H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H1 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H1

Old 04-17-2008, 03:07 AM
Elcova Newbie

brad barkis is on a distinguished road
Default Lift kit

I want to lift my h1 a couple of inches. I see a spring block, and balljoint kit that rubberduck has for over 2k dollars. Does any one have any suggestions? Thanks!
Old 04-17-2008, 03:21 AM
Hummer Veteran

phazer42 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Lift kit

suspension or body?

as you metioned, Duck has a suspension kit, he also has a body kit...

I believe the kit that Charles Piper makes, runs around $800 and that is the spring block for a suspension lift but I believe it also includes a set of springs....

if you wanna read up on them, or get some entertainment goto the forum on humvee.net, lots of discussion on them there....
Old 04-17-2008, 05:39 AM
Hummer Expert

NoMoGMPG is an unknown quantity at this point

Since when is Charles offering his lift design for sale? I know he and Breggin discussed it, but I thought it was a dead deal.

I have the prototype of Rubberducks "Big Duck" lift on my truck, and was in on the torture testing before it was brought to market. It's a good, easy to install design, doesn't entail massive reworking or welding of any kind (JabbaFabba design), and maintains usable drivetrain angles. I have never broken anything related to the lift.

In short, "Works as advertised".
1999 AMGeneral H1 6.5TD BLACK Wagon e-Lockers Front and Back, Rubberduck4x4 RockTubes, Extended Undercarriage Protection,"Big Duck" 2" body lift/2 1/2" suspension lift, 41" IROK Radials on 17" Cepeks w/Rock Rims, (in process)Centered front diff, 3.08 gears, 12k Brakes and 12k halfshafts
Old 04-17-2008, 05:58 AM
Hummer Authority

ssgharkness020147 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoGMPG
Since when is Charles offering his lift design for sale? I know he and Breggin discussed it, but I thought it was a dead deal.

It has been out for well over a year. I've got one on my truck.

-007=
Old 04-17-2008, 07:47 PM
Hummer Guru

ROX is an unknown quantity at this point

Well this is good news. I was thinking of ordering RubberDuck's 3" suspension lift. Any feedback on lifting the Alpha?

HI NOMO!! I got the mac daddy H1 now baby!
Old 04-18-2008, 05:10 AM
Hummer Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROX
Well this is good news. I was thinking of ordering RubberDuck's 3" suspension lift. Any feedback on lifting the Alpha?

Hey Rox! I see you're one of the few Alpha owners actually taking advantage of its capabilities. Great job!

If you want my opinion, since you DO actually go wheeling on more than dirt trails, you would benefit from the suspension lift only if you wanted to go to 39.5 or larger tires. Otherwise it would look goofy with the 37's.

Name:  100OLYMP-P1010503_P1010503.jpg
Views: 1366
Size:  72.4 KB

The 40 MT/R would be perfect for you, since you drive yours both on and off highway. Best part is you don't need to do a body lift since the Alpha is already lifted (and with the 12" brakes I might add).

Oh and yeah, I'm jealous.
1999 AMGeneral H1 6.5TD BLACK Wagon e-Lockers Front and Back, Rubberduck4x4 RockTubes, Extended Undercarriage Protection,"Big Duck" 2" body lift/2 1/2" suspension lift, 41" IROK Radials on 17" Cepeks w/Rock Rims, (in process)Centered front diff, 3.08 gears, 12k Brakes and 12k halfshafts

Last edited by NoMoGMPG : 04-18-2008 at 05:22 AM.
Old 04-18-2008, 05:18 AM
Hummer Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgharkness020147
It has been out for well over a year. I've got one on my truck.

Is that through Dave Breggin?

