H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 05-15-2003, 06:00 PM

Detonate is off the scale

Hope you get it straightened out!

-Jim March
Arlington TX
2003 Red H2
Beauty is in the eye of the Beer Holder
Old 05-15-2003, 06:52 PM
Hummer Veteran

TheGoodHummerMan is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BKLYNH2:
"Ok the winch and stuff arrived today. It was _NOT_ as described. Everything is seperate not premounted on the multimount and not with the quick connect already attached. I called GO warn as expected I got a recording. Personally I don't care about mounting it. I am concerned about removing the power leads (red in particular) and therfore messing up the seal. Can anyone tell me if this is something to be concerned about?
Anyway I apologize for posting this thread as a good deal when it apparently is not without its far share of aggrevation.
Peter-"
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry Peter, I should have posted my experiences earlier? Maybe we have the beginnings of a class action lawsuit?

Do NOT disassemble the Warn 9.5ti as instructed by the paperwork you received from gowarn... Call Mike McEwen (or probably ANYONE else) at Warn Corporation and he will set you straight about how the winch will be seriously damaged if you do attempt this. From what he told me, this winch is a brand new and IMPROVED design which involves new seals that vastly improve the protection of the winch's components and disassembly by non-trained persons WILL definitely damage these seals.

I will not advise you on what to do, but I can say that I wish that I had simply contacted my credit card company upon receipt of the shipment from GoWarn. They failed to ship me the item I ordered and as far as I am concerned, notwithstanding ANY statements on their website, they should not ONLY pay for the return shipping charges --- but should compensate me for their failure to complete the order as agreed.

I have in the past refused shipments, and had the company send a pick-up order for the faulty/incorrect products. In which case, I simply repacked the items and set them out for the UPS driver.

In my case, I have already modified the winch, something you "might" want to do? I bought the quick-disconnect plugs (cost about $35) and cut the two battery leads that were attached to the winch and then crimped on the plug. Very simple to do if you have the proper tools. Plus to red, negative to black... Fool proof even for me. The price you paid is even lower that the price I paid, so if you MIGHT decide to just keep it?

Of course, you might also discover that your winch is defective? Maybe you too have "blown the solenoids"? Although, I would "guess" that would be carrying the law of probabilities awfully far? I'd bet yours is fine... Wanna bet?

I think that once I get the winch back and it is operational, I will attempt, one last time, to reach a mutually agreeable compromise on this matter with GoWarn. I do NOT have any illusions that such will be possible, given their previous attitudes, and if need be, I will be contacting my credit card company and contesting the charge. At that point, maybe a third-party will be able to arbitrate and work out a fair arrangement?

I just talked to the repir shop in Tampa, and the serviceman told me that a wire inside the winch had gotten pinched during assembly and that he had repaired it by splicing the wire. He said that to "correctly" repiar it, he could order a new wiring harness which might take a couple of weeks to get in. More problems...

Sorry again that you found out the hardway about this company...

Ed
Old 05-15-2003, 07:25 PM
Hummer Expert

Hummer Man is off the scale

Does anyone have the "WINCH BUMPER" ??

"FORUM FOUNDING MEMBER 11/03/02 - #1 H2 SITE"
Old 05-15-2003, 08:29 PM
Hummer Veteran

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hummer Man:
"Does anyone have the "WINCH BUMPER" ??"
"FORUM FOUNDING MEMBER 11/03/02 - #1 H2 SITE"
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

By "WINCH BUMPER", do you mean a sharp, uncomfortable pain in the ass attributed to buying a defective winch from a disreputable company? If so, then yes, I certainly do have one...

"FORUM FOUNDING MEMBER 04/18/03 - #1 H2 SITE"
Old 05-16-2003, 12:56 PM
Hummer Guru

