H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 11-06-2005, 04:22 AM
Hummer Professional

Mark805 is off the scale

Hi all... I just went to Car Toys today and had them hook me up with the Pioneer AVIC-D1 system. My old system was the 6 disk with monsoon.

OK.. They took all day to do the install and when I got there they tried out OnStar and it about blew out the installers ears so he had to do some tweeking. He pulls it around front and lets me know they are done. So off I go with the sales guy who is gonna show me how to make it all work...

I get in and start my car... Turn on th radio and all looks good... Then I hit the onstar button and bam.. lots of engine noise feedback over the speakers AND the Nav system shuts off. Once I hang up Onstar the nav turns back on.

OK.. I dont know much about car electronics so I wont even pretend. I know this is not how it should work and the sales guy had the nerve to ask," How much do you use the phone anyways?". Seeing that just made my head turn an unnatural shade of red/purple he said he'd talk to the installer.

So he comes back and says he'll get in touch with me in a few days with a solution. So I am driving home and a friend calls in on the hummer and to my joy.. the phone rings over the speakers but turns off the nav unit.

Anyone have a suggestion as to what I can tell these guys when I go back in tomorrow that can fix the problem? If not I am gonna have them put my old system back in.

Installed was the AVIC-D1, Pioneer XM tuner, Ipod adaptor and OS2-Bose adaptor for the Onstar.

Dear GM: PLEASE SELL ME AN HX
Old 11-06-2005, 04:22 AM
Hummer Professional

Mark805 is off the scale

Hi all... I just went to Car Toys today and had them hook me up with the Pioneer AVIC-D1 system. My old system was the 6 disk with monsoon.

OK.. They took all day to do the install and when I got there they tried out OnStar and it about blew out the installers ears so he had to do some tweeking. He pulls it around front and lets me know they are done. So off I go with the sales guy who is gonna show me how to make it all work...

I get in and start my car... Turn on th radio and all looks good... Then I hit the onstar button and bam.. lots of engine noise feedback over the speakers AND the Nav system shuts off. Once I hang up Onstar the nav turns back on.

OK.. I dont know much about car electronics so I wont even pretend. I know this is not how it should work and the sales guy had the nerve to ask," How much do you use the phone anyways?". Seeing that just made my head turn an unnatural shade of red/purple he said he'd talk to the installer.

So he comes back and says he'll get in touch with me in a few days with a solution. So I am driving home and a friend calls in on the hummer and to my joy.. the phone rings over the speakers but turns off the nav unit.

Anyone have a suggestion as to what I can tell these guys when I go back in tomorrow that can fix the problem? If not I am gonna have them put my old system back in.

Installed was the AVIC-D1, Pioneer XM tuner, Ipod adaptor and OS2-Bose adaptor for the Onstar.

Old 11-06-2005, 05:32 AM
Hummer Expert

kodiakz is off the scale

I would ask them to check the volume level on the os2 first as there is an adjustment on it. If the level is too high is could cause your feedback. Second, make sure they are aware of the service bulletin for the os2 about connecting all the purple class II data wires together at the harness (available on pac site). I believe that it is also possible that the os2 is shutting off power to the D1 when onstar enabled instead of muting it--can't rember off the top of my head, but I think the D1 has a yellow/black wire that is the mute wire and should be used in conjuction w/ the brown wire on the os2. Good Luck!
\'05 Slate Blue Sut w/ Magnusun, JBA headers, custom exhaust, 22\" MC2 RT5 wheels, Pioneer AVIC Z1 nav, Passport SRX, Vizualogic A1000 dual, bi xenons, fog xenons, dual optimas, and just gettin\' started!
Old 11-06-2005, 07:29 AM

Ely is off the scale

I would ask them get down on the ground so I can test the vertical climb of my rig on their friggin head!

You'd expect a company like that to do a better job...

