H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 01-26-2006, 12:28 AM
Hummer Expert

walc is off the scale

I'm thinking of buying the oem under body shield kit, for Tellico, Paragon, etc.

Best price, I've found, is $307, which sounds pretty good.
I know that with my Jeep Wrangler Rubicon needed extra armor. Does the H3, in your experience, and is the oem 2 piece kit a good one?
TIA.

2008 Ford F250 Super Duty, 6.4L PSD, XLT, 4x4, LB.
2006 Hummer H2 SUT.
2003 Land Rover Discovery S.
2007 Mercedes Benz E350.
2006 BMW M3 Convertible.
2007 Harley Davidson FXD Dyna Super Glide.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:28 AM
Hummer Expert

walc is off the scale

I'm thinking of buying the oem under body shield kit, for Tellico, Paragon, etc.

I know that with my Jeep Wrangler Rubicon needed extra armor. Does the H3, in your experience, and is the oem 2 piece kit a good one?
TIA.

2006 Hummer H2 SUT.
2007 Mercedes Benz E350.
2006 BMW M3 Convertible.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:29 AM
Hummer Expert

walc is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by walc:

I know that my Jeep Wrangler Rubicon needed extra armor. Does the H3, in your experience, and is the oem 2 piece kit a good one?
TIA. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

2006 Hummer H2 SUT.
2007 Mercedes Benz E350.
2006 BMW M3 Convertible.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:31 AM
Hummer Authority

hmrlvr is an unknown quantity at this point

SLIGHTLY LESS EXPENSIVE HERE http://hummer.autowebaccessories.com/store/h3-under-bod...d1309_1316_13045.php
Old 01-26-2006, 12:39 AM
Hummer Expert

walc is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hmrlvr:
SLIGHTLY LESS EXPENSIVE HERE http://hummer.autowebaccessories.com/store/h3-under-bod...d1309_1316_13045.php </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the tip.
I'm into saving money.

2006 Hummer H2 SUT.
2007 Mercedes Benz E350.
2006 BMW M3 Convertible.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:18 AM
Hummer Expert

First Hummer is off the scale

http://hummerpartspeople.com/SearchProduct.asp?Model=H3...sc=Under+Body+Shield $297.50 here
Old 01-26-2006, 01:55 AM
Hummer Expert

walc is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by First Hummer:
http://hummerpartspeople.com/SearchProduct.asp?Model=H3...sc=Under+Body+Shield $297.50 here </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks very much.
You guys are saving me money.
Any idea if this stuff is any good?

2006 Hummer H2 SUT.
2007 Mercedes Benz E350.
2006 BMW M3 Convertible.
Old 01-26-2006, 04:26 AM
Hummer Authority

westhillsat is an unknown quantity at this point

Someone had a post on the forum that their H3 pivoted on one of the sheilds, which was better than having it pivot on the part the shield protects. They were very happy with the kit.

I had the dealer install before I picked mine up. The dealer charged $370 or so including installation.

When we were in Calgary, Alberta a couple of years ago with our Montero Sport there was a big piece of metal that must have fallen off the bottom of a semi, we couldn't swerve around it, I believe the shield under the truck then helped it from having any damage. These things can protect on road also
Old 01-26-2006, 06:38 AM
Hummer Professional

nmikes is off the scale

From personal experiance,the under carriage protection will hold your vehicle. I have gotten winched off rocks before and you can drag your vehicle on them and aside from your nerves as the rock scrapes along the underside of your vehicle you will be okay providing you don't get it snagged. I think a buddy of mine is going to come out with an aluminum plate to bolt over them to help prevent that. I've never seen or heard of it happening to a hummer but its not inconcievable.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:47 AM
Hummer Expert

DarthKarl is off the scale

The OEM rocker bars and UC protection are cheap insurance if you are going to do any serious off roading. Both OEM accessories are, in my opinion, very tough and well built. Right now you will not find any better after market products.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:08 AM
Hummer Authority

partsguy is an unknown quantity at this point

With their shipping it will cost you $2.00 off
retail The 1st site. The 2nd is much better.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:35 PM
Banned

