H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 02-15-2006, 04:38 PM
Hummer Veteran

The Ledge is off the scale

I recieved a penny sized stone chip on my front windshield. Was surfing this morning on windshield repair services that actually will come out to the location and repair on site. Read up on the techniques used for the repair which includes the cleaning, drilling out and filling with resin of the chip. Before I commit, can anyone that has had this done please share any experiences and satisfactions on this type of repair? Thanks in advance.

Ed
Old 02-15-2006, 04:38 PM
Hummer Veteran

I recieved a penny sized stone chip on my front windshield. Was surfing this morning on windshield repair services that actually will come out to the location and repair on site. Read up on the techniques used for the repair which includes the cleaning, drilling out and filling with resin of the chip. Before I commit, can anyone that has had this done please share any experiences and satisfactions on this type of repair? Thanks in advance.

Ed
Old 02-15-2006, 04:46 PM
Hummer Expert

Marcmedic is an unknown quantity at this point

Used to do that kind of work part time in college. It totally depends on the size and type of the break, and also how much dirt is in it. It will not be nearly as bad as it is now. Most breaks almost totally disappear after they've been fixed. The resin they put in to fill the glass cannot usually be seen after it cures. The stuff they put into the hole they drilled dries with a little haze to it. At worst it looks like a really small bug smear on the windshiled, smaller than the sice of a ball point pen tip. Much cheaper and less hassle than replacing the entire windshield.
Old 02-15-2006, 04:57 PM
Hummer Veteran

Thanks Marcmedic. My penny sized chip does include some surface fissures around it. This particular vendor on the phone did describe this haze-like post appearance you mentioned. Thanks. Was definitley trying to avoid replacing the windshield. They also did guarantee the cost of the repair would be deducted off the cost of a replacement windshield if unsatisfied with the repair.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:02 PM
Hummer Expert

Marcmedic is an unknown quantity at this point

Some insurance companies have a 0 deductible for windshield repair. You way want to call you insurance agent and ask. Most won't help with a replacement unless you've added replacement coverage. The company that does it sometimes will file the claim for you. The cracks usually disappear, it's when there is dirt in it that it gets to be a real pain to fix.
Old 02-15-2006, 06:02 PM
Hummer Expert

Hum2 is off the scale

And some insurance companies (Allied sucks!) will hold it against you as a claim and drop your insurance. True story.

However, to answer the original question, my chip repair, done on-site, was great, and have had several over the years, no problems with any of them. It all depends on the chip and the stresses on the windshield.

Also, one time, I had a minor chip I wanted fixed, the repair guy said it didn't need repair....that very chip cracked my HUMMER windshield side to side 2 weeks later...I should have gone back to the guy to show him he was wrong...but didn't, mainly because the HUMMER windshield is the biggest piece of junk made...they all crack with the blink of an eye.

Ric

For most insurance companies, they will $0 Ded the chip repair and not hold it as a claim
Old 02-15-2006, 07:01 PM
Hummer Veteran

Thanks fellas, just found out my insurance will reimburse with -0- deductability under my comprehensive coverage. And that is also my fear Ric, that upon premium renewal they do not hold this against me with a "surcharge".
Old 02-15-2006, 07:25 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

I didn't get a surcharge for a "free" repair by my insurance co. THREE times!
Old 02-16-2006, 07:47 PM
Hummer Veteran

vip808 is off the scale

Do not use store bought/ diy stone repair kits! Leave the repair to professionals or you'll end up paying more than you wanted. If you mess up there's no way to fix it but to replace it.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:08 PM
Hummer Veteran

MSeeb is off the scale

I've had it done profesionally several times and it worked out great each time. At least on small chips.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:59 AM
Hummer Veteran

vip808 is off the scale

kinda off the subject... but does anyone know if the hood deflector by GTS would help to prevent accidents like this?
Old 02-17-2006, 11:40 AM
Hummer Veteran

Thanks for everyones feedback. I've got a service scheduled for Monday at my house since I'm off for Pres' day. I'll take a before and after photo for reference back here to this thread.

vip808, my opinion is that because of the hummer's windshield is more "straight up" due than other vehicles, the windshield is more prone to getting chipped. A more angled windshield would deflect foreign objects as intended. I also had the misfortune of being behind an 18 wheeler in the left lane when I got my "bullet hole" chip. Learned my lesson and will never do that again.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:33 PM
Hummer Expert

Hum2 is off the scale

My opinion on "bug" deflectors...they are just that...they may deflect a small semi-areodynamic bug with a change in air flow over the hood, but the weight of a pebble/rock won't be affected enough to miss the windshield. We just need insurance/glass companies to give us a real windshield, and not the cheap junk they do now.

Ric
Old 02-17-2006, 01:34 PM
Hummer Expert

walc is off the scale

Just got a small chip, on my 2 week old H2 SUT.
I went for the repair, because my insurer waives the deductible.
The repair is OK; but no miracle. Now the small chip looks like a small bug.

2008 Ford F250 Super Duty, 6.4L PSD, XLT, 4x4, LB.
2006 Hummer H2 SUT.
2003 Land Rover Discovery S.
2007 Mercedes Benz E350.
2006 BMW M3 Convertible.
2007 Harley Davidson FXD Dyna Super Glide.
Old 02-17-2006, 02:49 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by walc:
The repair is OK; but no miracle. Now the small chip looks like a small bug. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Just sue the rock
Old 02-17-2006, 02:51 PM
Hummer Expert

walc is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PARAGON:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by walc:
The repair is OK; but no miracle. Now the small chip looks like a small bug. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Just sue the rock </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now there's an idea!

2008 Ford F250 Super Duty, 6.4L PSD, XLT, 4x4, LB.
2006 Hummer H2 SUT.
2003 Land Rover Discovery S.
2007 Mercedes Benz E350.
2006 BMW M3 Convertible.
2007 Harley Davidson FXD Dyna Super Glide.