H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 03-11-2004, 05:22 PM
Hummer Professional

H2_SUT_SC is off the scale

Who here has a SC on their H2 and what were your dyno #'s.

It sounds like Whipple may have the most experience with them so far.

I plan on throwing one on my SUT as soon as I get it and would like to know what option would be the best.

Also has anyone used Xtreme Motorsports? I see they have a custom muffler and other parts. I e-mailed them w/ no response.
Hummer Professional

I plan on throwing one on my SUT as soon as I get it and would like to know what option would be the best.

Also has anyone used Xtreme Motorsports? I see they have a custom muffler and other parts. I e-mailed them w/ no response.
Hummer Professional

Old 03-11-2004, 05:58 PM

CRUZMISL is off the scale

That's a good question. Definitely a whipple or Magnuson is the way to go. Anyway, the most power will be had with the Mag but it is also intercooled so that's not a fair comparison. The Mag also uses new injectors/reprogrammed ecm to match fuel flow whereas the whipple uses piggy back ecm and injectors to get the job done. Problem is the intake was never designed to have fuel flow through it so it's not the best plan. The Mag also offers a warranty on all driveline components and the whipple only on the charger itself.

THe whipple is cheaper, easier to install and quieter though. The whipple coupled with the properly sized injectors and custom ecm program is quite a package but I am having a tough time deciding myself. While the added cost of the Mag is a deterrent the extended warranty is not. Dynotech Engineering and Lingenfelter are less than 3 hours from me. DTE uses the Whipple and Ling uses the Mag. Ling is about $1500 more.....

If I get one I'm getting a personalized plate
BLOWN H2

Joe
Old 03-11-2004, 06:18 PM
Hummer Guru

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

Check out the Kenne Bell too:

www.kennebell.net

Welcome to the "Waiting for the SUT Club"!
Old 03-11-2004, 06:45 PM
Hummer Professional

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CRUZMISL:
That's a good question. Definitely a whipple or Magnuson is the way to go. Anyway, the most power will be had with the Mag but it is also intercooled so that's not a fair comparison. The Mag also uses new injectors/reprogrammed ecm to match fuel flow whereas the whipple uses piggy back ecm and injectors to get the job done. Problem is the intake was never designed to have fuel flow through it so it's not the best plan. The Mag also offers a warranty on all driveline components and the whipple only on the charger itself.

THe whipple is cheaper, easier to install and quieter though. The whipple coupled with the properly sized injectors and custom ecm program is quite a package but I am having a tough time deciding myself. While the added cost of the Mag is a deterrent the extended warranty is not. Dynotech Engineering and Lingenfelter are less than 3 hours from me. DTE uses the Whipple and Ling uses the Mag. Ling is about $1500 more.....

If I get one I'm getting a personalized plate
BLOWN H2

Joe <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I just saw the DTE site for the first time. Pretty sweet especially the 6.8L Brute 409. That's actually a cheap price at $15k to get 557HP. www.terminator427.com charges like $25k for the same thing. I'd be tempted to do this.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:44 PM
Hummer Professional

Well...I got my answer. Called my local H2 dealer and they now install SC's. They said they were doing Whipples but were having too many problems and have since switched to Magnusson so that's the way I'm going.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:11 PM

THe problems with the Whipple's is that they use the piggy back ecm and injector's. The supercharger itself is very reliable. Also please remember that the dealers get the Mag's through their network which in turn means more profit for them. It's nit like it really matters because it's not a poor choice.
Joe
Old 03-11-2004, 08:19 PM
Hummer Professional

Very true. I was just glad they said they were carrying Magna after reading your post. Plus now it's under warranty and such. They said it was $8k for the polished Magna, Corsa exhaust and AirRaid intake - installed. I figure that's not that bad.

What HP est would that be? 450-475?
Old 03-11-2004, 10:40 PM
Hummer Expert

HGW is off the scale

Good choice. The MC runs on 5-6 pounds of boost and is a good chouce for every day driving--the others produce the Horse Power but are really hard to keep tuned. Please let me know ho much your dealer is charging---I am doing mine myself---in my shop now.

PS---If you get the polished one--about $700 more, the blower is polished but the manifold is not. Mag produced the first 1000 with polished manifolds, so there are a lot of pics on the net showing a fully polished unit. Spoke at length with a VP of MC'c at the SEMA show last November.
Old 03-11-2004, 11:08 PM

I'd venture to say you'd make 475 or so give or take 10 but that's not what you'll have the the wheels. The drivelines of these trucks are so power hungry you'll be lucky to manage 350 at the wheels. While this doesn't sound too exciting you also have to realize these things dyno at about 220HP stock......that's a sad number.

