H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 08-21-2005, 01:05 PM

Bill Kervaski is off the scale

My 06 SUT had some damage in shipping to the roof - a set of scratches down to th primer. Almost like someone 'keyed' the roof if that illustrates it. The dealer body shop touched it up and sanded/buffed it but it still looks horrible. They said the only thing they can do at this point is repaint the roof.

My question is, will I end up with more problems that I started with? This dealer has a great body shop and they do outstanding work, but something about 'baking' my truck at ~200 degrees makes me think there may be some collateral damange.

Would you guys get it repainted?
Old 08-21-2005, 01:05 PM

My 06 SUT had some damage in shipping to the roof - a set of scratches down to th primer. Almost like someone 'keyed' the roof if that illustrates it. The dealer body shop touched it up and sanded/buffed it but it still looks horrible. They said the only thing they can do at this point is repaint the roof.

My question is, will I end up with more problems that I started with? This dealer has a great body shop and they do outstanding work, but something about 'baking' my truck at ~200 degrees makes me think there may be some collateral damange.

Would you guys get it repainted?
Old 08-21-2005, 03:22 PM

/bump
Old 08-21-2005, 05:12 PM
Hummer Guru

VTSTOMPER is off the scale

Hey Bill,

Touch-up paint can be done well. Can you see the damage from the sides, or only from the top? I personally would not lose sleep over the scratches...HOWEVER: if they are going to do it for free I would have it done. If you are like me it would bother you every time you see the scratch, and you will say to yourself "why did i not get those things fixed?"

Also they bake the paint to make it dry quicker and look better! I hope this helps!
Old 08-21-2005, 05:12 PM

Yea, bare-frame.
Old 08-21-2005, 05:20 PM
Hummer Expert

Dug is off the scale

Bill, it wouldnt bother me if there were some scratches on the roof, especially if they had touched them up. Maybe instead of having them painted they would give you a few bucks back for having to live with them.
Old 08-21-2005, 05:41 PM

Like VSTOMPER, it will bug the hell out of me. I'm going to take it tomorrow and have them paint the roof.

Yea, for free, it was there when I got it.
Old 08-21-2005, 05:51 PM
Hummer Guru

VTSTOMPER is off the scale

Nice Bill - good choice!
Attached Images

Old 08-21-2005, 09:07 PM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

Make sure to check for overspray when they're done. You can always throw a GOBI Rack on there. That'll hide it.

Good luck.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:18 PM

MUH_HUM is off the scale

Say YES to a Gobi!
Old 08-22-2005, 01:59 AM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by timgco:
Make sure to check for overspray when they're done. You can always throw a GOBI Rack on there. That'll hide it.

Good luck. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>That was my first thought!
Old 08-22-2005, 02:47 AM
Hummer Authority

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ is off the scale

I would look at letting them touchup the scratch first with the understanding that if it did not look good they would paint the roof. If they are good it can be done and not hard but, takes patience. If they tape up everything around they will not get overspray and just try not to go bigger than needed to cover scratchs.
Reason being, painting the whole roof You run into trying to blend where the top meets the side. It can be done no problem up at the top and not down on the side. No way to get around it. It is much harder and more room for error.
If You like it and I had My preference I would ask them about a two tone so that they bring the second color down to a hard line on the body just under the windows. Your hood, top, and top part of Your bed gets the 2nd color. Will look sharp! The more of the vehicle that gets work the less likely for anyone to see anything. to much for the eye to look at. The best way to deal with the paint where it meets with 2 different colors is to ask them to go with a wide pinstripe usually nice contrasting color unlike the 2 colors on the truck. It is the way We get away with having 2 colors on the custom work. You lay down the pinstipe either paint which I recommend or can be a nice tape and tape works real good if done right and cannot tell it from paint and easier to get a straight line as it is already done for them but, either way You have them lay it down before they start shooting the clear coats. If done the way We do it You will not be able to even feel the tape if that is what is used and if it is painted stripe then they wet sand, blend and smooth it all out till it feels slick as glass. If tape You play with the clear so it fills the edges and when hand goes over it, smooth.
There are some colors that you can do what is called a hard line where the 2 colors meet better than others. It is basicly taking someone who is good at hand pinstriping and they blend the upper coat of paint right to the edge of the bottom color with a pinstripe brush or airbrush and not have a contrasting color to break the 2 tones apart, also looks real cool. Then You still have to wet sand and blend the touch together. The color We find in the H2's that lends itself best to this process is the Stealth Gray. We are doing ghost flames with many coats of clear on My Stealth Gray and will most likely have to hard line around the edges of the flame. We were looking at 2 toning My daughters customized Tiburon with white pearl and Stealth Gray on the top that on a line that Dragon came up with and to make the Stealth look good Our man was going to have to hard line it by hand right up to the white. She changed Her mind and now We are doing pearl with blue flake and a dark blue metalic that matches the blue flake. That is what got Me thinking about Your 2 tone on the scratch. Anyway You will not see a Tiburon that looks as nice as this one or very few anyway.

But, It is a great chance to get a 2 tone if You like them and they will go along with it. They look good.

TAZ
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Old 08-22-2005, 07:48 PM

Well, since there is plastic that divides the roof from the sides all around, and my truck is new, I didn't see an issue with the paint matching. My fear was when they baked it, that process might damage something else... @170 degrees... Wonder how well vehicles hold up under that kind of heat?
Old 08-22-2005, 11:53 PM
Hummer Authority

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ is off the scale

The plastic will take more than you realize and it can be removed while being baked. Setting in the sun it gets hot enough You would think it would melt. If they do it in a small spot they will put a sun lamp on that spot and not the whole rig. It is just for You to decide, they can do it right especailly the way you described there paint shop.
I was using the scratch as a reason to throw allot of excuses for a 2 tone if You wanted one. Even with plastic difference can be noticed. If they happen to not mix just right or any number of stupid things that can happen. The paint does not come in a gallon to spray on, they have to mix it and have or should have computers to mix as We do. But, even then computer can make mistake. Have seen it. I saw one rig which would not apply to you or Me but, they took all the black off and did 2 tone with no black left and painted the bumpers. Little on the extreme for Me but, if You can imagine it somebody can do it.
the best thing is rig is tall and hard to see the top but, I'm like you if i know it is there it bugs Me.
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Old 08-23-2005, 01:51 AM

LasVegas is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Kervaski:
Well, since there is plastic that divides the roof from the sides all around, and my truck is new, I didn't see an issue with the paint matching. My fear was when they baked it, that process might damage something else... @170 degrees... Wonder how well vehicles hold up under that kind of heat? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Move to Vegas and you'll know
Old 08-23-2005, 08:02 PM

Thanks all - it's in the shop now gettin' er done.

it's black, so mixing shouldn't be an issue ...