H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 01-22-2004, 12:07 PM

Bad Dawg is off the scale

Just got my new Four Wheeler mag last night. A couple of pages near the front are two adds for American Racing teflon coated wheels. This may not be new to some folks here but I haven't seen them talked about yet. They are also listed towards the rear in the new products section. They are BLACK for all you folks out there looking at ways to powder coat, black chrome or paint their wheels. If they are as tough as I would think they would be then all that mud and crud would be soooo easy to clean up and keep the wheels in balance. Check them out:

You can never have enough horsepower! Yellow LUX, Airforce intake, stainless headers and exhaust, Gobi rack and ladder, roof mounted off road lights, full wrap brush guard, rear light guards, outside tire carrier, Rancho 4" suspension lift, Ultra "EN4CER" 17x9 wheels, Goodyear 37/12.50R17 MT/R tires, removed side-step bars, 9.5ti warn multi-mount winch.
Attached Images

Just got my new Four Wheeler mag last night. A couple of pages near the front are two adds for American Racing teflon coated wheels. This may not be new to some folks here but I haven't seen them talked about yet. They are also listed towards the rear in the new products section. They are BLACK for all you folks out there looking at ways to powder coat, black chrome or paint their wheels. If they are as tough as I would think they would be then all that mud and crud would be soooo easy to clean up and keep the wheels in balance. Check them out:

You can never have enough horsepower! Yellow LUX, Airforce intake, stainless headers and exhaust, Gobi rack and ladder, roof mounted off road lights, full wrap brush guard, rear light guards, outside tire carrier, Rancho 4" suspension lift, Ultra "EN4CER" 17x9 wheels, Goodyear 37/12.50R17 MT/R tires, removed side-step bars, 9.5ti warn multi-mount winch.

Next Pic:

Attached Images

Old 01-22-2004, 12:08 PM

Oh, they come in 16" 17" and 18"

Old 01-22-2004, 02:23 PM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you ever seen someone use a fork to stir something in a teflon coated pan? It scratches.

Those wheels look great, but the price is probably much higher than powdercoating. Cleaning might be easier. Before you go wheeling you could spray them with Pam cooking spray first so the dirt would just slide right off.

S&B Member since '03
Old 01-22-2004, 02:44 PM
Hummer Guru

Klaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey, just ride you brakes and you can fry up an egg!

Klaus

Rare 2003 H2 with UM8 Integrated Navigation Radio
Skull & Bones Member since 2003
Old 01-22-2004, 02:56 PM

DRTYFN - I had the same thoughts, but something tells me American Racing has worked this out better than a cheap frying pan. The add says they have been working with Dupont to get it right. I would volunteer to test them.

I was just thinking that if someone was in the market for a new set of wheels and wanted black ones these sounded interesting. They are painted first then coated with the teflon. I like the idea of them doubleing as a camp skillet though (if I could figure out how to keep stuff from falling through the holes.

Old 01-23-2004, 12:57 AM
Hummer Messiah

I'm just looking from the persective of repairing them after dinging them up. All I have to do is fill the ding, smooth it out and have it recoated. Maybe $50-75/wheel.
I'm wondering how much it would cost and how difficult it would be to fix one of those wheels.
I do think the idea is interesting, though. I'd like to hear how durable they are.

S&B Member since '03
Old 01-23-2004, 01:47 AM

Hummerdad is off the scale

DRTYFN

What tires are you running?
Old 01-23-2004, 02:56 AM

FrgMstr is off the scale

Total investment in the wheel and powder coating = $85/rim. That included cost of the rim, shipping, pc, and blasting. Kinda hard to argue with that. And they held up great even getting slammed around a bunch this weekend.

I just bought 20 sets and am going to sell them on ebay and see how it goes. Thought it would be a fun side project.

My job: http://www.HardOCP.com
Attached Images

Old 01-23-2004, 03:40 AM
Hummer Guru

Spike is an unknown quantity at this point

FrgMst,
Any special pricing outside of ebay for forum members?