HIHUMMER is an unknown quantity at this point

Walc, I too am looking into some underbody protection before Tellico. Keep me posted if you find something further. I'll do the same! Thanks!
Old 01-26-2006, 12:59 PM
Hummer Expert

walc is off the scale

Thanks very much everyone for the information. It is exactly what I needed to know.
This protection seems to be a good investment, even for moderate off-roading. Especially, because I have the oem 32" tires.
The best deal, including shipping, seems to be partsguy/Jeff.
HIHUMMER, I'll keep you posted. Please do likewise.

2006 Hummer H2 SUT.
2007 Mercedes Benz E350.
2006 BMW M3 Convertible.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:03 PM
Hummer Guru

RIC-H0 is an unknown quantity at this point

I my experience, the OEM stuff may hold you up for a little while, but is not the best stuff around. I know Rubberduck came out with a skid plate for the H2 that was far superior to the OEM cage. The OEM cage would definetly bend and buckle under the weight of the vehicle, but you were able to bend it back with a little force after your wheeling excursion. For an entry level underbody cage, I'd say its good to have, but shop around before you make the purchase, and see if there is something hevier duty that may cost a few hundred more, but will withstand the riggors of much abuse! IMO

Ric-H0
Old 01-26-2006, 02:35 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nmikes:
From personal experiance,the under carriage protection will hold your vehicle. I have gotten winched off rocks before and you can drag your vehicle on them and aside from your nerves as the rock scrapes along the underside of your vehicle you will be okay providing you don't get it snagged. I think a buddy of mine is going to come out with an aluminum plate to bolt over them to help prevent that. I've never seen or heard of it happening to a hummer but its not inconcievable. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>If you get snagged, just pull harder. I hate the sound of rocks scraping the underside of the truck...

P.S. Don't listen to Ric. He doesn't own a HUMMER.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:48 PM
Hummer Messiah

BTW, this is what I'm thinking about trying:

Taking some 1/4" plate and weld it to the stock UCP. Then cut some large holes for ventilation. Cheap and it should last a while.
Old 01-26-2006, 03:11 PM
Hummer Professional

ETD is an unknown quantity at this point

Could we please see some photo's of the "shield" in situ? BTW, I am puzzled that the shield looks more like a net than a shield. How can it protect the under carriage from debris or rocks? Or maybe they are more for crevasses and such like on the Hollister Hill pics that are posted. I was hoping for more plate-like shields.
H3Bas'r: Ready-Lift Levelled Superior Blue (debadged), Sun roof, Tinted, Mud mats, Wakizashi, front Husky flaps, Manik rocker bars, UCS, Tom Tom GPS for Treo, SuperSwampers Radial TSL, Rear Eaton Locker, PCMforless'd... but, alas, not waterproofed
Old 01-26-2006, 04:55 PM
Banned

HIHUMMER is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RIC-H2:
I my experience, the OEM stuff may hold you up for a little while, but is not the best stuff around. I know Rubberduck came out with a skid plate for the H2 that was far superior to the OEM cage. The OEM cage would definetly bend and buckle under the weight of the vehicle, but you were able to bend it back with a little force after your wheeling excursion. For an entry level underbody cage, I'd say its good to have, but shop around before you make the purchase, and see if there is something hevier duty that may cost a few hundred more, but will withstand the riggors of much abuse! IMO

Ric-H0 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You need to hurry up and get your A$$ to VA so you can make me some rock sliders!!!
Old 01-26-2006, 05:32 PM
Hummer Messiah

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HIHUMMER:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RIC-H2:

Ric-H0 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You need to hurry up and get your A$$ to VA so you can make me some rock sliders!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>What's he doing coming here? I don't want a Hummerless Texan moving in. Damn.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:34 PM
Hummer Messiah

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ETD:
BTW, I am puzzled that the shield looks more like a net than a shield. How can it protect the under carriage from debris or rocks? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Heat dissapation for the t-case and transmission.