H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 12-18-2005, 01:36 PM
Hummer Veteran

cmeinck is off the scale

I'm hoping someone here might be able to offer some insight on what might be causing my problem. I have 1600 miles and I've had to use roadside assistance 3 times. About 5-6 weeks ago, I noticed that the inside light on my H3 was not going off. The problem went away before I had a chance to bring it in. I figured everything was ok. About 1-2 weeks later, I go out to my H3 and it's completely dead - the alarm didn't even work. Anyway, I called Roadside Assistance and they jumped the truck. I left it started for about 1/2 hour and called the dealer. He said if it happened again, to bring it in. A few weeks later, after the car sat for 2 days or so, the same thing happened. I called the dealer and they suggested having it towed, so they could diagnose the problem. They checked it and then put it on some machine overnight to see if the computer was drawing more than it should overnight. They didn't notice anything out of the ordinary and replaced the battery. Last night, about 1.5 weeks after bringing it in, I went out and the same thing happened. Totally dead H3. Roadside assistance is coming in an hour to jump it.

The only thing I've done to the H3 was to have the iPod hooked up through the stereo. I take my iPod in every night, so it wasn't hooked up when the problem occured. I contacted the car stereo installer and they said it would have to sit for a month with the iPod drawing for it to cause the battery to completely draw down.

I'm concerned because this is a reoccuring problem and it doesn't seem like the dealer knows what's causing the problem.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'll be calling the dealership first thing tomorrow morning.

Thanks in advance.
Black H3 | Lux package | Ebony | Aluminum Crossbows | Chrome Pack | Chrome Tube Steps | Sunroof | Billet Hood Handles | Billet Gas Cap | Rubber Mudder Mats | Mud Flaps | Chrome Mesh Lower Grille Insert | Stainless HUMMER letters | HUMMER Grille Letters | Roof Racks | Roof Marker Lamps | Chrome Door Sills
Old 12-18-2005, 01:47 PM
Hummer Guru

NEOCON1 is an unknown quantity at this point

buy a jeep
* Rollin with the Banned and the Damned *

"Fred Thompson for President "
Old 12-18-2005, 01:50 PM

Highlander is off the scale

I think you already have the answer to your own problem. Send it back and keep sending it back until the problem is fixed. Its under warranty and thats why you have a warranty. The dealership should give you a loaner H3 while yours is being fixed.Hopefully you dont live to far fom the dealership. The point im trying to make is that its their problem so let them fix it.I wouldnt be busting my ass trying to figure it out when they have trained, certified technicians to do it. Good luck to you and im sure they will get this worked out for you.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:01 PM
Hummer Veteran

cmeinck is off the scale

Is there any chance that my iPod hookup would be causing the problem? I just want to be sure it's nothing I've done.

...and no, I don't want a f***in' JEEP.
Black H3 | Lux package | Ebony | Aluminum Crossbows | Chrome Pack | Chrome Tube Steps | Sunroof | Billet Hood Handles | Billet Gas Cap | Rubber Mudder Mats | Mud Flaps | Chrome Mesh Lower Grille Insert | Stainless HUMMER letters | HUMMER Grille Letters | Roof Racks | Roof Marker Lamps | Chrome Door Sills
Old 12-18-2005, 02:23 PM
Hummer Veteran

cmeinck is off the scale

Alec...thanks for your help.

Luckily, it's been in the driveway each time it's happened. The dealer is only 10 minutes away, so I might just drop by tomorrow rather than calling to see if they can fit me in. We have a second car (almost traded it in), so no worries. I'd much rather cruise to the hockey game in the H3 than my old Ford Escape.

I'll keep everyone updated.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:23 PM
Hummer Veteran

cmeinck is off the scale

FWIW, I've been impressed with Roadside Assistance. Very friendly and fast service.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:44 PM

Pukematrixx is off the scale

Is there a specific number for Roadside or are you supposed to use the onstar thing? I probably should've figured this out at the dealer but I was in a rush.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:47 PM
Hummer Veteran

cmeinck is off the scale

1-866-HUMMER6
Old 12-18-2005, 03:14 PM

Edspad is off the scale

Dbl. check all dome/glove box lights make sure you don’t have them on, I had a dome bulb that had pretty much burned itself down to a very faint glimmer, and it took a month to find that problem. I found it by shutting the garage door and a faint glimmer shown through.
Ground faults and such are hard to find on complex automotive systems,but it can be done. Just make sure its not something simple that you can handle or something you added into the system.

Old 12-18-2005, 11:28 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

We had several H2s that had the same deal and it was diagnosed as a "module waking up." Some of the electronic modules for the seats or air suspension (on the H2) and such would not shut down after the ignition was shut off or they would "magically" come alive while the vehicle was off. It would draw the battery down and leave no trace.

Maybe a tech knows more about it as I can't remember exactly how they diagnosed this but I think it ate two of my batteries.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:47 PM
Hummer Professional

Hummertech is off the scale

I'll just give you this warning in advnace. 80% of the time when we get a complaint like this, it turns out to be something aftermarket that was installed.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:31 PM
Hummer Veteran

DWPC is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by cmeinck:
Is there any chance that my iPod hookup would be causing the problem? I just want to be sure it's nothing I've done.

I think there's a huge chance the Ipod hook-up is your problem. Did the problem ever occur before the install?. Aftermarket installations, especially, electronics, are the curse of warranty service. Most indie "installers" are from the "It ain't smoking so it must the right wire" school.

