H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 09-03-2005, 02:38 AM
Hummer Expert

GeorgeSSSS is off the scale

Friends:

In previous posts, some have said their AC is not cold enough; some have it was too cold; some have said it was intermittantly too cold and not cold enough. The most effective remedy seemed to be putting more air through the radiator with electric fans. I was all set to buy a Flex-A-Lite model 282 electric engine fans kit (dual 19" fans in an exact-fit shroud for the H2) because my AC sometimes wasn't cold enough. But first, I wanted to give the existing factory system a test on a hunting trip to Yuma AZ where it's routinely over 105 degrees. Here's what I learned.

The coolness at the AC output seems to be a function of the vent control icon on the dash board (the side view of a seated person with arrows pointing at his face and/or knee). If the only arrow on the screen is the one pointing horizontally at the icon's face, the air coming from the four round vents on the dash board is very cold. If the arrows are pointing horizontally to his face and vertically down at his knee, the air is about half as cool (not very cool at all). In either setting, you can improve cooling by turning on the air recirculation mode.

The drive from my home near Los Angeles to Yuma is just a bit over four hours. It took me quite a while fooling around with the vent control to figure out what is stated in the second paragraph of this posting. I tried to eliminate as many variables as possible by doing as much testing as I could on flat roads and at temperatures over 100 degrees. With the icon pointing only horizontally at the person's face and using the recirculation mode, we were able to cool the H2 down as much as we wanted, quickly, with no problems.

Throughout our driving in Yuma, on road and off, my engine temperature increased only very slightly when I had the AC on full blast and the car was sitting still.

Based on the above, I am not going to install dual electric fans. I may change my mind later, but for now, that's the decision. I hope this helpful. I'd be curious to hear other peoples' experiences using the above settings. I hope others have the same experience and we can increase the forum members' comfort and save them some money.

Best regards,

George SSSS
Black 2005 Adventure Series; factory touch screen GPS w/XM radio; factory express open/close sunroof; reclining second row seats; Warn 9.5ti Multi-Mount Winch; Gobi Stealth roof rack with PIAA lights; HotShot windshield washer fluid system
Old 09-03-2005, 02:38 AM
Hummer Expert

Friends:

In previous posts, some have said their AC is not cold enough; some have it was too cold; some have said it was intermittantly too cold and not cold enough. The most effective remedy seemed to be putting more air through the radiator with electric fans. I was all set to buy a Flex-A-Lite model 282 electric engine fans kit (dual 19" fans in an exact-fit shroud for the H2) because my AC sometimes wasn't cold enough. But first, I wanted to give the existing factory system a test on a hunting trip to Yuma AZ where it's routinely over 105 degrees. Here's what I learned.

The coolness at the AC output seems to be a function of the vent control icon on the dash board (the side view of a seated person with arrows pointing at his face and/or knee). If the only arrow on the screen is the one pointing horizontally at the icon's face, the air coming from the four round vents on the dash board is very cold. If the arrows are pointing horizontally to his face and vertically down at his knee, the air is about half as cool (not very cool at all). In either setting, you can improve cooling by turning on the air recirculation mode.

The drive from my home near Los Angeles to Yuma is just a bit over four hours. It took me quite a while fooling around with the vent control to figure out what is stated in the second paragraph of this posting. I tried to eliminate as many variables as possible by doing as much testing as I could on flat roads and at temperatures over 100 degrees. With the icon pointing only horizontally at the person's face and using the recirculation mode, we were able to cool the H2 down as much as we wanted, quickly, with no problems.

Throughout our driving in Yuma, on road and off, my engine temperature increased only very slightly when I had the AC on full blast and the car was sitting still.

Based on the above, I am not going to install dual electric fans. I may change my mind later, but for now, that's the decision. I hope this helpful. I'd be curious to hear other peoples' experiences using the above settings. I hope others have the same experience and we can increase the forum members' comfort and save them some money.

