-timed shifts and good gearing.

And off-road, clambering over boulders and through gullies, I appreciated the now lower gearing that helped me better maintain vehicle control in delicate maneuvers.

But overall, it wasn't just the increased power that made the H1 tester more attractive. It was the nicer ride.

Previous H1s were so noisy, I could scarcely converse or listen to the radio, and the rough ride made me feel fatigued at the end of a daylong drive.

Now, the interior is noticeably quieter. While I heard the Duramax V8 every time I pressed the accelerator, it was nowhere as noisy and rough-sounding as the previous engine.

Hummer engineers also installed quieter differentials, and the cooling fan for the radiator is a new design and less noisy, too.

There's still wind noise, to be sure, in this blockish vehicle, and some tire noise as well on pavement.

Seats are improved, too, and now incorporate some of the same type of padding that's in today's body-conforming foam pillows and mattress pads.

Brake discs at all four corners are 1.5 inches larger in diameter for noticeably firmer braking, so, overall, the ride in the tester was improved.

But climbing inside the 6.6-foot-tall H1 took some doing for someone 5-feet-4, like me.

Already a tall vehicle, the H1 now is 2 inches taller and has a minimum ground clearance of 16 inches, which is double that of some other SUVs. The increased body height was prompted by the new engine, which is bigger than the previous powerplant.

At least Hummer officials now have a grab handle by the windshield to help people get inside. I used to have to grab hold of the steering wheel, which was an awkward move.

Once inside the Hummer, passengers have bird's eye views out, though the mostly upright windshield and side windows are smallish.

There's no airbag in the H1. It's not required for this kind of heavy-duty vehicle.

There's no official government fuel economy rating, either, though company officials estimate that the now-larger-capacity fuel tanks -- there are two to hold a total of some 52 gallons -- can provide a range of nearly 600 miles.

The instrument panel is smaller than that of many other vehicles. Interior controls aren't the most ergonomically placed, either.

But in contrast with the military Humvees, the H1 comes standard with air conditioning, power windows and door locks, a premium Monsoon stereo system, leather-trimmed seats and other amenities.

Note that the warranty coverage on all Hummers improves starting in the 2006 model year, going from three years/36,000 miles to four years/50,000 miles. This is akin to what many luxury makes provide.

Company officials expect H1 sales to remain stable. Average annual sales over the last four calendar years have totaled more than 660.

Most H1 buyers are men, with affluent lifestyles and adventurous spirits, Hummer said. They are well along in their careers or entrepreneurial endeavors, and the H1 is one of many vehicles in their households.

The 2006 Hummer H1 has not been the subject of a safety recall. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration does not report crash test results for the H1, and Consumer Reports does not provide reliability data for this low-volume model.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:57 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

What in the world is MB doing in this article?

The truck sounds nice though.