H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 08-13-2005, 03:41 PM
Hummer Veteran

Matt5462 is off the scale

I have noticed many people are adjusting the torsions bars, adding larger tires, air intakes and exhaust. Anybody concerned about voiding the warrenty??
Old 08-13-2005, 03:41 PM
Hummer Veteran

Matt5462 is off the scale

I have noticed many people are adjusting the torsions bars, adding larger tires, air intakes and exhaust. Anybody concerned about voiding the warrenty??
Old 08-20-2005, 03:23 AM
Hummer Veteran

Okthenbye is off the scale

As for air intakes and exhaust systems, My Magnaflow exhaust has a lifetime warranty of it's own and so does the K&N air filter. The car manufacturer cannot void a warranty because you use an aftermarket item at least in California they cant.
Old 08-20-2005, 10:36 AM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

A few comments. One, a dealer cannot void a warranty, the dealer does not issue the warranty, the warranty is issued by GM. A GM rep can void the warranty, or refuse to service a part; however, the part has to have been damaged by a non-factory authorized component.
The Magnuson Moss Warranty Act gives you protection from items like air filters, exhaust, etc.
Also, if it is a legitimate reason for a manufacturer to void a warranty on a particular item, it does not mean the entire warranty is voided.
For example, you install monster tires with a radical backspace, and the tires stick out causing premature wear to the wheel bearings, the warranty on the bearings could be voided, but the remaining warranty is still good.
Another example, a supercharger will most likely void the engine/trans/differential warranty; however it will not affect the A/C system, brakes, radio, etc.
In addition to voiding a warranty, if you add something to the vehicle, and the dealer has to remove this item to service a warranty item, they can charge you for the time to remove the item. Also, a dealer can refuse to work on a vehicle if the modification is considered dangerous to the technician or the car. Example of this is many dealers will not position a lowered Vette onto their hoist since they are afraid of damaging the vehicle; even using wood blocks to drive the car onto the hoist.
Old 08-20-2005, 10:58 AM
Hummer Veteran

MxHonda is off the scale

It really depends on your service advisor at the dealer. I built a large Dodge 1500 pickup with a supercharger on the 360 (5.9L) engine, 7" lift, and 35" tires. I broke the front Dana44 axle two times and they repaired it under warranty. Both times were my fault...(sand dune jump and tug-of-war contest) I was honest and told them that I would pay for the repairs. They always liked my truck when I brought it in for service and ALWAYS test drove it before I got it back. (even after oil changes)
Old 08-21-2005, 09:15 PM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MxHonda:
It really depends on your service advisor at the dealer. I built a large Dodge 1500 pickup with a supercharger on the 360 (5.9L) engine, 7" lift, and 35" tires. I broke the front Dana44 axle two times and they repaired it under warranty. Both times were my fault...(sand dune jump and tug-of-war contest) I was honest and told them that I would pay for the repairs. They always liked my truck when I brought it in for service and ALWAYS test drove it before I got it back. (even after oil changes) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That can happen if the dealer is good and does not report the SC to GM WINS. If they do, it becomes GM's decision.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:50 PM
Hummer Guru

HummBebe is an unknown quantity at this point

I plan on having the Hummer service department install my supercharger.

Does that make sense as far as the warranty is concerned???
Old 08-21-2005, 10:57 PM
Hummer Guru

From GM's point of view; no. Then again, why should they pay for any damage the SC might do to the engine. Superchargers do cause stress to engine components, and added HP/Torque adds stress to the transmissions, axles, etc.
The trans used in the H3 has less of a torque rating than the 4L65E used on a Vette, and anything over 400 lbs of torque on that trans is pushing it, unless a trans upgrade kit is installed.
However, if a dealer arranges for the installation of the SC, chances are they will do one of two things:
One, make you sign a statement stating you understand the warranty may be voided by GM for certain components, or
Two, continue to service and never notify GM of any problems.
However, if out of town, and the engine goes, and you have to go to a another dealer, don't be surprised if they call GM for a warranty approval.
On my '97 Vette I waited until out of warranty and then went crazy, but what the heck, the powertrain was out of warranty anyway. I also had a 6-speed manual. If I had had the 4L60E (4L65E was released to the Vette in 2003), I knew I would have had to have the trans beefed or I would get a littering ticket for trans parts.

Someday, you might see GM releasing SC kits for certain vehicles to be installed by dealers. They sure are starting to release quite a few Superchargers and Tubos for many of their newer vehicles.

Good luck...