H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 01-31-2007, 05:06 PM
Hummer Veteran

whaaaaT is on a distinguished road
Default cold!

Anyone notice if you jump in the H3 after its been sitting in the cold for a long time it goes slower than any other car you've ever driven? I've also noticed that sometimes if you floor it and truck downshifts in cold weather your temp will actually drop like a quarter. This was on the highway with the heat on in recirculate.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:32 PM
Hummer Expert

stagger_lee is on a distinguished road
Default Re: cold!

You are letting the oil temp get up to par right? If its really cold you should let it warm up for several minutes before jumping on it. I also spend a lot of time cold weather (20 degrees and below), and I have never seen the temp gauge drop at all when Im driving. It changes slightly from time to time, but not suddenly.

'06 Luxury Adventure
'99 Toyota 4runner 4x4
'71 FJ40
Old 01-31-2007, 05:40 PM
Steve - SanJose

Yea, best not to thrash it until it's warmed up.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:33 AM
Hummer Professional

raptorman53 is on a distinguished road

Mine does that. I got on it the other night and the engine temp droped half way in less than a quarter mile. I think this is because the coolant moving through the engine faster at higher rpm. Also if you drop it down to third the temp will drop a little bit. I noticed this with my trailer. Look at my other thread.
http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...t=coolant+temp

Black Sheep Hummer Squadron
Old 02-01-2007, 08:10 AM
Hummer Expert

blindzebra is an unknown quantity at this point

yes it's normal for the temp gauge to drop when it's cold. Usually it will be at a level and when I hop on the interstate and get up to 70 or so it will drop some until I've gone a few miles. An yes, I let my engine warm up until it reaches it's idle rpm. It's just due to a rush of cold air around the sensor.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:26 PM
Hummer Authority

HummerHippy is on a distinguished road

Hmm, Hadn't noticed. It's been getting down to single digits in the past few weeks. Expect the same this weekend. 2 words - Block heater!
I must say, I am pretty easy on the engine while it's cold.

Gone: 2006 Red H3, Aventure Pkg, 5 Speed, Monsoon, Brush Guard, Rubber Foor mats, Trailer package, Chrome Fuel door, Engine Block Heater.

"You?re making the choices about whether you want to drive a little extra more or not drive extra more."
29-Jul-2008
Old 02-01-2007, 06:23 PM
Hummer Veteran

phantom2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

It goes slower than any vehicle I've ever driven, hot or cold
Old 02-01-2007, 10:01 PM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom2
It goes slower than any vehicle I've ever driven, hot or cold

ha ha ha! yea its pretty wierd when you floor it and people in your car riding with you have no idea.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:33 PM
Hummer Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindzebra
An yes, I let my engine warm up until it reaches it's idle rpm. It's just due to a rush of cold air around the sensor.
I sure hope everyone lets their rig warm up, you never know though I am confused by the cold air around the sensor statement. Engine temps should be read internally by the thermostat which reads water temp. Unless you mean the rush of cold air into the radiator, in which case doesn't seem like it would register colder temps immediately, although in the cases said here it seems as though it does. This is more of a questioning statement looking for affirmation, not trying talk sh!t, blindzebra.

'06 Luxury Adventure
'99 Toyota 4runner 4x4
'71 FJ40
Old 02-02-2007, 03:06 AM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorman53
Mine does that. I got on it the other night and the engine temp droped half way in less than a quarter mile. I think this is because the coolant moving through the engine faster at higher rpm. Also if you drop it down to third the temp will drop a little bit. I noticed this with my trailer. Look at my other thread.
http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...t=coolant+temp

Hey your definatley right. I put it in 3rd for maybe half a block and the temp dropped really fast. You'd think itd be opposite. Guess it just just pumps faster at higher rpms like you said. hmmm.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:36 AM
Elcova Rookie

Joeyoshi is on a distinguished road

MY truck will do it when it's 50 out. I have never seen that in any other auto befor. The dealer said it was normal????????? The truck has no power when it's cold even after I let it warm up for 10 to 15 min, strange
Old 02-02-2007, 04:43 AM
Hummer Authority

K9sH3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by whaaaaT
ha ha ha! yea its pretty wierd when you floor it and people in your car riding with you have no idea.

