H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 12-20-2002, 11:24 PM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

Hey gang,

There's been some talk about these back-up cameras, the units that mount on the rear of the vehicle and have a display so that you can see what's behind you. The popluar model mounts in your rear-hitch receiver and has a small 2" LCD display mounted inside the cab. Cost for the camera is about $300. No idea if that includes the screen?

Here's my thought: a back-up sensor (found on many Ford products) does the trick just fine. Drivers who have these back-up sensors love 'em and I think it's a great alternative. My hunch is that these things cost about $40-$80. The nice thing is that you don't have to mount some kind of monitor on the dash.

In light of the recent MAC-attack on a Mercedes.....perhaps it's time to address this issue. If it can happen to MAC, it could happen to any of us! I myself must admit that I backed-up in a parking lot and nearly ran over a little Miata: it crept up behind me and I just could not see it (you should have seen the look on the ladies face!!!).
Old 12-20-2002, 11:24 PM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

Hey gang,

There's been some talk about these back-up cameras, the units that mount on the rear of the vehicle and have a display so that you can see what's behind you. The popluar model mounts in your rear-hitch receiver and has a small 2" LCD display mounted inside the cab. Cost for the camera is about $300. No idea if that includes the screen?

Here's my thought: a back-up sensor (found on many Ford products) does the trick just fine. Drivers who have these back-up sensors love 'em and I think it's a great alternative. My hunch is that these things cost about $40-$80. The nice thing is that you don't have to mount some kind of monitor on the dash.

In light of the recent MAC-attack on a Mercedes.....perhaps it's time to address this issue. If it can happen to MAC, it could happen to any of us! I myself must admit that I backed-up in a parking lot and nearly ran over a little Miata: it crept up behind me and I just could not see it (you should have seen the look on the ladies face!!!).
Old 12-21-2002, 02:20 AM

JJ is off the scale

I saw one of the camera in the hitch installations and wondered how well it will hold up to road grime...What turned me off the most was their location of the display, just to the left of the rear view mirror - too cluttered. I think I like the back up sensor idea better.

JJ
Old 12-21-2002, 02:44 AM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

Good point, Steve. In my case, I did not even look back, I just swing around as I do every morning, forgot my sister's ML was on the side of driveway.
With a back camera, I still have to pay attention and look at the screen. In the case of a sensor, it will alert me, and I would've 1 second to step on the brake. Yes, sensor makes sense.

I wonder who does this sort of installation? what type of shops do I go buy and install a sensor?
Old 12-21-2002, 04:08 AM
Hummer Veteran

cognitive is off the scale

I'm not so worried about mashing cars but mashing kids. It's my number one fear when backing out of a parking space. I'm fairly sure a camera is in my future. I also want to take some time to plot the blind spots with chalk so that I can better understand what I can and can't see from the driver's seat.
Old 12-21-2002, 06:03 AM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

It brings up a question....you can't turn your head and look over your shoulder while backing up AND AT THE SAME TIME watch a monitor. So are we to NOT look over our shoulders and just watch a monitor as we back-up?

I'd imagine you back up as normal and then use the camera for the fine-tuning. right?

So what if a little kid comes running out behind your rig while your looking over your shoulder...you not even looking at your tiny LCD screen! BUT AN AUDIBLE alerting tone can work in conjunction/tandem while you back up!

MAC's point as incorporated: just cause you got the tiny screen doesn't mean you'll be watching it. The proximity sensor makes an automatic tone....THAT MAKES SENSE!!!

I'm afraid I don't know much about where these devices are available, and given the width of our vehicles, it would be an idea to make certain we have complete coverage. I have 3 little kids and a dog...I'm terrified of running over anything while backing up!
Old 12-21-2002, 06:27 AM

SOCAL XMER is off the scale

That would be all the more reason to back int you're driveway, the less backing the better. To me it's like driving a bus where they don't back up unless they really have to.

future H2 owner
Old 12-21-2002, 10:57 AM

KAC is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve R:
It brings up a question....you can't turn your head and look over your shoulder while backing up AND AT THE SAME TIME watch a monitor. So are we to NOT look over our shoulders and just watch a monitor as we back-up?

I'd imagine you back up as normal and then use the camera for the fine-tuning. right?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You do both. Before I start backing, I check the monitor and over my shoulder. Then, as I back, I switch between views. I haven't hit anyone or anything yet although it's only been 4 weeks.

Kim

KAC
'03 Red Adv Series
Old 12-21-2002, 12:14 PM

JCJ is off the scale

for much less than cameras, radars etc.
Works fine for me. The lens gives you a good view even over with the spare tire. And I use it "over the shoulder" and through mirror.
Has already prevented "over"looking fender-suckers as well as people (children AND adults).
But maybe this option is only for those who don't care to be Mr. Gadget. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]
Old 12-21-2002, 05:26 PM

Seth is off the scale

about backing into "something". Of course I do not want to back into another vehicle or a light post, etc... However I have heard the horror stories of people backing over kids, in some cases their own. Even mid-size cars have a significant blind spot behind them, meaning you can not see 7' to 10' feet back. With mid-size SUV's it becomes a deeper zone of, With the H2 it must be 20' or so. I will definitely put some kind of video system in my H2 for backing up. I also agree with Steve that an audio system is important in conjunction. It may seem like overkill and it may get a bit pricey but this is a place I think it is worth spending the money.

When I spoke to my dealer about a video system he told me they deal with a company that installs the monitor into the side view mirror. Meaning when you put your vehicle in reverse a portion of your mirror shows what is behind you. I like this, you look at your side view mirror anyway and when it is not in use it is not obtrusive.