H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 12-21-2009, 12:57 PM
Elcova Rookie

GregAFATC is on a distinguished road
Default 2006 H3 won't start...

First off, I am stationed in Germany, so my options on fixing my H3 are limited. I recently had a Viper 5701 alarm/remote start put on my car by a private installer. Everything was working fine except occasionally when I remote started it and turned the key to on, the factory alarm locked light would stay on in the instrument panel. I would just press the brake, let it disengage the bypass, turn the vehicle off, restart it, and the light would go off this time. Now, yesterday I had the installer come over to hook up the wire so the heat will work when started. He was hooking up the accessory wire directly to each wire behind the 0,1,2,3,4 fan control to figure out which one he needed. He started the car with remote start, the heat turned on for a few seconds then cut off, he then turn the switch from 4 to 0 and the car shut down. Now the car won't start at all. When I put the key in the ignition, the lights, radio, and insrument cluster all work. The factory alarm lock light DOES NOT stay on and turns off like normal. When trying to crank the car it does not make any sound except I can hear something running when I lean down in the passenger floorboard(maybe on the passenger side under the hood). My car is automatic and the shifter WILL NOT move out of Park at all. The instrument cluster flashes ABS FAIL, BRAKE FAIL, and TCS FAIL(or something very close to that nature). I have no idea what is going on and my installer is not sure either. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Greg
Old 12-21-2009, 01:11 PM
Hummer Guru

wpage is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 2006 H3 won't start...

Blown fuse
(John 3:16)
2006 H3 Slate Blue,Header,Jacked,CAI,Toyo35's,HHO.
Priors...
Explorer
Commander
71 Vette
You Name it!
Old 12-21-2009, 01:14 PM
Elcova Rookie

We checked the fuses for the alarm and bypass and they are all good. Any other fuses you recommend I check? Thanks!

Greg
Old 12-21-2009, 01:54 PM
Hummer Veteran

DAGKANA is on a distinguished road

Greg I bet with him monkey-ing around under the hood and switching stuff around he messed up the signal to the PCM... there's no way that all those error messages would just appear if you weren't wheelin your rig hard, its an electrical issue, obviously, but the only time Ive had that happen is when a connection went bad on my PCM...
315/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers on OEM black Powder Coated Rims/ Bilstein Cognitos w/ Trail Duty 1/2" Bump Stops/ BA Winch Bumper & Motoalliance Viper 12,000lb Winch/ Warn Hawse Fairlead / Manik Black Powder Coated Hood Handles/ Steelcraft Tail Light Guards/ Predator Motorsports Black Powder Coated Locking Fuel Door/ General Motors OEM Under Carriage Protection/ General Motors Rocker Panel Protection / BA Rear Shock Mount Skid Plates/ 60" Hi Lift Jack Extreme/
Old 12-21-2009, 03:45 PM
Elcova Rookie

Ok I went through every fuse one by one and found 2 fuses blown and replaced them. Last night it was dark and we must have missed them. The Ignition fuse was blown and when we replaced it started right up. Unfortunately, the hood pin switch broke and now it won't start at all again. At least now it is trying to start though. Is it because the bypass is not functioning properly without the hood pin switch? I am wondering if this is not allowing it to arm/disarm the factory Passlock system. We even tried grounding the hood pin switch wire, but nothing. I really don't know a whole lot about this stuff, but I kind of usually just figure it out. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Greg
Old 12-21-2009, 07:45 PM
Elcova Rookie

Update: I let my car sit for a few hours and went back outside to start it. I unlocked it with the Viper remote and the factory horn alarm went off, so then had to press unlock with the factory remote. I put the key in and it started right up. Now in the instrument cluster it says, "TRACTION FAIL, SERVICE, and STAB SYS FAIL." I drove it around the block really quick to see if it drove normal and it seemed to drive fine. When I parked it, I tried to turn on the radio and there was no sound, but everything else about the radio seemed fine. I just have all kinds of things going wrong, but at least I am making progress. Please help me figure this out as I can't just take it to the dealership. Thank you!

Greg
Old 12-21-2009, 07:59 PM
Hummer Guru

wpage is on a distinguished road

With those codes...You probably have no brake lites due to another blown fuse...
(John 3:16)
2006 H3 Slate Blue,Header,Jacked,CAI,Toyo35's,HHO.
Priors...
Explorer
Commander
71 Vette
You Name it!
Old 12-21-2009, 08:13 PM
Elcova Rookie

I checked the brake lights and they work fine.
Old 12-22-2009, 05:59 AM
Hummer Authority

marin8703 is an unknown quantity at this point

The relation between the dash error messages is the Electronic Brake Control Module. There are probably codes stored in the computer. Check it out, if there are any they will help you localize your problem. Also I would guess that these are dues to a loose connector or cut wire or something like that due to the install, good idea to recheck the whole underdash area since there are steering/brake sensors located there wich the EBCM uses.

I have the Viper 5900 installed and whenever I use both factory and Viper alrams, the factory alarm locks out the fuel pump. If your H3 cranks, after cranking check around the truck if you smell gas, if you dont smell any gas after a decent crank then your fuel pump is being locked out by factory alarm.

The only function of the hood pin is to prevent the remote start from starting when the hood is open. Safety feature.

good idea to check:
>>Fuse 29-EBCM
>>Fuse 52-EBCM+Sensors
>>Fuse 58-TCCM switch
>>Fuse 64-EBCM
>>Fuse 67-EBCM
>>Relay 66-Fuel Pump/Pump Fuse (if you dont smell gas)
>>Relay 87-ABS as well as otehr stuff

wont hurt to have a look at those make sure they work.

Edit: also if installer removed/disassembled teh fusebox to route or tap into fuses, recheck if the top portion of the fusebox reseated properly into the two connectors underneath.

Last edited by marin8703 : 12-22-2009 at 06:30 AM.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:00 PM
Elcova Rookie

Ok, I got it fixed and I am an idiot. When checking each individual fuse I put 2 back in the wrong places accidentally. I realized this because one I put back wrong was the amplifier fuse, so no sound when I turned the radio on. Thank you all for your help! Also, does anyone know how to run the wire for the remote start that will activate the heat/air without the key in the ignition? Thanks again!
Old 12-24-2009, 05:50 AM
Hummer Authority

marin8703 is an unknown quantity at this point

Depends very much on how your alarm/remote start is currently wired, but check out the power diagram at the link, should be usefull.

http://test.hummeranswers.com/index.php?option=com_phocadownload&view=category&i d=5:distribution&Itemid=55
Old 04-28-2010, 03:19 PM
Elcova Newbie

brunoso is on a distinguished road

I had a very simular problem. At the end it was the foot parking brake that had peeled the cables that are situated behind the spring on the parking brake under the steering wheel column.