It real bad when you floor it and you don't know it. I am close to the 18 months and I get tired of what I have - problem. I am already looking.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:13 AM
Hummer Guru

fourfourto is an unknown quantity at this point

Auto start is great in the cold .
MPG will drop though

Using synthetic oil is better for cold motors,I have been using moble 1 since the 2nd oil change.
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:53 PM
Hummer Veteran

graydog is an unknown quantity at this point

no power here either must be that big bad i5.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:21 PM
Hummer Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagger_lee
I sure hope everyone lets their rig warm up, you never know though I am confused by the cold air around the sensor statement. Engine temps should be read internally by the thermostat which reads water temp. Unless you mean the rush of cold air into the radiator, in which case doesn't seem like it would register colder temps immediately, although in the cases said here it seems as though it does. This is more of a questioning statement looking for affirmation, not trying talk sh!t, blindzebra.

What about any confirmation on this? we know we have no power guys. I just wasn't buying the "rush of cold air around the sensor" statement from blindzebra, and again just asking not trashing! .

'06 Luxury Adventure
'99 Toyota 4runner 4x4
'71 FJ40
Old 02-02-2007, 06:02 PM
Hummer Veteran

yea i dont think its the rush of cold air either. I think its got more to do with engine rpms and the coolant flow. I know when i stop at red lights my temp goes up a little right away. When i floor it in cold or go to a lower gear it drops a lot now. So im guessing this truck just doesnt do well job of controling its flow. Im sure sombodys gonna go crazy trying to defend the perfection of the hummer. But im not ranking on my own truck. Im just saying what it does. Its kinda wierd. I've never had any other trucks do this.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:04 PM
Hummer Expert

I agree, and I am noticing a minor temp changes now that I know to look for it, but as long as it doesn't overheat Im not complaining. Our trucks are slow, but who cares, look what we can do! You dont need HP to have a good wheeler. 4.03 to 1 TC and 4.56's!!! enough said.

'06 Luxury Adventure
'99 Toyota 4runner 4x4
'71 FJ40
Old 02-02-2007, 09:08 PM
Hummer Expert

evldave is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by whaaaaT
yea i dont think its the rush of cold air either. I think its got more to do with engine rpms and the coolant flow. I know when i stop at red lights my temp goes up a little right away. When i floor it in cold or go to a lower gear it drops a lot now. So im guessing this truck just doesnt do well job of controling its flow. Im sure sombodys gonna go crazy trying to defend the perfection of the hummer. But im not ranking on my own truck. Im just saying what it does. Its kinda wierd. I've never had any other trucks do this.

This has come up a couple other times in threads. More flow doesn't necessarily mean drop in temperature. If the water is hot throughout the engine, it's just gonna flow more of the same temp water. I'd guess, because I'm too lazy to go check right now (and forget by the time I get off work every day) that the temp sensor is on the intake of the engine after the rad. Then, when the flow picks up, it's picking up the flow post radiator. If the temp sensor was in the out from the engine, it wouldn't change so much because the engine would keep the temp higher than flowing through the rad. Unless it was a really high-volume pump and pumped all the cool water from the rad through the engine to the sensor so quick it still looked like it was dropping fast, but from what I can remember (it is after all Friday and I'm at work, so my brain isn't working today), the temp drop is almost instantaneous, so that wouldn't make sense, would it??? I think I've confused myself now...
Old 02-02-2007, 10:15 PM
Hummer Professional

Idaho-Hummer is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by evldave
I think I've confused myself now...

Don't worry Evldave, here what I do get a bearing on the issue at hand, check the temp gauge, good to go. Check the heater, yep got heat form the heater(FU@K its cold up here -40), see any steam from the front of the car, no stream. Fu@k it, the car works lets go play!!!!!!
Old 02-03-2007, 01:02 AM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagger_lee
I agree, and I am noticing a minor temp changes now that I know to look for it, but as long as it doesn't overheat Im not complaining. Our trucks are slow, but who cares, look what we can do! You dont need HP to have a good wheeler. 4.03 to 1 TC and 4.56's!!! enough said.

actually my truck overheated a few times in the summer. Dealer replaced the thermostat and something else. Some houseing thing or something. It was overheating when i was driving on the beach.