H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 09-18-2005, 08:07 PM
Hummer Veteran

Crisco is off the scale

I started installing some acessories on my H3 and thought I would share my experience and "how to" photos for review.

I have decided to go with parts purchased from my dealer for the most part. This is partly because I prefer the genuine article but also because the people there are incredibly friendly and offer free advice.

I also found that it your handy, you can save a bundle by installing the parts yourself.

You can follow my progress at http://www.rausite.com/hummerh3.htm

I currently have pictures of the install of the chrome gas cap cover, hood handles, bumper letter inserts and what the Metral 99-3304 kit looks like installed.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:07 PM
Hummer Veteran

Crisco is off the scale

I started installing some acessories on my H3 and thought I would share my experience and "how to" photos for review.

I have decided to go with parts purchased from my dealer for the most part. This is partly because I prefer the genuine article but also because the people there are incredibly friendly and offer free advice.

I also found that it your handy, you can save a bundle by installing the parts yourself.

You can follow my progress at http://www.rausite.com/hummerh3.htm

I currently have pictures of the install of the chrome gas cap cover, hood handles, bumper letter inserts and what the Metral 99-3304 kit looks like installed.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:16 AM

GopherH3 is off the scale

Nice site and great info. Your rig looks sweet. Where did you get the hood handles?
Old 09-19-2005, 01:07 AM
Hummer Veteran

Crisco is off the scale

Thanks,

I picked up the handles at my dealer Sewell Hummer. They're actually SMA brand and I would recommend finding them somewhere other than the dealer. I was rubbing my backside as I left. I saw the same set on ebay for $175.00.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:29 AM

Game Over is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GopherH3:
Nice site and great info. Your rig looks sweet. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree w/ GopherH3. Anyway I was hoping you can get the pics and instructions for the installation of your aftermarket head unit (esp the wiring part) and all the accessories needed to get it done and working.

Thanks
Old 09-19-2005, 09:50 AM
Hummer Veteran

Crisco is off the scale

Thanks fliggah. I'll get started on the head unit "how to" tomarrow. I'll include as many pictures as I can along with the simple factory wire harness mod, and anyhting else I can think of that you may need.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:47 AM
Hummer Expert

First Hummer is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Crisco:
Thanks fliggah. I'll get started on the head unit "how to" tomarrow. I'll include as many pictures as I can along with the simple factory wire harness mod, and anyhting else I can think of that you may need. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I to would like to see the wiring diagram.I would be interested what accessory wire you hooked into.Would it be the Pink wire under the dash.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:29 PM
Hummer Veteran

Crisco is off the scale

Actually I didn't have to tap into an ACC wire per say, the one included with the factory harness connects nicely through the OS2.

I also found that Hummer provided a capped off VCC and ground wire in the dash behind the stereo. I purchased the base model with the automatic transmission, window tint, side steps and trailer hitch attachment. I did not get the LUX or off-road package so those wires may be for an accessory I do not have.

I'll try to get some good digital pictures of the install on my hummer page in the next day or so. It actually turned out to be a much easier install than I thought it would be.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:38 PM
Hummer Expert

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Crisco:
Actually I didn't have to tap into an ACC wire per say, the one included with the factory harness connects nicely through the OS2.

I also found that Hummer provided a capped off VCC and ground wire in the dash behind the stereo. I purchased the base model with the automatic transmission, window tint, side steps and trailer hitch attachment. I did not get the LUX or off-road package so those wires may be for an accessory I do not have.

I'll try to get some good digital pictures of the install on my hummer page in the next day or so. It actually turned out to be a much easier install than I thought it would be. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

did you have to connect the 3 purple wires from the factory harness together like someone else mentioned.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:33 PM
Hummer Veteran

Crisco is off the scale

Yes, but in my case there were only two. I assume that's because I only had the standard radio.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:19 PM
Hummer Expert

Yes, but in my case there were only two. I assume that's because I only had the standard radio. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whats VCC DUDE?
Old 09-20-2005, 12:39 AM
Hummer Veteran

Crisco is off the scale

VCC is a constant hot (+12 volts) even when the ignition is off.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:59 PM

noticed you're using a Pioneer aftermarket headunit, i am about to as well, just want to know if u had to buy an antenna adapter to plug the factory antenna into your new unit.

BTW how's that radio intall write-up comin' along

Thanks
Old 09-20-2005, 05:46 PM
Hummer Veteran

Crisco is off the scale

I'm glad you brought that up. The answer is yes, I did have to get an adapter.

I'll have a bunch of the install stuff ready in a couple of hours or so.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:24 PM
Hummer Veteran

Crisco is off the scale

Ok, I'm adding the last couple of pictures for the after market head unit install to my hummer web page right now. I hope some of you find it usefull.

http://www.rausite.com/hummerh3.htm
Old 09-21-2005, 03:11 AM

I'm glad you brought that up. The answer is yes, I did have to get an adapter. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I bought an antenna adapter from Cardomain
(Scosche MDA1) hopefully it'll work. It says "For 1987-Up GM Vehicles / MDA1 adapts the factory GM micro/Delco antenna cable to a standard aftermarket (Motorola type) antenna connector." If I've known that you were gonna post a "How To" I would have waited before ordering mine.

BTW your site is very informative esp. for somebody like me that's getting stuff ready in advance.
Old 09-21-2005, 03:47 AM
Hummer Authority

kacyk is off the scale

Nicely done Crisco! I feel more confident about installing the chrome gas cover now. Also, did you have a Monsoon head unit? I want to install an Eclipse head unit (the one with the Nav) but I don't know if it will work with the exisisting amp without an adapter. Also, where did you get the stereo install kit. It's a perfect match for the DIN opening.

Thanks for posting those pics again!
2006 Black H3 LUX + Off Road (Sold)
2003 Yellow H2 LUX (Sold)
2003 Pewter H2 Adventure (Sold)
Old 09-21-2005, 06:23 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kacyk:
Also, where did you get the stereo install kit. It's a perfect match for the DIN opening.

Thanks for posting those pics again! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here's a link for the kit:
http://www.installer-data.com/item/d...php?it=99-3304
Old 09-21-2005, 10:52 AM
Hummer Veteran

Crisco is off the scale

Kacyk,

I did not have the monsoon head unit. I believe there is an additional adaptor for use with the amp.

I picked up the install kit from Car Toys.