H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 06-04-2006, 05:05 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Re: diesel swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastmaster
With the new rules for 2007 diesels, emissions will be even more of a factor thanks to California and Massachusetts helping "lead" the way towards eliminating diesels from the market.

Sarcasm aside, the new rules for 2007 and onward set by the federal government (and based on CARB recommendations) help prevent large scale diesel upgrades. 2006 may very well be the last year that you can get a good diesel vehicle and not be hounded to death by the rule sets.

Most vehicle manufacturers that promote diesel (VW, GM, Ford, Mercedes, Daimler Chrysler) can only sell their vehicles in about 45 states (passenger vehicles). Trucks seem to have a 50 state capability for now...until ULSD (Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel) comes through and you get a wackier situation where 2007 trucks have to literally hunt for ULSD stations.

Because of the stupid rulesets, many automakers won't take the time nor the hassle to do diesel vehicles. In Europe, where the rules are even stricter, they have good diesel vehicles and ultra low emissions. Too bad we can't follow the trend.
There are already diesels in development and soon-to-be-use that meet or exceed requirements. There are already diesels out that meet the 45 state requirements. In fact, DC is putting out a 3.0L CRD in a Grand Cherokee for the '07 model.

For the automaker, it's more of a demand issue. Diesels have never had widespread acceptance in passenger vehicles in the states, unless it was a tow vehicle.
Old 06-04-2006, 08:02 PM
Hummer Veteran

TheArchiTexan is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAGON
There are already diesels in development and soon-to-be-use that meet or exceed requirements. There are already diesels out that meet the 45 state requirements. In fact, DC is putting out a 3.0L CRD in a Grand Cherokee for the '07 model.

For the automaker, it's more of a demand issue. Diesels have never had widespread acceptance in passenger vehicles in the states, unless it was a tow vehicle.
you live in a fairy land. Do some more research. And maybe if you look hard enough on the internet (since your on here all the time) you will see why the duramax will never be in the H3. Use your head.
Old 06-04-2006, 11:50 PM
Hummer Veteran

Anti-BlInG is on a distinguished road

Someone has a stick up his butttttt.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:00 AM
Hummer Professional

Idaho-Hummer is off the scale

it's his time of the month. he been like that for the last couple of post now.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:34 AM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho-Hummer
it's his time of the month. he been like that for the last couple of post now.
sorry im just tired of him making idiotic posts that are not true. I have friends that specifically build duramaxes, so im very knowledgable about diesels
Old 06-05-2006, 01:14 AM
Hummer Veteran

Well then youre the man for this post...any more info?
Old 06-05-2006, 02:03 AM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchiTexan
sorry im just tired of him making idiotic posts that are not true. I have friends that specifically build duramaxes, so im very knowledgable about diesels
Who gives a sh!t if a punk kid that can't even afford the tankful of gas for the H3 much less the vehicle is tired of anything.

How many models of Duramax do you think there are and/or will be? Stupid kid, Duramax is an engine line name just like Vortec is on the gas side.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:21 AM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAGON
Who gives a sh!t if a punk kid that can't even afford the tankful of gas for the H3 much less the vehicle is tired of anything.

How many models of Duramax do you think there are and/or will be? Stupid kid, Duramax is an engine line name just like Vortec is on the gas side.
No ****, I guess you didn't understand my comment when i said he specifies in building them. Are you that retarded or just need glasses? wait, let me guess im lying right and youd like me to have him come in this forum and tell you as to why there will never be a smaller version of the duramax in an h3. Like I said before, do some research before you decide to chime in with your fantasy ideas.

ill give you a hint-size,power,mpg, oh yea and POWER!! yes I know they have already created smaller versions of the diesel but look as to the weight of the vehicle that they are in. If people are already complaining(like me) about the power now, do you honestly think a diesel is even a topic of discussion. NO. Get your head out of your ass and think retard.

PS- If youd like to doubt me about this, i have found a page testing vehicles around the same weigh size as the H3 with smaller versions of the diesel used today. The results are pretty horrible. And for it to be daily drivable they would seriously have to comptensate price for more modifications, which I know GM would not make a risk that high on a pretty demanding new line.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:30 AM
Hummer Veteran

hmmmm interesting. I still would like a diesel tho.
Old 06-05-2006, 04:31 AM
Banned

HIHUMMER is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-BlInG
hmmmm interesting. I still would like a diesel tho.

Back in Nov. he wanted a diesel too.
Old 06-05-2006, 04:59 AM
Hummer Guru

RIC-H0 is an unknown quantity at this point

Jeeze...Sounds like someone has got a diesel stick caught in his re-end.
It's not a bad thing to dream about having a vehicle with a specific type engine(Yes...even a diesel). If it weren't for the dreamers, we would still be using a frikin' feather to write with.
You keep on dreaming about what kinda engine you want in a vehicle, and the neighsayers will continue to dogg until it becomes a reality.

