H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 07-14-2006, 05:47 AM
Hummer Guru

Hmmm2 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Okay ... I'm calling GM now.

Thanks for your thoughts, rangerross. I ran it by the service writer today when she called to tell me my 3 might be ready tomorrow (after the hoodpaint job). She said the Hummer engineer will try to get to the dealer tomorrow (Friday) to check out my ongoing unresolved problem. I'm hoping. If he doesn't make it, we'll have to do it another day. <grrr> I'll keep you posted.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:10 AM
Hummer Veteran

Location: Northwest of Los Angeles, just outside all the traffic
Michael1 is on a distinguished road

I have to say, I have driven several H3s, and never noticed a grinding sound from the rear or anywhere else for that matter. I think the brakes are a good possibility. A lot of people forget brakes are part of the break-in process, too, and overuse them when new. That can put a glaze on the pad.

Michael
Old 07-14-2006, 06:19 AM
Hummer Guru

Michael1, I haven't off-roaded in mine. Street driving only...normal stops, not 'slam on the brake' stops. If I have to stop a little quicker than usual .. that's when I hear the grind. The grind began somewheres began the 9-10th month of ownership. If it was just a brake job, then they would have told me and done it already, in my opinion. I had it 12 days (after the rotor re-surface and the new pads), drove it only locally (no freeways) .. and the grind was back.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:57 AM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Rotor resurface on a new set of rotors Not good, and I don't believe that is GM's policy.
Ask the dealer if they have a set of Chassis Ears, and if so, did they use them, and if not, why not; they are a required tool for finding a noise.
It is a tool that has six leads that you attach at different locatios on the vehicle. The leads attach to a central box, that has headphones. Someone drives, you listen and change the channels (different leads are different channels). You narrow down exactly where the sound is coming from.
You might have to re-position the leads a few times, but the tool is fantastic to locate those weird sounds that bug the hell out of people.
Old 07-14-2006, 01:34 PM
Hummer Guru

Ipedog is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck. I hope that you get the resolution/satisfaction you're looking for.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:42 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop, thanks. When I took my 3 in for the first grind sound (June 6), I think I had approx. 12,000 miles. Can verify on the service write-up. I didn't even think about you had told me here. AGGGGGGGH!!!!!!!! Of course, if they thought it was a rotor and pad problem, they should have replaced the rotors and not re-surfaced them. They said they called Hummer Assist in when the pads were giving problems .. I wonder why Hummer Assist didn't just tell them to replace the rotors? Didn't fourfourto have his rotors replaced, too? I'm waiting to hear back from the dealer today .. whether the Hummer engineer made it there today to see my 3. Dealer still insisting up til yesterday that my grind is just a 'usual' sound. If I get the same story later today ... what do you think .. should I tell them they should have REPLACED the rotors and not re-surface them? Do I have any say with this after the fact? Sounding wimpy and I know it. I'm not wimpy in front of them, though.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:31 PM
Hummer Guru

fourfourto is an unknown quantity at this point

At 12,000 miles they replaced my pads and resurfaced my rotor.(there were no noticable groves)
Just turned 16,000 miles all seems fine.
The dealer had it done in about 1 and a half hours.

If problem comes back Ill insist on new rotors.

Hope they figure out your problem.
It does sound like the same problem I had , maybee I got lucky.
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:15 PM
Hummer Veteran

Sugardaddy is on a distinguished road

I had a problem a few years back with a Cadilliac Deville. Everything that one could imagine happened to that car. The final incident was when the block of the Northstar engine cracked. I contacted 1-800-my-lemon, and they handled it for me. The only thing that I had to do was to have, I believe it was, 3 repair orders for the same complaint. Because I'm not one to sue people at all, the deal that they made was that I could get another Cadilliac and turn the problematic car back in with no penalities of rolling the payment into the other car. Maybe this would work for you as well and you could get an H2.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:13 PM
Hummer Guru

I don't want to have to go that route, but, we'll see what happens. What a hassle this has been. I spoke to GM/Hummer yesterday AGAIN for 40 minutes. He agreed that I have a lot going on and is going to put together a 'ride along' with the field engineer, the service dept service mgr and me (driving), so they can hear what I hear .. AGAIN. He's supposed to call me back this afternoon. We'll see. You wouldn't believe how many hours.. days I've put into this .. back and forth, back and forth. This shouldn't be happening with a new vehicle. Thanks for your input. I'll keep it as an option. I'll keep you posted.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:48 PM
Hummer Authority

hmrlvr is an unknown quantity at this point

I've done the lemon law as well with GM but it's just a hassle. I'm sure you just want it fixed so you can enjoy your new truck. Good luck
Old 08-09-2006, 10:57 PM
Hummer Guru

Thanks and you're right. All I want is to have it fixed so I can enjoy it .. and then just do my routine maintenances. Last Sunday I had a couple of guys follow me into the dealer .. I was turning in to see if they had the 07's out yet. When I parked they asked EVERYTHING about mine and wondered if it was an '07. LOL. I keep it TOO clean, I think. Anyways, I took them in to see a sales guy I think is very helpful and he took it from there. I even have a stock of his business cards to give out when someone comes over to ask me about my H3. So, I love the product .. I just want mine to be all it should be and nothing less.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:51 AM
Hummer Veteran

Location: Northwest of Los Angeles, just outside all the traffic
Michael1 is on a distinguished road

A few things come to mind here. If it was a brake problem, the noise should change when brakes are applied versus released.

Does the sound change when making turns? If so you can narrow it down to bearings in the axle that provide side force.

Also sometimes you can jack it up with a frame hoist, run the engine with the trans in low gear, and listen with a sound probe to find a bad bearing in the axle.

Does the grinding noise pitch change much with speed? If so, it is probably a bad ring and pinion.

Michael
Old 08-11-2006, 06:33 AM
Hummer Guru

Michael1, the noise occurs just as I'm coming to a stop, ESPECIALLY when going downhill. I live on a hill, so most of my driving is around, up and down the hill. The service mgr doesn't hear it at sea level as much .. though it can still be heard if I do a hard stop for him. The sound isn't heard just driving, or turning right or left .. only when I come to a stop. It sort of grinds/moans at the last 10 seconds. Now it seems to even move something like an inch after I come to a complete stop. I can also hear a slight whine in the steering column when I turn or accerate. I have no idea if these two things have anything to do with one another. I'm taking the Service Mgr for another drive tomorrow, but this time on the hill. I asked that a Hummer mechanic come along, too. I can only hope that between the two of them they can solve this for me. Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 08-11-2006, 06:50 AM
Hummer Authority

hmrlvr is an unknown quantity at this point

fight on