H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 03-20-2009, 08:38 PM
Hummer Expert

Badace is on a distinguished road
Default Is the 6.2 a better engine than a 6.0

I am not talking power wise. I am looking at an 08 or 07. I used to have a 5.7 in my z71 Tahoe and now we have a Z71 Suburb with a 5.3. THe 5.3 is a great engine while the 5.7 was not. You could feel it was not as strong at 70 k miles and the 5.3 is as strong as the day we bought it with 94k miles. (I also have a z71 with a 5.3 silverado with 140k miles and it runs strong.) No problems out of the 5.3.

If the 6.0 is a strong engine, I will go 07. But I have a feeling the 6.2 is going to be the better one.

Any thoughts?
Old 03-21-2009, 04:10 PM
Hummer Veteran

o2man98 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Is the 6.2 a better engine than a 6.0

The 6.0 is tried and true. It is essentially the same engine as your 5.3 with larger bore. In all fairness the 6.2 is also based on similar architecture.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:58 PM
Hummer Expert

That's what I want to hear. I am thinking of this rig but it has to be about as "look at me" as you can get. Still thinking 08 though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-...1%7C240%3A1318
Old 03-21-2009, 10:49 PM
Hummer Veteran

TGCOFTN is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: Is the 6.2 a better engine than a 6.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badace
I am not talking power wise. I am looking at an 08 or 07. I used to have a 5.7 in my z71 Tahoe and now we have a Z71 Suburb with a 5.3. THe 5.3 is a great engine while the 5.7 was not. You could feel it was not as strong at 70 k miles and the 5.3 is as strong as the day we bought it with 94k miles. (I also have a z71 with a 5.3 silverado with 140k miles and it runs strong.) No problems out of the 5.3.

If the 6.0 is a strong engine, I will go 07. But I have a feeling the 6.2 is going to be the better one.

Any thoughts?

If I were you, I would """DEF""" going with a 2007 H2.

I have a 2007 H2 and I have a 2008 H2. From my personal experience, I like the 2007 better.
The 6.0 Liter is a "Tried & True" engine, you CANT go wrong with it.

While the 6.2 Liter is def. the engine I would choose if I were going to "race" but thats the thing, I dont drive my Hummers hard. Its not worth getting a speeding ticket, or having a accident, or killing someone. For everyday driving, the 6.0 Liter does great.

My personal experience, everyday normal stop and go driving, the 6.0 Liter feels stronger (more low end torque). The 6.2 Liter feels WEAK below 2,000RPMS.......once you get it past 2,000rpms its a lightning bolt. For me, everyday driving is getting up to 1800--1900rpms and it will shift to the next gear. I am not running 4,000---5,000rpms all the time.

As far as quality, and being built, the 07 would win my vote. My 08 only has 8,900 miles and it already has some rattles in it, where as my 07 has 29,000 miles on it, and it dont rattle at all.

All in all...........they are BOTH very good, and I love a Hummer, and I would highly recommend them to anyone. They are one awesome vehicle. They are great for every day driving, and they are great for over the road on load trips. You wont hear me say anything bad about a Hummer. I am def. a 100% Hummer fan.

As I mentioned up above, I own both, and I would def. choose and I would recommend the 6.0 Liter over the 6.2 Liter.
One thing that has REALLY taken me a long time to get use too is the 6.2 liter with the 6 speed downshifts a lot more, its almost like its scared of a hill. When it sees a hill, its already downshifting. I thought it was something wrong with mine, I took it to the dealer and borrowed another 08 H2 and let a family member drive my Hummer, and I drove the one from the dealer. I had a family member on the phone the whole time, and we drove them back to back along different roads, interstates at the same speed, and they was BOTH downshifting at the same time. So now I feel better knowing nothing is wrong with mine, but I just wished it had more low end torque to keep from downshifting so much.

My vote would def. be the 6.0 Liter V8. This is a tried and true engine. I have 29,000 miles on mine, and it still strong as day one. I know some companies who are running the 6.0 Liter in company vehicles (that get driven HARD by employees) and they have over 200,000 miles on them.

