H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 09-15-2015, 02:53 AM

jsbihn is on a distinguished road
Default Help! Leaking coolant

Ok. So I did the radiator bypass for the transmission cooler. It has been some time and suddenly I see an intermittant low coolant message on my display. I get around to filling up the resevoir. So stupid me (or stupid Hummer depending on which way you look at it) couldnt read the writing on the side of the resevoir that is blocked by hoses and facing towards the drivers side.... and I fill the whole resevoir up.
Ok.... After that I ran a few emergency med calls this weekend (which if you dont realize I do emergency fire medic for my fire dept - among other things... and I use my own vehicle) which means quick start up quick take off (well as quick as a H2 can take off) and then running down the road at speed and driving it a bit hard til I get to the destination, which usually then is a quick shut down and a run into the house.....

So here is the weird help thing.
I get done.... I dont remember seeing any coolant leaking after the runs, but then again I didnt look. The next day.... casual day to take my daughter to school. pull back into my house.... leaking quite a bit from the passengers side. Almost a drip a second. The resevoir which I filled 2 days earlier is half or better gone.
Ok, so me and my friend look through it this weekend short of pulling everything apart (we did remove the skid plate). Couldnt really see anything other than everything was covered in dex-cool. Ok we ran it for a while. i brought it up to 3k and kept it up there for a few minutes and no dripping. the temp gauge is showing 190ish (no over heating). No lights no warnings. He cant see a drip. So we kill it and of course now we see the resevoir has gone up quite a bit. So we figure the system pressurized and it over flowed. Ok so I figure it had to just be an overflow so today I drive it over to the local post office. About a 15 minute drive in stop and go traffic. I get out and I dont see anything. I got to walmart and still nothing, but I come back and I see a leak.... this time it isnt on the passengers side but instead on the drivers side. HUH?? Same size same one drip per second. So I cant figure out what is going on. Of course I know I need to get in and see more clearly, but any idea? I mean a leak that switches sides? Anyone have any ideas since of course the platform the radiator sits on blocks the view and such

Thanks
Old 09-15-2015, 11:25 AM
Hummer Authority

Easy Ed is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help! Leaking coolant

Just a quick before the coffee thought. Check around the water pump. Mine had a gasket that went bad and because the pump is aluminum it expands and contracts at a different rate than the engine block the gasket will move letting fluid leak.

Good luck, Ed

P.S. Post on the water pump. http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=43043

Last edited by Easy Ed : 01-27-2021 at 03:01 AM.
Old 09-15-2015, 01:52 PM

Ed,
thanks for the response

when your leaked... was it leaking from under the engine or under the front of the skid plate?

I have a under the front of the skid plate leak that likes to move around from side to side.

I am haunted by the damn Hummer Gremlins
Old 09-15-2015, 04:27 PM

Ok, the newest piece to the puzzle so far is it seems I can drive around all day long without any sign of leaking .... as long as I dont shut the truck off ... as long as the system is running basically the truck doesnt leak.

As soon as I shut her down, then I get that drip drip drip going on
Again still no lights on the dash, still no temp on the gauges over 190-200ish, given I still havent had a chance to spray down the underneath from the overflow from the other day (but come on, its been almost 5 days now and theres been 1 good rain storm and alot of 95+ days too - it shouldnt be dripping this bad from that over flow)

Any ideas?
Old 09-15-2015, 10:26 PM
Hummer Authority

Easy Ed is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine ran down the passenger side of the motor and ended up on the skid plate. Wasn't a lot but that could of been cause I may have caught early.

Borrowed a picture off the internet to mark in red where mine ran down the engine. I think I had to use a small mirror and flashlight to look around to find where it was coming from. Was not easy to find.

Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbihn
Ed,
thanks for the response

when your leaked... was it leaking from under the engine or under the front of the skid plate?

I have a under the front of the skid plate leak that likes to move around from side to side.

I am haunted by the damn Hummer Gremlins

Last edited by Easy Ed : 01-27-2021 at 03:01 AM.