Best regards,

George SSSS
Black 2005 Adventure Series; factory touch screen GPS w/XM radio; factory express open/close sunroof; reclining second row seats; Warn 9.5ti Multi-Mount Winch; Gobi Stealth roof rack with PIAA lights; HotShot windshield washer fluid system
Old 09-03-2005, 03:00 AM

mr.jeepster is off the scale

Okay, I'm gonna test this out myself, becasue I have a GMC Sierra pick-up that blows FREEZING cold air and my H2 gets cool at best. Thanks for the info!
Old 09-03-2005, 03:03 AM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

It also helps if you hit the recirculated air button.
Old 09-03-2005, 03:06 AM
Hummer Authority

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ is off the scale

Tried what You mentioned and did not help.
When dual electric fans were added got much more flexibility in AC control as it got cooler and I could adjust to meet need using autotemp settings. No more running wide open blower and recirculate all the time.
Just My experience and would imagine any number of different experiences.

TAZ
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Old 09-03-2005, 03:19 AM
Hummer Veteran

trashguy is off the scale

mines coldest when the temp is set to 60 and the recirculate button is on, if i hit the snowflake button its not as cold?
Old 09-03-2005, 04:15 AM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by trashguy:
mines coldest when the temp is set to 60 and the recirculate button is on, if i hit the snowflake button its not as cold? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
If you hit the "snowflake button" and the snowflake lights up you're turning off the a/c. You have to look carefully at the snowflake- there's a tiny slash through it. Very misleading and contradictory to other GM vehicle a/c systems.
Old 09-03-2005, 05:13 AM
Hummer Authority

Albie is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DRTYFN:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by trashguy:
mines coldest when the temp is set to 60 and the recirculate button is on, if i hit the snowflake button its not as cold? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
If you hit the "snowflake button" and the snowflake lights up you're turning off the a/c. You have to look carefully at the snowflake- there's a tiny slash through it. Very misleading and contradictory to other GM vehicle a/c systems. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
no sh1t .... just thought my Hummer was a blonde with nice tits ( * ) ( * ) THose are the front middle air vents.....
Old 09-03-2005, 11:33 AM
mstams

On my first truck, an '03 SUV, the snowflake light always stayed on even though the system operated properly otherwise. On my '05 SUT, the snowflake light works properly, but the truck only cools well when set to 60 and recirculate air is on. I think I liked it better before...
Old 09-03-2005, 02:48 PM

ARH1956 is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GeorgeSSSS:
Friends:

Best regards,

George SSSS </div></BLOCKQUOTE>If anyone has been griping about their A/C performance without making the most basic checks as described in this post please don't tell anyone, LOL.
I'm one who has installed Flex 282's & they are the real fix for A/C performance. My H2's A/C performed fine when on the highway, or whenever moving 20 mph or better. But, when idling in traffic with the blower on high, set on 60*, recirc mode, air all on dash vents & the vents blowing right on me it would keep me from sweating profusely, but just barely. And the rear seat passengers would get very warm. As soon as you got moving along again all was acceptable.

After installing the Flex-A-Lite 282's the A/C works better sitting & idling than did previously when on the highway.

If your A/C works acceptably, cool, literally, LOL. If it does not the electric fans will remedy the problem.
Old 09-03-2005, 02:49 PM
Hummer Professional

Longhorn is off the scale

I live in Austin where its humid and hot! My truck is black (03) and I do park outside at my office. I've never had a problem cooling my truck down.

In the summer I run it on 70, recirculate, blower at level 3 or 4 and I'm comfortable in a long-sleeve shirt/tie.

