H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H1 Discussion Forums > General H1 Discussion

Old 03-21-2009, 05:26 PM
Elcova Newbie

bowtoyclc is on a distinguished road
Default New to this and need some input

New to this and need some input
Well guys and gals I recently came across a 2000 H1 wagon for sale and I think that my time to become an owner might finally be here. I have no previous experience with anything hummer related, however, just like every other boy in the world, I have always dreamed about owning an h1.

So please before I take the plunge I would like to get some advice from fellow owners on what to expect, should I stay away and wait for a different truck to come along etc.

It is a...
2000 H1 wagon
69,xxx miles
New tires, and power steering pump but other than that unknown new parts/maintenance.
Missing all stereo equipment, and has junk fake carbon fiber trims pieces that need replaced.
Drivers seat is rather broken, the armrest and hinge that controls the angle of the back support don't function properly. Clothe seats.
Missing rear window control, and 1 or 2 interior trim pieces to cover the bracing on the headliner and missing the glove box and cup holder compartment between front seats.
I have not had time to play with all the buttons yet but seems like majority of controls work as designed.
besides the about mentioned, the interior is in need of a good cleaning/shampooing.
The exterior paint has some wear and chips (7-8 out of 10) condition wise.
Seams to run good, but I don?t know much history. I think because of the mileage the 8 cyl problem should be worked out by now though.

As for price I am looking at $27000 usd plus tax and title.

Just wondering what you guys think, on what to check, what it would cost to fix the interior, anything else to check and lastly is the price to high. I just can't decide if the price is good for the condition and what it would take to make it whole and good again?
Old 03-22-2009, 03:46 PM
Hummer Veteran

lvs is off the scale
Default Re: New to this and need some input

Did you run a car fax on it? Pretty much everything you have listed is cosmetic. What about the conditon of the underside? Has it been off-road much? How does is start and idle? Have you driven it? You need to check the VIN for the #8 cylindar issue. Does it have a winch or any other accessories? An 00 has no lockers unless they were put in later.

Just my opinion here and others may differ, but I think you could find something better for that price. You should be able to find one with lots of accessories and with the interior in better condition. If they didn't take care of the inside, I'd question how much they took care of the rest of it, like ensuring all A, B, and C servicing was done on time.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:34 PM
Elcova Newbie

It?s through a local dealer and as of yet there are no maintenance records or even owners manuals with the truck. I haven't run a carfax because normally they are a joke. In my state all it will show is the date and number of owners and if it has a salvage title. Any accident info by law must be reported by the owner and no one actually gets on carfax to report that their own vehicle was wrecked.
The truck started as instantaneous as possible and runs and drives fine. There seems to be no blow by, and that?s the extent of my knowledge when it comes to diesels. The underside shows wear and tear but nothing that I saw would lead me to believe that it was offroaded and abused in that way.
It has no winch, but does have the ctis.
Primarily this truck caught my eye because it?s local and for the year is the only thing I have seen in my price range.
I tried to check out all the controls and see if things worked properly but without the manuals myself and the dealer didn't know how to operate everything. (Such as defrosters, CTIS, etc)

One of my friends recognized the truck and said ever time he saw it, it had a 20 ft. trailer behind it, so I am assuming that it has done a hefty amount of towing in its life.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:37 PM
Elcova Newbie

Where would a better place be to look for an H1? Ebay/craigslist/autotrader are the places I have looked and price for the year, this one is the best I have found.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:09 AM
Hummer Veteran

lvs is off the scale

Ebay and autotrader are the prefect places to watch the prices.

I would recommend getting a login for http://www.hummernetworkforums.com/ and check out the H1 forum. There is also a knowledgebase where you can look up additional information about buying an H1 and what to look for.

Members will post H1's for sale as they some across them and will give you feedback on H1's people are looking at. Post this same info there and you will get more feedback.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:00 AM
Hummer Veteran

JustinOK is on a distinguished road

Where are you/the truck located? You might be able to get someone on here to go with you to inspect it, show you what to look for, etc.

Not telling you to buy it, but if you do I have my OEM stereo/CD changer from my 1998 sitting in my garage. I replaced it with a Sony single CD stereo, and put a CB radio where the CD changer was.

Also, there is a company that makes gloveboxes for boats that fits our trucks perfect, and its only $25 or so. That's what I'm using right now, I can provide a link should you need it.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:11 AM
Elcova Newbie

Thanks for the input; I think I am going to pass on this one but haven't decided 100%. It's just to questionable without an exact history. I will check out that other site and gain some knowledge.

My initial thought was that it was a good enough price that I could ignore the lack of a history, however, after some research I am changing that belief.