BKLYNH2 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have not heard from gowarn yet. I called twice yesterday and emailed today. What kind of wack company tells you to handle customer service problems through email? I will definitely use that as a big old flag for all future internet purchases.
Good Hummerman, thanks for relaying your experience, you could not have known in advance that I would have bought from this guy, and they appear to be quite legit. Their is definitely truth to the saying "If it looks to good to be true, it probably is." I also have learned that I should complete a transaction first before recommending anything here at the site. The agonizing thing is that I had seen cheap deals on Ebay that I stayed away from because I was afraid of getting screwed. In the end I probably would have more security through ebay, or at least better dispute resolution.(this plug was unsolicited, and I am not an employee of ebay)
That being said, I may not be that screwed. The first question is, if I could get this guy to take the winch back, and send the right one, should I trust them? They may take the winch, open it up and attach the quick connect themselves thereby ruining the seals. I probably wouldn't discover this until it was too late. I could take care of this myself. After all I did get this for a very good price, it might be worthwhile to just get it done. Right now everything is still in the opened boxes. If I can get an exchange I don't want to jeopardize that possibility. So until I here from them it stays there. If after speaking to them it seems like I should just install myself, I will first connect the winch to the battery with the existing wires to check that it works. If I pass that hurdle then we should be able to alter it as you have said.
I would like to hear from more people who have the 9.5 installed because I think the quick connect pre-attached is a new option and some may have had to do this themselves too. I am a little puzzled by Warn stating the housing should not be opened to attach the quick connect. I have looked at the exploded diagram in the owner's manual, and it obviously comes apart. Any authorized service dealer to repair it would also have to open it. If you shine a flashlight towards the housing where the red wire disappears it does not seem like it goes through a waterproof sleeve. Once inside the diagram shows a simple bolted connection for the red lead as well. Does Warn think we can't figure out how to put the parts back?
I don't mean to go on and on about this(especially when you have posted a perfectly acceptable work around), but being somewhat mechanically inclined, I believe that anything that is assembled can be disassembled and reassembled at will. As long as it is done carefully. I had a similar problem with Apple. I got an Ipod, it got sand in it and didn't work, the apple service gurus in all NYC told me I now owned a $400 paperweight. I said no way started to take apart on my own, when I got stuck on how a part should be removed properly I searched the internet and viola, found out how to dissasemble the ipod. One that was done I cleaned it all out and it is still working more than a year since. So the moral of the story is that it can be done, but does any one know how?

Finally Hummer Man (not Good) what is the point of your post. I try not to be overly critical of your prescence, like some, but this time I can't help but question. Did your comment have anything to do with this thread? I would be happy to apologize if I'm wrong, but if I'm not why don't you go play with Andkon, somewhere else!
Peter
Old 05-16-2003, 01:53 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

BKLYNH2

Quit apologizing for posting about this being a good deal until you found out. That's the great thing about this message board. I saw your post, but if I was going to buy the same winch as you, I would have waited to get your results after you installed it.

So, what you have done is save many other forum members from making the same mistake.
Old 05-20-2003, 11:10 PM

andkon is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BKLYNH2:
I would be happy to apologize if I'm wrong, but if I'm not why don't you go play with Andkon, somewhere else!
Peter<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[Excellent, dissent stirred among the masses.]
Old 05-20-2003, 11:32 PM

bklynh2srock is off the scale

He was joking andkon. Please go back to your thread or I will send you to bed without dinner. That was a joke, too. Only the latter part, though. Seriously, I would pay heed to Alec's earlier advice to you about staying on your thread unless you want to be squelched.

On the winch front, the winch appears to work, both reeling in and out, and when they called back they acknowledged they sent the wrong one, and had sent the kit to make it a QuickConnect along with the winch (Peter didn't open everything b/c he thought he was sending it back). They offered to walk Peter through the process of adding the QC. So, things have improved. They did seem responsive once they called back, but it's more than a bit nerve-wracking when it doesn't seem like they'll get back to you and you have the wrong winch in hand. We'll let you know how things go on the install and a after a true tryout.

They told us the QC 9.5 will not be out for a few weeks which we have yet to verify elsewhere.

[This message was edited by bklynh2srock on 05-20-03 at 07:07 PM.]
but she knows what she knows.
Give that girl wings and that\'s all she wrote.
Old 06-16-2003, 07:36 PM
Hummer Veteran

Skulz is off the scale

Any updates on this?
I'm interested in getting a multimount 9.5ti as well and am looking for a nice price like gowarn offers.

What all do you need to order?

Trying to learn, thanks.
-Skulz
Old 06-16-2003, 09:44 PM

H2Girl is off the scale

I just purchased the winch from GOWARN a week ago.
Fast 2 day delivery, no problems and very helpful.
Winch exceeeded my expectations!
Old 06-16-2003, 09:52 PM

cinci is off the scale

H2Girl,

Did the reciever have the vertical mounting pin whole predrilled or did you have to do this yourself? Also, did this come with the wiring for the front mount or was that extra also?

Thanks,
David
Black H2
Green 97.5 H1 Wagon
Old 06-16-2003, 09:59 PM

DiscoDancingRover is off the scale

Skulz you are going to need that winch, for when we pull you out..

Rover owner, with light envy...
Old 06-17-2003, 03:09 AM

H2 Daddy is off the scale

BKLYNH2
I think we all went through the same thing.

I ordered the 9.5ti with multi-mount through 4 Wheel Parts Wholesalers. I also received the the unit with the 6 foot battery cables attached, but I also received the shorter cables with the quick-connect end. So I thought oh no big deal, I will just switch the cables. Holy S#*t, It took me about 5 minutes to take the unit apart and switch the cables, but an hour and a half to get it back together again. During reassembally I started to worry about not being able to get it back together. The spool in the middle of the two cases has a spindle on each end. There are numerous gears on each end of the spindles. In short all the gears have to line up just right before a spindle on one end will drop in. After one end is in, you have to get the other end in and guess what? Once you get the other end in, the first end comes out. After attempting this many times the stars lined up and both ends lined up and the cases when together. What a relief. The winch works perfectly. I have used the winch to pull my H2 out of a high center situation in sand.