S&B Member
Old 01-23-2004, 04:11 AM

FrgMstr is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Spike:
FrgMst,
Any special pricing outside of ebay for forum members?

S&B Member<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have to get cost down solid first, but I will give you guys first shot at them. I sanded and painted my own centercaps and need to get them done professionally for others and I am unsure as to the cost. My garage has been doubling as a paint booth lately and my wife is not too keen on that. I can only imagine if she finds me prepping 88 endcaps on the kitchen table.

Old 01-23-2004, 04:26 AM
Hummer Messiah

Is that finish textured?

S&B Member since '03
Old 01-23-2004, 04:29 AM

FrgMstr is off the scale

Yes it is. Matches the rocker bars almost perfectly.

Old 01-23-2004, 12:27 PM

Last weekend I bought a can of Dupli-Color's Truck Bed Coating (aerosol can) to shoot the bezel surround on my mud race rig. It has a rather course texture but I was wondering if anyone has tried using this on any wheels? It's some pretty tough stuff, like Rhino coating or Line-X. Cost $8 a can. Seems like a cheap alternative to $85 a wheel to recoat powder coating for those folks who beat up their wheels on a regular basis.
http://duplicolor.anthonythomas.com/.../truckbed.html

Old 01-23-2004, 02:17 PM

FrgMstr is off the scale

You have a great idea there, and I fully looked into it before PC and did follow the idea up with professionals in my area with both Rhino and Line-X.

Bottom line is this. The stuff peels off fairly easily if you do any kind of wheeling. Should you not mind repairing the stuff all the time and having a bed liner finish, then more power to you.

There is a H2 at a local dealer that has had every black part on it covered in Rhino. It is novel, but in the end the PC looks much more professional in my opinion and is a more enduring finish without a doubt.

I would suggest just spray painting them black yourself before using bed liner, that would be even cheaper and probably more durable.

Old 01-23-2004, 03:18 PM
Hummer Guru

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

I like that slightly textured look in that pic a lot.

-------------------------------------------------
SUT on order 12/02. 13 months down, 5 to go!
-------------------------------------------------
S&B Member Since 2003
Old 01-23-2004, 03:32 PM

I'm surprised that you found out that it peels off "easily". I'm not into the bed liner look on my H2 (or any rig. I've seen entire trucks painted with the stuff). I was just thinking that if folks are constantly doing heavy wheeling that will chip the PC all the time it would end up costing a lot. I've had nerf bars, bumpers, side steps etc. all covered with PC and it only takes one rock kicked up to chip the PC in nothing flat. It does look good though before it chips. Truck bed liner won't chip at least. (wow, it really does peel off huh?? Amazing). So I guess I shouldn't use it on my race rig wheels?

Attached Images

Old 01-23-2004, 03:48 PM
Hummer Professional

H2 Bill is an unknown quantity at this point

Another use for the bedliner is for your removable side steps. If yours have started peeling it works great as a refinish PLUS it makes it non-slip! My wife complained about how slippery they were all of the time until I re-finished them.

2003 H2 Hummer, Yellow,Polished Whipple Supercharged, Edelbrock ceramics, catback,18" Ambush w/mudders,lots of goodies!
Y2K Corvette Millennium Yellow Convert/Blk/Blk, B&B headers, B&B Tri-Flo's, H-Tech MAG,GMS MAF, RM Racing TwinFlow.
1994 Chev 454 Suburban, Blown, Doug Thorley
1970 Trans Am, balanced, blue printed, Hooker ceramics

www.4swimwear.com
1970 Trans Am balanced, blueprinted, ceramic headers, etc.
Old 01-23-2004, 04:00 PM

FrgMstr is off the scale

No by all means, if it works for you that is great. I do not have any personal experience, just passing along what the oldest Rhino liner dealer in my area had to say.

I am not sure but it seems a coating that heavy on the wheels might lead to balance issues as well, but that is just a guess.

On a personal note, I think the Rhino liner on the wheels do not look "good" and the PC does. To each his own. I won't force you to buy any PC wheels if you don't come to my house and Rhino all my rims!!!