H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H1 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H1

Old 08-16-2006, 08:45 PM
Hummer Expert

Aubs is off the scale
Default Biofuel Conversion Pondering

So I have some thoughts here. Anyone with the dual fuel tanks could try this one.

Currently, B5 is about the only biodiesel mix that won't turn to total jelly at low temps. However, if you heat the fuel, it liquifies again. So a system could be set up in the H1 where one tank is heated while the other runs standard diesel. Operation would be as follows:
1. Make sure Tank 1 (Diesel) is selected.
2. Run vehicle, warming up engine and Tank 2 (B50 for example)
3. Once Tank 2 reaches 50F or whatever temp is required for liquidity, switch from Tank 1 to Tank 2.
4. Run on Tank 2 until getting close to destination.
5. Return to Tank 1 to clear lines of Tank 2 fluid before parking.

Pain in the ass, yes. However, with a garage, and engine block heater, maybe it wouldn't be so bad. You'd have to monitor Tank 2 with a thermocouple to make sure it's temp didn't drop too much while you went in and picked up your doughnuts...

But anyway, this is a makeshift cold weather system to allow the vehicle to operation on biofuel. The local MB dealer said they have people who run their diesels in the same fashion, some using vegetable oil in some as well. I know you can make a fuel from vegetable oil, but not certain on how that one works. They do have some sort of heating element.

This would only be practical for you every day H1 drivers.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:50 PM
Hummer Authority

ssgharkness020147 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Biofuel Conversion Pondering

Actually, Aubs the idea that you have suggested about switching tanks over and or heating them is what pretty much all bio users in colder climates are doing to run their trucks at lower temps.

-007=
Old 08-16-2006, 11:32 PM
Hummer Expert

Aubs is off the scale

Ah, well, I just basically retold what someone told me... haha. I thought it was kinda neat because the H1 (some) already have two tanks. So it would make life easier.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:21 AM
Hummer Expert

NoMoGMPG is an unknown quantity at this point

My preference is to cut my homemade bio with 50% kerosene in the coldest winter months. A B20 mix is actually good down to -8*F.
1999 AMGeneral H1 6.5TD BLACK Wagon e-Lockers Front and Back, Rubberduck4x4 RockTubes, Extended Undercarriage Protection,"Big Duck" 2" body lift/2 1/2" suspension lift, 41" IROK Radials on 17" Cepeks w/Rock Rims, (in process)Centered front diff, 3.08 gears, 12k Brakes and 12k halfshafts
Old 08-17-2006, 05:17 AM
Hummer Authority

ssgharkness020147 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Dave, how does your mix work? I am hating the pump, and actually not driving the truck everyday anymore, but would like run bio. How cold will your mix tolerate. I have a farm suply store two miles down the road that I can get bio at for pretty cheap and a buddy that works at an oil company that can hook me up with a tank, rebuilt pump, and kerosene for pretty cheap, so I'm pretty interested to hear how bio and kerosene is working for you in the winter months.

-007=
Old 08-18-2006, 12:18 AM
Hummer Expert

NoMoGMPG is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgharkness020147
Hey Dave, how does your mix work? I am hating the pump, and actually not driving the truck everyday anymore, but would like run bio. How cold will your mix tolerate. I have a farm suply store two miles down the road that I can get bio at for pretty cheap and a buddy that works at an oil company that can hook me up with a tank, rebuilt pump, and kerosene for pretty cheap, so I'm pretty interested to hear how bio and kerosene is working for you in the winter months.

The bio works very well as long as it is quality, washed and dried stuff. Stay away from unwashed homemade bio, it will corrode your injection pump seals and cause failures.The 50/50 with kerosene is good to 15*F, if I expect a cold snap I'll stay with the commercial B20 which as I stated is good to -8*F (verified). Expect to replace your fuel filter every 500 miles at least for the first 1000 miles because of the cleaning action the bio does on the entire fuel containment system. Bio also makes the engine run quieter and last longer due to a huge improvement in fuel lubricity.

Good luck!
1999 AMGeneral H1 6.5TD BLACK Wagon e-Lockers Front and Back, Rubberduck4x4 RockTubes, Extended Undercarriage Protection,"Big Duck" 2" body lift/2 1/2" suspension lift, 41" IROK Radials on 17" Cepeks w/Rock Rims, (in process)Centered front diff, 3.08 gears, 12k Brakes and 12k halfshafts
Old 08-18-2006, 05:21 AM
Hummer Expert

Aubs is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoGMPG
The bio works very well as long as it is quality, washed and dried stuff. Stay away from unwashed homemade bio, it will corrode your injection pump seals and cause failures.The 50/50 with kerosene is good to 15*F, if I expect a cold snap I'll stay with the commercial B20 which as I stated is good to -8*F (verified). Expect to replace your fuel filter every 500 miles at least for the first 1000 miles because of the cleaning action the bio does on the entire fuel containment system. Bio also makes the engine run quieter and last longer due to a huge improvement in fuel lubricity.

Good luck!

So Dave, what is it costing you for a gallon of your mix roughly? I am still on the fence about this damn H3 vs. H1 thing. I am EXTREMELY tempted to buy an H1, and run it on biofuel, hoping that will be the only fuel that may actually decrease in price.