H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H1 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H1

Old 05-12-2005, 02:37 AM

Balig is off the scale

Is it possible to get an active center diff for the 242 transfercase? That is one that can be electronically controlled. It can be open or locked as in the early Hummers, and partially locked by clutches, like a 246 transfercase but fulltime 4ED
Old 05-12-2005, 02:37 AM

Balig is off the scale

Is it possible to get an active center diff for the 242 transfercase? That is one that can be electronically controlled. It can be open or locked as in the early Hummers, and partially locked by clutches, like a 246 transfercase but fulltime 4ED
Old 05-13-2005, 04:14 PM

CartsXJ is off the scale

I am curious in the differences between the H1's 242 and the 242 in my jeep cherokee. But if they are the same, then yes it does have the ability to be locked up or full open (center diff) with just the pull of the level.

What I am curious about is, does the H1 242 have a fixed rear output yoke? what size and spline count does it use? Looking to see if they ever made a HD 242 mainshaft.
Old 05-13-2005, 06:30 PM
Hummer Expert

Beastmaster is off the scale

For information about differences between the NVG 242 HD AMG and the standard 242, click here:

http://www.flashoffroad.com/features...Jeep/tcase.htm

As for electronically controlling the TCase - you'd have to retrofit another TCase to do the work. The 242 is lever operated (one of the requirements of the military), and therefore isn't electronically or electrically controlled.

You could do the one out of a Duramax/Allison combo, and have a drivetrain shop do the swap and mods.

-Steve
Old 05-14-2005, 06:54 AM

Balig is off the scale

I am wondering if the 2005 grand cherokee has what I need, I think they use a NP 245 which is electronically controlled and fulltime 4WD. The pre 2004 NP 245 in the Grand cherokee has a viscous coupling that is not suitable. What drivetrain shop would have the knowledge?
Old 05-14-2005, 01:57 PM
Hummer Expert

Any good 4x4 drivetrain shop would have the knowledge. Ask around in your area. Since you don't list a city or state in your profile, it's hard to recommend one.

However, you've got the issue of handling the high torque level. Jeep guys convert away from the standard NP242 to go with a Hummer based NP242 because it can take the abuse and handle higher torque. Going backwards means more breakage, hence the reason why either staying with the stock Hummer NP242 or going to a Transfer case that can handle the same level of abuse, like one from an Allison equipped truck.

Also - what are you trying to achieve? I fail to see why going to an electrically controlled transfer case would benefit you. The H1's already a capable off road machine, what are you trying to improve on?
Old 05-16-2005, 08:57 PM

Balig is off the scale

I want the active control of the center diff for racing, off road. I can get an electronic controller that varies how much the center diff is locked, depending on steering angle, g forces, brake pressure etc, but need the active diff to control.
Any drivetrain shop with the knowledge will do, as there is a telephone, fax, internet and freight companies. I live in New Zealand.
Keith
Old 05-17-2005, 04:15 AM
Hummer Expert

Ahh. You're looking for what's known as a progressive active transfer case.

Again, it would be hard to come by. The current NPG/NVG 242 HD AMG (which is in the H1) has torque ratings that exceed what most progressive active TC's can provide.

I'm sure it can be done, but you'd have to contact one of the race teams that do the Dakar or SCORE off road races in H1's.

You might be able to adapt a Borg Warner 44-84 (That's the Transfer Case in the H2) for use. It's electrically controlled, and the Carnegie Mellon University Red Hummer Unmanned Vehicle Race Team was looking at doing that on their test M998. It should have the torque ratings to handle the engine from an H1.