No complaints here!
Old 09-03-2005, 03:25 PM
Hummer Professional

alldunn is off the scale

OK guys this seems like a logical thread to post in since I just got my truck back today from the dealer because it was having A/C problems. It wasn't going into recirculate mode, the light was just flashing on and off. Well since they have supposedly fixed it (replaced the HVAC module and recir acturator motor) the recirculate button stays on all the time, but it doesn't seem louder when in that mode like it used to. I also now have the snowflake icon in the window where I used to have nothing, except a slash through the snowflake when it was off. Is this something new or what? I can take a pic if needed. The recirculate problem still sounds a little off to me what do you guys think? This is in auto mode also just FYI.
Old 09-03-2005, 06:27 PM
Hummer Expert

I have an 05 H2. There is no difference in sound (so far as I can tell) when recirc is on.

In my H2, when you turn off the AC, the snowflake disappears (screen has a blank spot).

Re the Flex-A-Lite 282: I am sure installing it will make the AC run cooler. My prior SUV had dual electric fans and they worked like a charm. I've also read posts saying that with electric fans in the H2 you get about 1 mpg improvement (i.e., they actually pay for themselves)and you get better acceleration from freeing up 17 hp (5.23% of the engine's total of 325 hp). The electric Flex-A-Lite definitely has benefits.

From my perspective, my factory clutching fan unit is working fine (the same technology as on my BMW 740i), so I won't "fix it." For someone else, the balance might tip the other way.

That's the great thing about this forum. You can get alot of experience without spending any money.

George SSSS
Old 09-03-2005, 06:49 PM
Hummer Professional

alldunn is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GeorgeSSSS:
I have an 05 H2. There is no difference in sound (so far as I can tell) when recirc is on.

In my H2, when you turn off the AC, the snowflake disappears (screen has a blank spot).

George SSSS </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's the way it was in the 04 Yukon they gave me to drive while the H2 was in the shop. Does the recirculate light stay on after it comes on in auto mode? As previously stated, it stayed on the whole way home from the dalership (about a 50mi drive), but it's not really that hot here today (about 85). Thanks for the input.
Old 09-03-2005, 06:53 PM
Hummer Authority

H2Finally is an unknown quantity at this point

My A/C used to work perfectly. Then I brought my rig in for 30K service, and I noticed they "fixed" something in my A/C unit. Now it does NOT cool down well at all. Not hot, just not the icebox I'm used to... Back to the dealership Monday...
Old 09-03-2005, 07:04 PM
Hummer Expert

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alldunn:

George SSSS </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's the way it was in the 04 Yukon they gave me to drive while the H2 was in the shop. Does the recirculate light stay on after it comes on in auto mode? As previously stated, it stayed on the whole way home from the dalership (about a 50mi drive), but it's not really that hot here today (about 85). Thanks for the input. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Alldunn: I have never seen the recirc light in my H2 flash. It either comes on as a constant light (automatically or manually) or it is dark.

George SSSS
Old 09-03-2005, 07:06 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Never had any issues with the A/C. Park in the shade more often.
Old 09-03-2005, 07:52 PM
Hummer Guru

Spike is an unknown quantity at this point

I always have my air set on recirculate with the dash vents open only. I also have one of those air conditioning thermometers that I keep in one of the vents. Most of this summer it was 90 plus degrees here. The air coming out of the vents at highway speeds is usually around 48-50 degrees. It gets a little warmer, (around 60 degrees) when driving in stop and go traffic or when idling.
Old 09-03-2005, 08:22 PM
Hummer Professional

alldunn is off the scale

I guess the newer AC setup is slightly different than the older setup then...as long as it work is all I care about. Thanks guys for the info.

Ken: you haven't drove your truck enough to have any issues.
Old 09-03-2005, 09:07 PM
Hummer Professional

Fastest H-Town Realtor is off the scale

Although my A/C has never had a problem cooling down my white 05 H2, the best A/C "mod" I have done is to tint the windows. I never turn down the air below 72 with the recerc "on".

George-If you cannot hear a difference when recirculate is on, there may be a problem. There is a audable difference when it is on.

Have-08 Titan C/C,06 GCSRT-425FTLB & AWD, other junk..
Want-08 Viper, 06 M5