H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 12-22-2006, 09:12 PM
Hummer Veteran

JAYB1RD is on a distinguished road
Default Headunit interface? Help

Hey everyone, I should be picking up an H3 by the end of the year. It will be my first new vehicle

Currently, in my old truck, I have a real nice sound system with a couple amps, components, a sub, and Sirius. It's a 1991, so all I had to do was find power and ground (I like em simple!). I've seen little to no info regarding how to swap the stock radio out in favor of my kenwood setup. I've heard there was an interface that will allow the onstar and some other things to work, but I don't know enough about these yet.

What's it going to take to get my headunit to work in the new 07 Hummer? I believe the new truck has the base model radio with XM (Build code U2K). Other codes are non-radio relevent.

Thanks!
Old 12-23-2006, 01:27 AM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Headunit interface? Help

Adapters will allow for the head unit to pick up power and ground (I recommend a dedicated ground for the unit versus the factory ground). Install is easy with the right equipment.
I did a write up on the install of an AVIC Z1, which could be used for any radio head unit install. Others have done write ups on amp and speaker installs.
Old 12-23-2006, 02:51 AM
Hummer Professional

HumbleAg is off the scale

I'm in the process of installing a Pioneer AVIC-D2. Bought an "all-in-one" interface to keep onstar and chimes (Neucleus GM39B). Unfortunately, there was a "pop" from the speakers when the chimes shut off. Tech support said I likely had a bad unit so I sent it back for a replacement, still waiting.

I'm not sure I believe it, although I'd like it to be true so I can finish the install. I discovered Cardomain.com had the Peripheral interface and chime module on sale, so I ordered those in case the new Neucleus still doesn't work. UPS routed them through Denver so they didn't arrive today like they were supposed to. Oh well, I'm learning patience.

I'll post about the Neucleus interface after I get the new one and try it, hopefully it will work well (it was just over $100 on e-bay).
Old 12-29-2006, 01:25 AM
Hummer Guru

wpage is on a distinguished road

Used the peripheral interface. The 1st one they sent did not work required a jumper on the GM side which I would not agree to. They reluctantly sent me a newer version. Only after returning the old unit for their checking. This one had the jumper on thier side which enables the onstar and chime functions. Damages...
$129.00 interface
$29.00 chime module
$42.00 2nd day return ship ups
$$$$$ agrivation factor and 1.5 weeks with dash board apart.
PS Thier tech support was weak but customer support ok. however would not deviate from policy of no returns without exchange in hand. Good luck!
(John 3:16)
2006 H3 Slate Blue,Header,Jacked,CAI,Toyo35's,HHO.
Priors...
Explorer
Commander
71 Vette
You Name it!
Old 12-29-2006, 07:24 AM
Hummer Veteran

JAYB1RD is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the tips. I just got the truck a couple days ago (pics here) and haven't even used up the first tank of gas but I'm anxious to get rid of the stock system! It looks like I'll be purchasing an onstar interface, chime module, sirius antenna, and some speakers for the front doors in the next couple of weeks. Anyone know what size the speakers are in the doors (front and rear?) Thanks again!
Old 12-30-2006, 12:19 AM
Hummer Guru

wpage is on a distinguished road

Speakers are mounted in the door plastic fronts. Stock stereo units are 4" but you should measure to be certain. Good luck!
(John 3:16)
2006 H3 Slate Blue,Header,Jacked,CAI,Toyo35's,HHO.
Priors...
Explorer
Commander
71 Vette
You Name it!
Old 12-30-2006, 07:15 AM
MotorsportsAuthority aka Dragon's Avatar
MotorsportsAuthority aka Dragon MotorsportsAuthority aka Dragon is offline
Hummer Professional

MotorsportsAuthority aka Dragon is an unknown quantity at this point

PAC-audio or metra makes some real good ones. They're more in the $90 range and you don't have to buy any additional parts/interfaces.