The seals didn't seam to be any big deal. They were just O-Rings seated in grease, one at each end. One did fall out of it's race though after I had gotten the spindle on that end in, so I had to take it back apart to put the O-Ring back on.

The Multi-mount was also a pain, but I think I may have caused that problem. When I drilled the vertical hole in the MM, I pushed the MM all the way into the receiver to mark the location of the hole. After I drilled the hole, the lock pin was tight. If I had pulled the MM out a small amount before marking the hole location, I would them have been able to wiggle the MM and locking pin around. I solved the problem by taking the bumper off and enlarging the hole that the locking pin goes through with a rotatory tool. I then primed and painted the bare metal. The locking pin now drops in easily.
Old 06-17-2003, 04:08 AM
Hummer Veteran

Without a doubt, this is one of the worst companies I have ever dealt with. All I can say is that if you deal with them, after reading this thread, you deserve everything you get.

Maybe you will be lucky? Hopefully so. Apparently H2Girl was lucky???

The pricing is exceptional. But, when I called and talked to the head man at gowarn, he informed me in no uncertain terms that that they really couldn't care less about any of my "problems" with 9.5 Warn winch because they only made a profit of about $50 on it. Quoting: "What do you expect from us? We only make 50 bucks on the deal!"

Maybe this type of attitude is acceptable to you, if so, by all means jump right in and order it from them. Warn Inc. told me after I bought the winch that www.gowarn.com (aka internet pioneering) is not an authorized WARN dealer. All I know is that they did NOTHING to help me. They were rude, didn't return calls as promised and basically didn't care that the winch they shipped to me was not functional or complete. They even charged me for "free" shipping... After a lot of effort on my part (several trips to the nearest authorized dealer) I finally have a winch that does function. No thanks at all to gowarn though!

Call the folks at Warn Inc. and ask them about the 9.5ti winch, and this unauthorized dealer. Then figure out how much horrible service is worth and then decide whether or not you feel lucky.

I hope that H2Daddy never finds out that he has voided his warranty by taking his winch apart... Of course, with any "luck" the 90-day warranty will never be needed?

Ed
Old 06-17-2003, 10:53 AM

H2Girl is off the scale

When I had called GOWARN to place my order, I questioned them on the problems previously mentioned by other members of this board. They admitted to having some complications with the quick disconnect in some of the first shipped units but assured me that that has been addessed and taken care of. Since they had a supplier in NY, It took only 2 days to arrive to me. Everything was as described and shipping was free as there promotion stated on the website. The multimount did not come predrilled for the vertical mounting pin but that's really easy to drill out as long as you have a 1/2" drill and a 5/8th steel bit. To make it easier, use the rear hitch and place the multimount in sideways and use the hitch holes as guides. I also drilled about 1 1/2" back from the original horizontal holes so that the winch fits closer to the front hitch.
Cincih2: The winch came with everything needed to wire it to the front and the only things I purchased extra was the roller fairlead and 20'extention so I could use the winch in the rear hitch.
Old 06-17-2003, 11:56 AM
Hummer Authority

Big Z has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Send it back and Go Ramsey!
Old 06-17-2003, 05:52 PM
Hummer Veteran

Skulz is off the scale

I'm confused. There is a "red letter" Warn dealer in my area that will do the installation and everything. However, they say that the multimount for the 9.5ti isn't even out yet (July 3 or so). Their price is 1199 for the winch & mount, 155 for the wiring to the rear, and labor is additional.

Obviously I'm now very confused and have no idea what any of you really got with your order. I think my brain is having a melt down.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>WARN Red Letter Dealers are an elite group of WARN authorized retail outlets that help provide consumers with the highest level of WARN brand product information, availability and service. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 06-17-2003, 06:11 PM

H2Girl is off the scale

Hey Skulz,
Tell your dealer to get with the program. The 9.5 Ti has been out. Here's the link for you priced at $957 for the winch and multimount and $109.95 for the 20' wiring for the rearhttp://www.gowarn.com/cbSearch.asp?Product_ID=WAR65735
http://www.gowarn.com/electrical.htm
Old 06-17-2003, 06:11 PM

H2Girl is off the scale

Sorry, here's the link for the winch :
http://www.gowarn.com/cbSearch.asp?Product_ID=WAR65735
Old 06-17-2003, 06:29 PM
Hummer Veteran

Skulz is off the scale

H2Girl, thanks for the link. I'll bring it up with the dealer.

Still, the lady said they weren't out from warn yet. I'm going by their shop later this afternoon to check let them see the H2 to get a feel for installation.