Last edited by TGCOFTN : 03-21-2009 at 10:55 PM.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:46 PM
Hummer Novice

6.2 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Is the 6.2 a better engine than a 6.0

I would say go with the 08. I just got an 09 and LOVE it!! I never drove one with the 6.0 but the 6.2 is a great engine. I had the same engine and tranny combo in my 07 Sierra Denali and it feels so much better in the H2 than it did in the pickup. I had the shifting issues in my Denali but I don't have them in my H2. I also like the interior of the 08-09s much better than the previous models. Either way you really can't go wrong though.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:14 AM
Hummer Veteran

CUZICAN is off the scale

The 07 shown is a lifted Hummer, would you also be looking at getting a lift on the 08? If so you might want to ask the question about how the 6 speed tranny has been handling a 6inch lift with larger tires. I'm not sure that this has been really tested enough to give you a good answer.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:17 AM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badace
That's what I want to hear. I am thinking of this rig but it has to be about as "look at me" as you can get. Still thinking 08 though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-...1%7C240%3A1318

ONLY 14,000 miles........this thing is like new. My 07 is Yellow and I purchased it brand new, sticker price was $76K. If you can get this one, your getting a deal on it, because if you go and buy the lift kit, tires, wheels, etc. your talking several thousand dollars.

One thing I forgot to mention..........from experience, due to me having 2 Hummers, one with the 6.0 and the other with the 6.2
On the 6.0 Liter, my opinion, its more refined, quiet, and idles SMOOTH AS GLASS.........now with the 6.2 Liter, its more noisy, and it DONT idle smooth at all.

I would say its really a personal perference, some will say the 6.2 while me and some others would say the 6.0
Its best to go with what you feel is your choice considering your the one going to be paying for it. You had said earlier you had a 5.3 liter and it was a great engine.........just think of the 6 liter being even better.

I will hush up on this topic.......but the one on ebay your looking at, thats the one I would go for if I were you.

2007 Hummer H2
2008 Hummer H2
Old 03-22-2009, 05:57 PM
Hummer Expert

I have a LE Yellow Z71 (Not the bright but the orangish yellow like Dewalt trucks) and you can see tit from the gate coming out of the Cowboys stadium barely looking for it. I am not sure about the color.

I agree, Sounds like one hell of a deal. I just need to buy the full rear seat.

As far as lifting it, I will lift whatever I buy. 38"-40" tires. This is my rig.

I am 37 and drive like granma. I am not real interested in speed as much as taking my ATV's to the deer lease.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:37 PM
Hummer Expert

See tit? Boy I may have to keep it then but I can not find where to see the tit. What I meant was see it.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:01 PM
Hummer Veteran

KANE is on a distinguished road

I have an 07 Yukon Denali w/the 6.2 (403HP).......I absolutley love the power! I do tend to drive on the throttle alot...not trying to spin tires...just like to feel some revs. My 05 H2 (325HP)feels good, and the torque is better than the 6.2, just as mentioned above, but still in need of more power. I would love to drive the 6.2 in the Hummer....I think it would rock! If your not into trying to make more power though bolt on performance, I would recommend the 08.

Good luck and there really isn't a bad choice if it's an H2!!!
Old 03-24-2009, 05:22 AM
Hummer Authority

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ is off the scale

6.0 is the way to go hands down. Have been constantly upgrading power add ons and even spoke with Hummer engineer about the fact I was trying to see how much power I can get out of a stock 6.0 and he constantly spoke of strength of engine. He said at some point top end changes needed just to push through more air and fuel but, said without hesitating to say do not worry about bottom end it will do it's job.

Now anyone in performance will tell you everything has it's limits even bottom end of 6.0 but, guy was just telling me not to worry for a good while.
This motor has been tried and true for a long long time by the commercial industrial world. It has not had many complaints. I have the 5.3 in my 99 Silverado with 200,000 miles and it has been tuned up performance stuff but, driven like a horse rode hard and put up wet. It runs around 300 to 325 HP at the wheels based on GT TECH PRO and have hard time just leaving stop signs without breaking the tires loose not trying. In a 5000 mile between oil change with Penn 10W30 it will use 1/2 quart maybe. Still drive it everyday and like it with no plans to let it go. It still blows friends minds when they feel it put them back in seat.