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y26...o/DSC00877.jpg

[img]http://i7.
Old 11-06-2005, 12:04 PM

theadlee is off the scale

Mark,

I am having the same problem with engine/alternator noise only with the H3 phone or onstart is active. I have the exact same setup that you have except that I am not using the OS2-Bose adapter. I'm using just the OS2 non Bose adapter. If they find out what the problem is, please let me know, and I will do the same.

Regarding the nav shutting off, that is a install problem. They must have the mute wire from the OS2 hooked up the the system remote on the AVIC-D1 or something like that. This feature works fine on my system. Make sure they have the Mute wire from the OS2 hooked up to the Mute wire on the AVIC-D1 harness.
Old 11-06-2005, 04:32 PM
Hummer Expert

kodiakz is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">You'd expect a company like that to do a better job </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Unfortunatley, that is par for the course when dealing with them. We handle many of their issues when customers get fed up with the run around and come to the dealership for help. The majority of their employees tend to be early 20's guys that don;t have the faintest notion of customer service.
\'05 Slate Blue Sut w/ Magnusun, JBA headers, custom exhaust, 22\" MC2 RT5 wheels, Pioneer AVIC Z1 nav, Passport SRX, Vizualogic A1000 dual, bi xenons, fog xenons, dual optimas, and just gettin\' started!
Old 11-06-2005, 08:52 PM
Hummer Professional

Mark805 is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by theadlee:
Mark,

I am having the same problem with engine/alternator noise only with the H3 phone or onstart is active. I have the exact same setup that you have except that I am not using the OS2-Bose adapter. I'm using just the OS2 non Bose adapter. If they find out what the problem is, please let me know, and I will do the same. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK... They swapped out the old OS2-Bose for the plain old OS2.. that didnt do it so he put in 2 in line filters to clean it up... It got rid of all the feedback but there's a distict "pop" when you connect and disconnect onstar... the poor guy just couldn't do it. He said its the amp.

I printed out Kodiakz's reply and handed it to them .. lol... funny... now the mute works

Old 11-06-2005, 11:50 PM
Hummer Expert

kodiakz is off the scale

The pop is likely a ground loop/reference prob of some sort. I would also suggest trying some low value resistors (I think it's like 1k ohm, but will have to check my book) on the turn on lead from the interface to the oem amp. Do you get any thump when you turn on/off the D1? Or just when using onstar?
Old 11-07-2005, 12:07 AM

theadlee is off the scale

Mark,

Do you know what kind of filters he used and where he installed them? I would be happy if I could get rid of everything but the pop.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:41 PM

firm is off the scale

Can you please show some pics?
Old 11-07-2005, 02:47 PM

Kid Shyleen is off the scale

My installer told me that getting the aftermarket equipment to play nice with the monsoon system is near impossible. I too have the OnStar issue, and after some filtering, GREAT sound (much better than stock)! He told me that it was an issue where Monsson purposly made it impossible to use an aftermarket sysetm with their amp setup. He said if I wanted to change out the amp and sub they could resolve the problem all together. I am considering that now. At the moment, I am living with the OnStar issue.

Let me know if you find out anything else.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:51 PM
Hummer Expert

kodiakz is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">My installer told me that getting the aftermarket equipment to play nice with the monsoon system is near impossible </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Wrong!! If that were truly the case, you would have noise on the audio section as well (you are still feeding the amp a signal on the same path). I must admit that we have only done a few H3's, but no problems whatsoever. I spoke with both Soundgate and Peripheral today and both said that they are not aware of any noise issues and have no problems interfacing. If you are getting low on parience as I expect a few of you are, have your installers try bypassing the amp on the front door speakers and wire them to the output of the adaptor and see if that works. I have never tried this on an H3, but it should work. You may need to have him put in some passive crossovers, but it would depend upon the sound.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:17 AM
Hummer Professional

Mark805 is off the scale

The installer in my case installed 2 filters to each front speaker... that took care of it (I dont know what kind .. sorry)

Firm: Here is a link to the pics.. AVIC-D1 Pics

On a side note... This site is awesome .. you guys that share your experience and are giving input are ALOT of help. Thanks H3 community