H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 03-12-2004, 04:15 PM
Hummer Professional

H2_SUT_SC is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KenP:
Here is a pic of mine. It is LPE's install. Engine HP came in between 530-540 hp. The range is used because it was done on a chassis dyno and an estimate of driveline lose was used. I will have the exact dyno numbers soon as they were mailed a couple of days ago.

I have a 2800 Yank converter, cam pistons, ported heads, the works. My truck dynoed at a higher HP than the one tested by Motor Trend that ran 14.4 sec 1/4 times.

I have been running 9 lbs of boost. It will leave four black marks on the pavement.

I must warn you that it does create quite a racket when you mash the throttle. You cannot hear cell phone conversations.

If you have any questions I will be glad to help. My salesman's name at LPE is Tim. You can also speak to Ed. They both know me and are very friendly and helpful. Further, when I had some issues they sent a truck to pick it up, fixed it and shipped it back to me. All under warranty. The dealer even covered all recent repairs under warranty and said it was the best install they had ever seen. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is so bad ass! That was my first idea was I was actually going to buy my SUT from a dealership in IN and have LPE pick it up and do all the work you had done. Basically the H2 package. But I called Jim at LPE and he said that they can't touch Cali vehicles due to our screwed up smog emmissions. I almost contemplated having it registered in Nevada just to get it done.

Did you get the HD tranny done? Also, are you able to run 9 lbs of boost because you upgraded the engine internals?
Old 03-12-2004, 04:23 PM
Hummer Professional

H2 Bill is an unknown quantity at this point

LAPD, I believe, is in the northern section of L.A.. I would love to go and use their dyno but I am in the busy part of my season at work so it is hard to get away.
Generally a higher stall torque converter does not engage your transmission until a higher rpm, thereby using more useable torque when you launch and shift gears. It usually gives more of a harsh shift though, in turn creating more wear and tear on the entire driveline. This is an extremely simplified description of how they work!
Attached Images

1970 Trans Am balanced, blueprinted, ceramic headers, etc.
Old 03-12-2004, 05:35 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

H2SUTSC: This is THE H2 site.

Yes I had the trans done. It was really a no brainer. LPE highly recommended it due to the huge power increase and they warrant their work. With the SC alone a total HD rebuild is probably unnecessary.

Bill is right with his "simplified discription". Just imagine stepping on the gas and the truck not really moving until it gets to 2800rpm. The engine "flashes" to that rpm and away you go. Drop the clutch an a stick at 2800 and you will understand. Though it is not quite the same.

Around town the rig has very docile manners, except for the volumn and shift points . You really would not notice a difference with the converter alone. I have had higher stall converters in other vehicles, but did not notice a harsher shift at first. However, usually when a converter is installed a shift kit or reprogramming is done to the trans so a different shift pattern will occur. You will then have a harsher shift.

With my truck the shifts occur at a much higher RPM than normal, then bang into the next gear. They do not "slide" gear to gear. But that is what I wanted. It can be programmed anyway you want it.

I am going out shortly. I will try to remember to jot down the shift points of normal around town driving for you and post later.
Old 03-12-2004, 06:42 PM
Hummer Professional

That sounds similar to what I did with my Denali. I used the Predator programmer to recalibrate shifting points and the truck now waits longer to shift into the next gear. It helped out tremendously as before it shifted way too soon and I was constantly fighting the truck to downshift/upshift/downshift/upshift. Now it just cruises until it hits a higher rpm and then shifts.

However, I thought with the reprogram of the CPU when they install the Magna, that it would do the same thing.
Old 03-12-2004, 08:26 PM
Hummer Messiah

The local dealer just installed an Eaton. They did not reprogram the computer and I think it is a waste of money until then. The buyers had ridden in my truck just days before and could not wait for theirs. Oh, are they going to be disappointed. They can't even chirp the tires from a standstill.

Under mild acceleration I would go to 31-3500 for the 1-2 shift, 27-3k for the 2-3. That is accelerating with traffic.
Old 03-12-2004, 08:46 PM
Hummer Professional

The dealer I spoke to said they do the computer reporgram along with the larger injectors with the Magna they install. They've also apparently been installing quite a few. At this point I think I'll just go that route even though I'd much prefer to have LPE do that package. If it wasn't for CA's damn emissions crap. You'd think Arnold being the Hummer man would nix all that.
Old 03-12-2004, 08:49 PM
Hummer Messiah

This dealer had not done one. This was right after the install. I hope they reprogrammed it for them.
Old 03-12-2004, 11:48 PM
Hummer Expert

Hummer Man is off the scale

This is one area where you cannot spend to much. BUY the very best unit you can afford or have custom made for you!
Old 03-13-2004, 01:45 AM

CRUZMISL is off the scale

The dealer will reprogram your puter with a generic file that comes with the kit. What you need to do is have someone monitor the air fuel ratio, timing and a host of other things to truly fine tune it to your vehicle. IF your dealer does this then you're very lucky.

As far as torque converters go, it is really an art. When you add a converter alone the shift points are actually softer which is why you need to add a shift kit. Also a shift kit will allow much less slipping between gear changes. This in turn lowers heat which is good for reliability. There is a balance though. I don't want to have to wear a neck collar when i drive

THe explanation of what a converter does is accuarte but simplified. The reason it adds more stress on the driveline is because it lays down huge power from a stop. WHen your trucj weighs 7000lbs and is 4 wheel drive you can start to see where really aggressive starts can cause problems. Now if you have the power Ken has who cares because you simply ignite the tires from a stop. That is about as cool as it gets.

Joe
Old 03-13-2004, 08:50 PM

CRUZMISL is off the scale

H2_SUT_SC, her eis a dyno of a whipple done by DTE. Not too shabby at all.

Joe.
Old 03-22-2004, 04:27 PM
Hummer Professional

Well guys I did it. Put my deposit down on the Stealth Grey (blue/grey) SUT on Sat. I get it on May 13th. I'm the first one to get it at a very large Cali dealership so I'm sure it will be one of the first in Cali. I'm having the Magna installed along with the Corsa exhaust and Volant cold air intake. I'm also going with these rims 20" with the 325/60/20 Nitto Terra Grapplers. They had the Nittos and the Toyos at the dealership and I thought the Nitto's looked sick in real life.

http://www.kmcwheels.com/kmcweb_imag...ges/ult_h2.jpg
Old 03-22-2004, 04:34 PM
Hummer Expert

Hummer Man is off the scale

CRUZMISL, You are right on the money!
Old 03-22-2004, 05:07 PM
Circuitguy

I'm installing the Magnacharger on my H2 in about a week, I will let you all know how it goes. BIG-C
Old 12-01-2004, 08:19 PM

H2 Passion is off the scale

BIG-C,

How was the installing of your Magnacharger? are you happy? there was any problem after?

elie