Would've though they'd be drag racing electric cars, and diesel trucks on the same race track, and giving gas powered vehicles a run for the money!

There's a difference between it can't be done, and it shouldn't be done!!!

Dream on Boy!!!
Old 06-05-2006, 05:10 AM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIC-H0
Jeeze...Sounds like someone has got a diesel stick caught in his re-end.
It's not a bad thing to dream about having a vehicle with a specific type engine(Yes...even a diesel). If it weren't for the dreamers, we would still be using a frikin' feather to write with.
You keep on dreaming about what kinda engine you want in a vehicle, and the neighsayers will continue to dogg until it becomes a reality.

Would've though they'd be drag racing electric cars, and diesel trucks on the same race track, and giving gas powered vehicles a run for the money!

There's a difference between it can't be done, and it shouldn't be done!!!

Dream on Boy!!!
Never looked at it like that and yes very well proven. Havent seen electric cars out on the track but diesels can compete just aswell as gas.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:43 AM
Hummer Veteran

cow boy is off the scale

Look at this Audi R10 turbodiesel V12 running against gassers.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Enth...47.A10169.html
Old 06-05-2006, 06:32 AM
Hummer Expert

deserth3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
i have found a page testing vehicles around the same weigh size as the H3 with smaller versions of the diesel used today

Ok show us the link.

As a rough estimate a 3.5L turbo diesel should have twice the fuel milage and more HP than a 3.5L gas engine.

Were the tests done with a turbo diesel or nonturbo?

A 3.5L diesel should have no problem pushing the H3 and I also would like to know why a smaller Duramax would not work in the H3?

What you're saying does not make much sense
Old 06-05-2006, 10:46 AM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

The global H3 WILL have a diesel for Europe/Asia/Africa; whether or not there will be a diesel in the US remains to be seen. So far, marketing has shown that the diesel is not accepted by the US public yet, for SUV use, only for work trucks or trucks hauling large heavy loads (note fifth wheels,etc.)
We all know the US public is fickle, and their acceptance of a diesel could change at the pump. They love their big rigs, but many don't like the fuel prices. Time will tell, and Chrysler and some of the other brands are testing the market with diesels, and I'm sure GM marketing is looking at their sales figures closely.
To TheArchiTexan, I know people who build design diesels into vehicle, and these might just know a bit more about these engines, and the vehicles they can go into a little more than you, or your buddies.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:56 PM
Hummer Expert

deserth3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I was wondering if anyone had thought of dropping a diesel engine in your H3. Is there one small enough out there? Let me know if you know of one.

I used to work on Diesels years ago. But I haven't kept up with them. In most big citties there's a diesel repair shop. If you're serious, stop by and have a chat with them. I've always been a fan of the cummins turbo diesel myself. Kind of like the Hummer, Jeep thing. Worst that can happen is the guy says we don't want to touch it. Or you may hear I have just the engine for you.
Just make sure it does have a turbo. A nonturbo diesel is a dog.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:57 PM
Hummer Veteran

I dont understand...if they are going to make an h3 with a small diesel...why cant it be retrofitted to meet US standards and laws...? when does this diesel h3 come out?
Old 06-05-2006, 07:32 PM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I dont understand...if they are going to make an h3 with a small diesel...why cant it be retrofitted to meet US standards and laws...? when does this diesel h3 come out?

It's not that they can't make it work, it is that there is such a low demand for it.

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights
Old 06-05-2006, 08:19 PM
Hummer Authority

Wisha Haddan H3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: diesel swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop
The global H3 WILL have a diesel for Europe/Asia/Africa; whether or not there will be a diesel in the US remains to be seen. So far, marketing has shown that the diesel is not accepted by the US public yet, for SUV use, only for work trucks or trucks hauling large heavy loads (note fifth wheels,etc.)
We all know the US public is fickle, and their acceptance of a diesel could change at the pump. They love their big rigs, but many don't like the fuel prices. Time will tell, and Chrysler and some of the other brands are testing the market with diesels, and I'm sure GM marketing is looking at their sales figures closely.
To TheArchiTexan, I know people who build design diesels into vehicle, and these might just know a bit more about these engines, and the vehicles they can go into a little more than you, or your buddies.

My thoughts exactly. I wonder what it would take to buy a diesel H3 overseas (when available) and ship it back here? People around the world are buying US H3s and shipping them home. Of course, all the displays would be metric.

Last edited by Wisha Haddan H3 : 06-05-2006 at 08:33 PM.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:19 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Could be two reasons; one, marketing; two, they might not be able to retrofit to meet the higher standards of states such as "good 'ole" Kalifornia , and then it may be marketing that steps in and says it is not worth it for only 40+ states.
Those decisions are way beyond my pay level.