In all honesty though, I'd probably choose somewhere other than the dealer to get it put on. What you really need is someone that can dyno tune your pcm rather than flash a generic program. This will yield the highest HP with the least trouble with detonation and knock retard. Every motor is different even though they all use the same parts. JMHO.

Let us know how you make out.

JOe

PS. The tranny is supposed to be the big weak link in this whole equation. I don't know if there is any truth to that though.
Old 03-11-2004, 11:58 PM
Hummer Expert

HGW is off the scale

True on the tranny. I spoke to the guys at LPE---I would suggest at least a new torqe converter. I like the Wang, so does LPE.
Old 03-12-2004, 01:46 AM

My wife likes the Wang....I don't

Ling suggests upgrading the trans, Dynotech doesn't. DTE does suggest adding a shift kit and said everything should be fine. For me I'd add the shift kit and wait until it blows up

Joe
Old 03-12-2004, 02:22 AM
Hummer Expert

HGW is off the scale

The converter is actually a Yank, not a Wang--and is for better power tranfer, you now you can Yank your Wang.

You asked for opinions.

LPE knows their stuff---they have proven so all over the country.
Old 03-12-2004, 02:31 AM

Oh Yank. I had a Yank 3500 stall in my Vette. It was good but had an annoying vibration at about 2000rpm. No doubt Lingenfelter is one of the best though. Actually the guy that owns DTE was Lingenfelter's engine builder for years before he went out on his own to build CART engines or something then he opened up his own place. I bet the resale would be better with Lingenfelter's name behind the install. What do you think?
Joe
Old 03-12-2004, 03:28 PM
Hummer Professional

If I lived anywhere close to IN or they had an LPE shop in Northern Cali I'd pay the $3k for the HD tranny upgrade. I figure once I blow it I'm going to have it trucked down there and have him swap it with the HD one.

Excuse my ignorance but what exactly will a shift kit or torque convertor do? I thought the CPU reprogram would change the shift limits.

Would any of those two options assist with getting additional HP to the ground??
Old 03-12-2004, 03:42 PM
Hummer Professional

It\'s a Dry Heat is off the scale

have been collecting SC stuff as links. don't know how to get your email address.
Old 03-12-2004, 03:53 PM
Hummer Professional

H2 Bill is an unknown quantity at this point

H2_SUT_SC, I have the Whipple. Mine was one of the first of the Whipple installs and had to opt for the custom tuning. I have had the supercharger for over a year and a half with only one problem (had to replace the piggy back computer ) and it runs extremely strong. I don't have any dyno figures because no one around here has a 4wd dyno. Shawn at LAPD now has one but he is quite a distance for me to go. As far as the tranny goes, I, too, am driving it until it blows then I will go to the HD. If you go to a high stall torque converter you will definitely increase the stress on the drivetrain. I didn't do this for racing but for increased performance on what I feel is an underpowered vehicle.
1970 Trans Am balanced, blueprinted, ceramic headers, etc.
Old 03-12-2004, 04:10 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Here is a pic of mine. It is LPE's install. Engine HP came in between 530-540 hp. The range is used because it was done on a chassis dyno and an estimate of driveline lose was used. I will have the exact dyno numbers soon as they were mailed a couple of days ago.

I have a 2800 Yank converter, cam pistons, ported heads, the works. My truck dynoed at a higher HP than the one tested by Motor Trend that ran 14.4 sec 1/4 times.

I have been running 9 lbs of boost. It will leave four black marks on the pavement.

I must warn you that it does create quite a racket when you mash the throttle. You cannot hear cell phone conversations.

If you have any questions I will be glad to help. My salesman's name at LPE is Tim. You can also speak to Ed. They both know me and are very friendly and helpful. Further, when I had some issues they sent a truck to pick it up, fixed it and shipped it back to me. All under warranty. The dealer even covered all recent repairs under warranty and said it was the best install they had ever seen.
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2004, 04:11 PM
Hummer Professional

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by It's a Dry Heat:
have been collecting SC stuff as links. don't know how to get your email address. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

mshetley@excite.com

I'd appreciate any links.

H2 Bill - If LAPD is in LA then I may have to pay him a visit as that is just a few hours south of me.

Also, can someone explain how exactly the torque convertor works and why it'd put extra stress on the driveline. I know nothing. LOL

Is this one of the larger H2 discussion forums? I posted on automotive forums and got 0 responses.

I'm a mod on a few other bodybuilding sites and I'm used to them flying.