H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 04-22-2006, 01:30 AM
Hummer Novice

H CUBED is off the scale

Does anyone know where mileage is stored? I do know that it's not the speedometer. Due to the fact that my H is only 6 months old and have 20k miles, I decided to purchase a speedo from a GMC Canyon from e-bay that claimed to have only 7k. The cluster worked fine but it displays my current milage.
Old 04-22-2006, 01:36 AM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

So basically what your are saying is you are trying to roll back your mileage?

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights
Old 04-22-2006, 01:47 AM
Hummer Expert

evldave is off the scale

Why would you want to change the mileage. That's crap. Go back to the Jeep forums, troll!
Old 04-22-2006, 02:40 AM
Hummer Professional

deicustoms1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I know where it's stored.

It's real easy to change, just goto the DMV and tell them you want it rolled back so you can sell it for more than it's worth. If they give you any crap, call the cops.
Old 04-22-2006, 03:32 AM
Hummer Veteran

HummerHawaii is off the scale

Isn't that supposed to be illegal in some state? Especially if you are registered with OnStar... They know.
Old 04-22-2006, 05:08 AM
Steve - SanJose

wtf, all this to roll back 13K miles?
Old 04-22-2006, 10:15 AM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by HummerHawaii:
Isn't that supposed to be illegal in some state? Especially if you are registered with OnStar... They know.

It is illegal in all states since it is a Federal Law as well as a state law in all states that I know of.
The mileage is held in the BCM, the cluster is just a dumb terminal that displays messages for the BCM.

Yes, OnStar does obtain documentation of your mileage, if you signed up for the montly reports, but not sure if they keep it on file. However, even if they did, they would not turn it over to a third party without a court order. Then again, a court order would probably be easy to obtain in a civil suit.
Old 04-22-2006, 04:09 PM
Hummer Guru

fourfourto is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
The mileage is held in the BCM, the cluster is just a dumb terminal that displays messages for the BCM.

You could change the BCM
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.
Old 04-22-2006, 10:45 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by fourfourto:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The mileage is held in the BCM, the cluster is just a dumb terminal that displays messages for the BCM.

You could change the BCM </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes you could, but you need a dealer to program it and they will not program a new BCM without first capturing the miles from the old BCM. If they cannot capture the miles, they must put a sticker on the vehicle, and put a note in your customer history file. That file is traceable.
Old 04-23-2006, 12:13 AM
Hummer Veteran

HummerHawaii is off the scale

Quote:
Originally posted by f5fstop:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by fourfourto:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The mileage is held in the BCM, the cluster is just a dumb terminal that displays messages for the BCM.

Yes you could, but you need a dealer to program it and they will not program a new BCM without first capturing the miles from the old BCM. If they cannot capture the miles, they must put a sticker on the vehicle, and put a note in your customer history file. That file is traceable. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

how the hell u know so much about this kine stuff, brah?
Old 04-23-2006, 12:48 AM
Hummer Professional

Idaho-Hummer is off the scale

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that he MIGHT work for, ummm, GM. Yeah, that's it.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:08 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by HummerHawaii:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by f5fstop:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by fourfourto:

Yes you could, but you need a dealer to program it and they will not program a new BCM without first capturing the miles from the old BCM. If they cannot capture the miles, they must put a sticker on the vehicle, and put a note in your customer history file. That file is traceable. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

how the hell u know so much about this kine stuff, brah? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I eat a lot of bananas, and fish; heavily seasoned with garlic (fish not bananas). Makes me smart, but keeps the women away.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:09 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by Idaho-Hummer:
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that he MIGHT work for, ummm, GM. Yeah, that's it.

Old 04-23-2006, 01:00 PM
Hummer Guru

DDWH is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by f5fstop:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HummerHawaii:

how the hell u know so much about this kine stuff, brah?

I eat a lot of bananas, and fish; heavily seasoned with garlic (fish not bananas). Makes me smart, but keeps the women away. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LMAO!

"OBAMA......Making Jimmy Carter LOOK GOOD!"
Old 04-28-2006, 07:40 PM
Hummer Veteran

GregDiesel is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by H CUBED:
Does anyone know where mileage is stored? I do know that it's not the speedometer. Due to the fact that my H is only 6 months old and have 20k miles, I decided to purchase a speedo from a GMC Canyon from e-bay that claimed to have only 7k. The cluster worked fine but it displays my current milage.

That shady trick doesn't work on newer vehicles, they were smart enough to start storing odo readings in the computer instead of the speedo. Good thing!

06 H3 lux black/black sunroof, auto, monsoon, trailer hitch, 18x9 MBM chrome wheels w/ Nitto Terra Grappler 325-60-18's, Steelcraft black taillight guards, MarkM's vinyl grille letters.

03 Nissan 350z touring, 6spd, 19" chrome wheels, many mods...
Old 04-28-2006, 10:40 PM
Hummer Guru

In some vehicles, it is easy to obtain another BCM from a junkyard with lower mileage, and install in your vehicle. Newer ones require a Tech 2 to program it to the system.
The H3 BCM, is one of GM's latest models. It cannot be swapped from one H3 to another. Once it is programmed with a VIN, it cannot be programmed to another VIN, unless it is erased by the manufacturer or their repair facility.
And all the computers, including the radio, XM, Onstar modules talk to each other and check each other out on the serial bus.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:32 AM
Hummer Guru

fourfourto is an unknown quantity at this point

Just put the truck up on jack-stands, throw it in reverse and watch those pesky miles just melt away....

This should work right...anybody....Bueller???

That only works in the movies.

Just install a flux capacitor and go back in time.
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.