How does it address the upper ball joint angle issue? Charles told me he put his upper control arms in a press to bend them at the proper angle, at least when he first did the lift. I hope it (the lift kit) is more than just the spring tower spacers. I'm curious about the materials used in that kit, since I know the Rubberduck kit spacers and the balljoint angle wedges are made from a very high tensile material to prevent mushrooming.
Old 04-18-2008, 05:49 AM
Hummer Authority

Yes. The kit is through Dave B. I think the spacers are made from steel, and the springs are from Hypercoil. There are no ball joint spacers, I believe Travis' product has that patented. From what I remember Charlie saying he did not feel that the ball joint shims were paramount. Personally, I'd rather have the shims than not, but with Charlie having taken his truck to hell and back I'll trust his judgement. All and all my truck aligned to a fraction of the stock angles, so far the tires have not shown any odd wear.

-007=
Old 04-18-2008, 05:51 AM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROX

Rox, Do you still have the 37's on there? If so why not try getting some 39.5's-40's under there and see how you like that first? Like I said in the other thread I'd hate to see you have warranty issues over the lift. If you do go that route make sure to talk to your dealers service dept. first to make sure they aren't gonna hassle you about it.

-007=
Old 04-19-2008, 01:42 AM
Hummer Veteran

lvs is off the scale

Harely Dave, you haven't broken anything yet because you haven't been off-road since you had it installed. Ok, maybe you did a little, but not enough!!

FYI - I just got done having the Alpha rear close out pannel installed after a 2" body lift. It does not fit exactly. It had to be trimmed quit a bit around the mid section. Looks pretty good though.
Attached Images

Old 04-19-2008, 04:39 AM
Hummer Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvs
Harely Dave, you haven't broken anything yet because you haven't been off-road since you had it installed. Ok, maybe you did a little, but not enough!!

FYI - I just got done having the Alpha rear close out pannel installed after a 2" body lift. It does not fit exactly. It had to be trimmed quit a bit around the mid section. Looks pretty good though.

Ha! Since the lift, 3 trips to Moab and also Las Cruces Chile Challenge(where I did break a ujoint) is not enough? You're a hard woman to please!

Seriously though, I am currently gathering materials for a rear winch setup, rock ram, center the front diff, 12k brakes and axles, and 3.08 gears. I plan on making it out east next year for Kinslow and/or Windrock, depending on schedule. I'll probably make the post EJS Moab trip as well.

On the Alpha closeout, I thought about doing that as well but will probably end up raising the rear bumper instead for a better departure angle.
Old 04-19-2008, 05:32 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgharkness020147
Rox, Do you still have the 37's on there? If so why not try getting some 39.5's-40's under there and see how you like that first? Like I said in the other thread I'd hate to see you have warranty issues over the lift. If you do go that route make sure to talk to your dealers service dept. first to make sure they aren't gonna hassle you about it.
Yes, I still have 37's. I'll ask about the warranty, I kind of forgot about that. I just love this thing on the trail! Is there a certain width tire you would suggest I don't get? I like the new BFG KM2. (I had a set on my H2.) They come in 38x14.5x17 or 40x14.5x17. Think they're a tad too wide? Hence, the lifty-loo to get more clearance. IROK's are notoriously noisy on the road, and I do a LOT of hiway stuff as well as off road stuff. I was pleased with the way the Goodyears ran in Moab, and they're available in 40x13.5x17. They don't rub too bad huh?

BTW, Brad, I haven't ever read anything bad about Rubberducks lift yet, so I wouldn't feel like it wasn't money well spent if you decide to get one.
Old 04-19-2008, 05:36 PM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

Here's an '02 with 39's and no lift. It never rubbed.
Attached Images

Old 04-25-2008, 08:55 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTYFN
Here's an '02 with 39's and no lift. It never rubbed.
You know, those are the perfect fit, but I really don't want to run IROKS on my long trips.....I love them in the mud and I saw how good they were on the Rubicon, but the noise and the wear for hi-way driving would drive me CRAZY!

That's a cool pic tho. I like those 4door hartops.
Old 04-27-2008, 03:19 AM
Hummer Veteran

phazer42 is on a distinguished road

remember, manufactures have different ways to measure the tires... so a 39" tire from BF Goodrich isn't the same as a 39" tire from Good Year etc.....