What can I say I'm a huge fan of 6.0 and 5.3.

TAZ
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Old 03-25-2009, 02:06 AM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
6.0 is the way to go hands down. Have been constantly upgrading power add ons and even spoke with Hummer engineer about the fact I was trying to see how much power I can get out of a stock 6.0 and he constantly spoke of strength of engine. He said at some point top end changes needed just to push through more air and fuel but, said without hesitating to say do not worry about bottom end it will do it's job.

Now anyone in performance will tell you everything has it's limits even bottom end of 6.0 but, guy was just telling me not to worry for a good while.
This motor has been tried and true for a long long time by the commercial industrial world. It has not had many complaints. I have the 5.3 in my 99 Silverado with 200,000 miles and it has been tuned up performance stuff but, driven like a horse rode hard and put up wet. It runs around 300 to 325 HP at the wheels based on GT TECH PRO and have hard time just leaving stop signs without breaking the tires loose not trying. In a 5000 mile between oil change with Penn 10W30 it will use 1/2 quart maybe. Still drive it everyday and like it with no plans to let it go. It still blows friends minds when they feel it put them back in seat.

What can I say I'm a huge fan of 6.0 and 5.3.

TAZ

Well Said Taz (HummerCustoms)

Nice to know I am not the only huge fan of the 6.0 Liter V8. You are exactly right on this engine has been tried hard with the commerical industry, for example, Penske Truck Rental (all there small GMC 3500 Series Moving Trucks have this engine and you know how rental customers are on vehicles, NOT easy)

I know if the 2008 H2's had the 6.0 Liter in it, and having the 6.2 Liter as a "option" I would of gotten the 6.0 Liter.

I am VERY curious on which engine Badance actually got, or considering purchasing?

2007 Hummer H2
2008 Hummer H2
Old 03-27-2009, 06:03 AM
Hummer Expert

I just can not go Yellow. No offense to people with Yellow, but I have been in a Yellow Z-71 for a while and need a change. I am going to watch ebay and autotrader, car.com and other outlets for a lifted 07 or 08 and just find the rig I am happy with. Since all of the great things said about the 6.0, I am not as concerned as I was. The 5.7 (IMO) is just crap. I did not want that to be the same with the 6.0 vs 6.2. If I go 07, I will have to put a full rear seat in it. I do like the 07 LE's a lot.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:12 PM
Hummer Authority

mikejr is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally I like the 6.2 with the six speed in the 08 better than the 6.0 in the 06 that I had.

One thing to note though....the 6.2 likes hi test fuel. Mine didnt run for crap on regular. it idled rough and it always felt that it was in one gear to high when you would accellerate. Put in the hi test fuel and it runs like a scared rabbit!

2008 H2 Lux Series, Slate Blue, everything but the air suspension - sold

2006 H2 Lux Series, Uplevel Chrome, DVD's, Slate Blue, Sun Roof - sold

"If Life Gives You Limes, Make Margaritas" - Jimmy Buffett
Old 03-29-2009, 03:10 AM
Hummer Authority

HummerJim is an unknown quantity at this point

I think they are both GREAT engines. You don't see many threads about engine problems with the H2 and I saw an '03 H2 at an offroad event with 115,000 miles and the owner said the only problems he had were with the ignition switch and the front windshield leaking (but I doubt it was the original). Most of the H2 threads are about electronics. I can attest the 6.2 runs much better on premium than on regular.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:37 PM
Hummer Professional

H2R is on a distinguished road

6.0 is a great engine with a SC but if its power you desire then install the Corvette Engine and SC it.!
1974 Corvette conv. (454ci)
31ft Gulf Craft Boat
Old 03-29-2009, 11:29 PM
Hummer Expert

Intercooled is off the scale

I have an 06 with 6.0 engine and an 04 Chevy Express work van with the same engine. The Chevy has 93,000 and hasnt had any engine trouble.