The day's coming when mfrs are going to simply void the whole warranty if the elec system has been modified in any way.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:12 PM
Hummer Veteran

psywzrd is off the scale

I believe there was bulletin about a problem with the dome light staying on. I can't remember exactly what the problem was but I'm pretty sure the light would come on when I stopped and then turn off as I accelerated. It was very weird but the dealership was definitely aware of the problem. Not sure if your problem is related but it's worth a look.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:19 AM
Hummer Veteran

Guppy is off the scale

I also have a 2002 Chrysler Town and Country Van on which the dealer installed a pull down DVD player. My wife and I had a simular problem with the battery going dead after siting for a few days. After a number of trips to the dealer they finally figured out that something was wired backward on the DVD unit and it was causing a power drain.

I would suggest that you have the Ipod install checked out for a possible wiring issue.
2006 Yellow H3 Adventure Package with 35" Firestone Destination MT Tires, Torsion Bar Adjustment, Trail Duty Extended Bump Stops, Chrome Trim Package, XM radio, 6 Disc Monsoon Stereo, Marker Lights, Brush Guard, Chrome Nerf Bars.
www.centexhummerclub.com
Old 12-20-2005, 02:17 AM
Hummer Expert

First Hummer is off the scale

Quote:

you said the Ipod goes inside everynight correct,so if its not hooked up how can that be the problem.doesnt always have to be the aftermarket installer.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:07 PM
Hummer Veteran

cmeinck is off the scale

I dropped off the truck today. I informed the service advisor of the iPod install. The thing is, they hooked my truck up overnight the last time I was in to see if there was any type of power drain coming from the computer. Wouldn't they have seen the iPod issue then?

Before the iPod is when I had the issue with the light not going out on the interior. This just "fixed itself".

If it does turn out to be the iPod, will they bang me for service? If so, then the stereo guy should pay. He repeatedly told me it wasn't related to his work.

Service guy said if the iPod is drawing 1/2 amp, then it could drain the battery in 3 days even if the iPod isn't connected.

To be honest, I have no clue. I'm just hoping they can diagnose the problem and I can still listen to my iPod.

I should know more this afternoon.

-Chris
Old 12-20-2005, 08:34 PM
Hummer Messiah

DennisAJC is an unknown quantity at this point

All my add ons(NAV, 2 DVDs, 3 Monitors, T.V.Tuner, Front and Back Cams, Inverters, etc.) all go through 1 Master Kill switch.

Just to be safe, I flip that off when I get home or leave it parked for a duration.

My Video Collectionez

Old 12-25-2005, 02:46 PM
Hummer Veteran

cmeinck is off the scale

Well, they didn't find anything. They suggested removing the iPod hookup. I was travelling for Christmas, so they kept the truck for the weekend. They won't touch the iPod, even though it's a simple plug in the back of the stereo. It doesn't happen every day, so I don't understand what leaving it overnight accomplishes. Perhaps, it won't start after the 4 days. If not, then I'll have to visit the Car Stereo guy and have him remove the iPod. If the car ends up dead in the driveway a week after, I'm going to be pissed off. We'll see...
Old 12-25-2005, 07:46 PM

sandy is off the scale

cmeinck my wife bought an h3 on sept 20, 2005. it has been dead 4-times as far as starting. it still had lights on dash and underneath, but the dome light wouldn't come on and it wouldn't turn over. the problem is the bcm (body computer module). the dealer said the first units that came off the line have faulty units which causes the hummer not to start. the hummer is currently at the dealers. they installed a new bcm from a new hummer off the lot because of the backorder status of this part. this was a mistake. the manufactuer says it has to be a new unit that is programmed only for the vehicle it is going into. we have a loaner car right now waiting for the hummer to be fixed. my wife really likes her new hummer, but this problem has her uneasy because she was at work the last time it happened and she had to have the vehicle towed back to the dealer.
Quote:
I'm hoping someone here might be able to offer some insight on what might be causing my problem. I have 1600 miles and I've had to use roadside assistance 3 times. About 5-6 weeks ago, I noticed that the inside light on my H3 was not going off. The problem went away before I had a chance to bring it in. I figured everything was ok. About 1-2 weeks later, I go out to my H3 and it's completely dead - the alarm didn't even work. Anyway, I called Roadside Assistance and they jumped the truck. I left it started for about 1/2 hour and called the dealer. He said if it happened again, to bring it in. A few weeks later, after the car sat for 2 days or so, the same thing happened. I called the dealer and they suggested having it towed, so they could diagnose the problem. They checked it and then put it on some machine overnight to see if the computer was drawing more than it should overnight. They didn't notice anything out of the ordinary and replaced the battery. Last night, about 1.5 weeks after bringing it in, I went out and the same thing happened. Totally dead H3. Roadside assistance is coming in an hour to jump it.

The only thing I've done to the H3 was to have the iPod hooked up through the stereo. I take my iPod in every night, so it wasn't hooked up when the problem occured. I contacted the car stereo installer and they said it would have to sit for a month with the iPod drawing for it to cause the battery to completely draw down.

I'm concerned because this is a reoccuring problem and it doesn't seem like the dealer knows what's causing the problem.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'll be calling the dealership first thing tomorrow morning.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-26-2005, 01:48 PM
Hummer Expert

First Hummer is off the scale

Sandy I went threw the similar problems with the BCM ,you can not use one from another vehicle.It has to be new to be able to program it for your truck.Waited 2 weeks for mine to be fixed.Then I found out they charged me for the rental.