H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 01-08-2006, 12:56 PM
Hummer Veteran

sltbluh3 is off the scale

Yes I know this 1 has been asked before, but has any one installed the husky mud flaps and if so how do the look? Does the Husky give more coverage ?
Old 01-08-2006, 12:56 PM
Hummer Veteran

Yes I know this 1 has been asked before, but has any one installed the husky mud flaps and if so how do the look? Does the Husky give more coverage ?
Old 01-08-2006, 02:37 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Something I would like to know myself, especially from those in the snow county.
I can say this about the GM front mud flaps, they really don't give good coverage. In city, snowy conditions...note slush...they fail miserably.
The front of my rear fender flare gets packed with about an inch of black snow/salt/etc., and looks like a large pile of s**t hanging from the vehicle.
It appears to me from the online photos, the husky flap may hang lower, and possibly extend out about 3/4 of an inch; if so, this might help to prevent this pile of s**t from piling up on the front of the rear fender flare.
I guess the only way we could really tell is if someone has already driven under these conditions in a city with lots of snow, then replaced the GM flaps with the Husky flaps. This is something I might end up doing anyway, but the price of those Husky flaps ($69.00 front only) seems to be considerable.
Old 01-08-2006, 02:51 PM
Hummer Veteran

Well the price I found on the Husky's came in at $29.00 for the front and $29.00 for the rear then $17 shiping
http://www.suvxccessory.com/xccessory/2006-hummer-h3-ex...ries-mud-guards.html
I do agree they look bigger. ths installation info also states they can be painted.
Old 01-08-2006, 03:10 PM
Hummer Guru

Well, I'll be the lab rat on this experiment. I have just ordered a set of front Husky mud flaps from ebay for a total of $34.95, which includes shipping. Seller has a great reputation, and if they don't appear to be any better, prior to install, I can return them, and all I lost was shipping fees.
From my non-scientific analysis, all that is required is a mud flap to be about 2 inches longer, and 1/2-1 inch wider on the outside edge, to reduce this slush buildup considerably.
Old 01-08-2006, 03:35 PM
Hummer Expert

DarthKarl is off the scale

I'm in the same spot. I've got a set of uninstalled Hummer flaps (both front and rear) and I just got a set of Husky front flaps the other day ($26.00 w/shipping).

I'm planning on installing the Husky's today. Just from eye-balling the Hummer and Husky front flaps, it looks like the Husky's are a little bigger and should give some additional protection.
Old 01-08-2006, 07:01 PM
Hummer Professional

ETD is an unknown quantity at this point

As previously commented, I installed the Husky's in front a couple of weeks ago. Looks good (see the off-road Pics "Christmas Eve with a G-wagon") and also ~$29 for the pair. Don't have snow out here yet but it sure keeps the gravels from the back flares as I'm spinning up these hills. I got no complaints about 'em.
H3Bas'r: Ready-Lift Levelled Superior Blue (debadged), Sun roof, Tinted, Mud mats, Wakizashi, front Husky flaps, Manik rocker bars, UCS, Tom Tom GPS for Treo, SuperSwampers Radial TSL, Rear Eaton Locker, PCMforless'd... but, alas, not waterproofed
Old 01-08-2006, 07:06 PM
Hummer Expert

Well the Husky front flaps are installed. They are a good fit and it's a very easy install (three drill holes per side). Took about 10-15 mins total. And it looks like they'll be a snap to remove when I hit the rocks.

Both flaps appear to cover most, if not all, of the front wheels. We are going to have a little snow tonight, so the real test will be in the morning on the way to work. I'll let you know how much muck they keep off the fenders and the sides of the H3.
Old 01-08-2006, 09:53 PM
Hummer Guru

I sure hope those Husky front flaps work better than my rear. My neighbor actually said to me a few weeks ago, after a heavy snow fall, and a long ride, that the substance (at least 1 inch thick, running the entire length from top of the rear fender flare to the bottom) looked like an elephant had sneezed on my rear fender flare.
Old 01-09-2006, 01:46 AM

UNOMYFLO is off the scale

Has anyone else looked inside the back door recessed area?

The ammount of shi* that getis in there is horrible.

A small length of door rubber bulb seal seal would fix it, when I find some I am going to put 1 strip in per rear door. It doesnt enveade the interior but it could be stopped earlier then having to hit the bulb seal inside the rear doors.....

should be a simple fix. we dont get snow here where I am in GA but F5Fstop what does the snow do in you H3 in this area?

M
Old 01-09-2006, 09:09 AM
Hummer Guru

I have the same problem, between the outer door opening and the D-ring seal, it gets dirtier than he**, but as you, nothing gets inside.
As for the crap on the front of my rear fender flare, it gets really nasty on snowy days. From the top of the flare to the bottom, I get this snow/salt/sh** slush from the roads and it builds up on cold days to almost an inch thick. It melts when it gets warmer, but it looks really bad.
I have noticed it is common on all H3s in this area, and sure it happens anywhere there is this type of slush in the winter.
If you look at the GM mud flaps, the do not hang down that far, and also, the outer 1 inch of tire tread is not covered.
I'm hoping the Husky is wider, and about two inches longer, it sure appears that way in the photos online.
I'll take photos of both, but not sure if I'll be able to get a shot of the slush, since it is supposed to be in the 40s this week.
Old 01-09-2006, 01:13 PM
Hummer Expert

After having driven through a little road snow and slush on the way to work this morning with the new Husky front flaps on, the preliminary results are in. Splash to the side panels seems to be pretty much eliminated. I didn’t see the muck flying off the tires and past my side windows like I have in the past.

But its not such good news with the fenders. They still are getting hit with some slush. It’s better than before, but not prefect. I’d guess that the amount of crud hitting the fenders is reduced by maybe half or a bit more.

As far as size goes, it looks like the front Husky flaps are about 1/2 to 3/4" wider and maybe an inch longer. I haven’t installed the any rear flaps yet (either OEM or Husky), I’m not convinced that there is much utility to having the rear ones on.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:34 PM
Hummer Guru

I'll have mine in a few days, but so far, no snow on the horizon, which is good. However, I'm sure there will be some not far in the future.
I'm considering adding another removable flap to the husky flap once installed.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:51 PM
Hummer Veteran

Hey thanks for the good info. I'm going to order the husky flaps. here in north carolina we dont get much snow but their is construction every where so red mud all over the truck from the rear fenders both front and back doors. I was thinking about adding a 1/4" thickk by 4" x X w to add more protection on the front. I do like the amount of water that is thrown off the back end though, it keeps those @$$ holes off the bumber during Morning rush and crash hour.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:57 AM
Hummer Expert

Mike E is off the scale

Just ordered mine. $35 is cheap to protect the sides of the vehicle. Chicago can be brutal in the winter. I think they dump more salt on the roads around here than anywhere in the country. Well, it just seems that way. Let me tell you, after a commute on these expressways in a snowstorm, it looks like 10 elephants sneezed on it!
Old 01-10-2006, 11:06 AM
Hummer Professional

Mark805 is off the scale

i wanna see some pictures!

I bet F5f has the old Yosemete Sam "Back Off" flaps

Dear GM: PLEASE SELL ME AN HX
Old 01-10-2006, 12:48 PM
Hummer Expert

Mike E is off the scale

I'll be happy to post some pics as soon as I get them installed.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:16 AM
Hummer Expert

Here are some photos of my Husky flaps
(1)
Attached Images

Old 01-11-2006, 12:17 AM
Hummer Expert

Here are some photos of my Husky flaps
(2)
Attached Images