H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 01-12-2006, 12:53 AM
Hummer Guru

DDWH is an unknown quantity at this point

I am waiting for you now Pics would be cool! I was thinking there should be room behind the radio and or glove box for the xm box and interface box. Not sure how long the cables are. Another option depending on length of cables is to mount the xm reciever under the center console. I could be wrong but i think I saw a picture and it seemd to have room. Both kodiakz and Klaus have done the install so they would have good ideas on mounting locations.

"OBAMA......Making Jimmy Carter LOOK GOOD!"
Old 01-12-2006, 12:59 AM
Hummer Veteran

Dewi2005 is off the scale

That would be real cool if Kodiakz and/or Klaus would be willing to post some suggestions on this subject.. Sure would speed my project up significantly..
Old 01-12-2006, 01:16 AM
Hummer Expert

kodiakz is off the scale

Plenty of room behind the glove box and next to the radio to mount the tuner and interface. The tuner is pretty small and the interface is even smaller. Mount the antenna on the roof and run the cable behind the glove box, plug everything in and you are done.
\'05 Slate Blue Sut w/ Magnusun, JBA headers, custom exhaust, 22\" MC2 RT5 wheels, Pioneer AVIC Z1 nav, Passport SRX, Vizualogic A1000 dual, bi xenons, fog xenons, dual optimas, and just gettin\' started!
Old 01-12-2006, 01:39 AM
Hummer Veteran

Thanks Kodiakz!!! Like I said before, this info will definitely speed up my install... Ill make sure to post pictures for others.
Old 01-17-2006, 04:45 PM
Hummer Guru

Dewi, how is your install coming along?

Old 01-17-2006, 04:58 PM
Hummer Veteran

Just received the replacement XM unit yesterday. Ill be installing it in the next couple of days providing the weather warms up a bit..

Ill take photos and post.
Old 01-17-2006, 05:10 PM
Hummer Guru

Sweet deal...can't wait to see and hear how it turns out!

Old 01-25-2006, 02:39 AM
Hummer Veteran

OK... Got warm enough to finish this thing.. I did take the dash etc apart more than needed, but I wanted to make sure I could see everything possible. If you do this install you will only need to swing the glove box door open. This is accomplished by depressing the stop on the righ side of the glove box and allow it to fall down.

Steps taken to complete install.

<LI>Follow instructions for removing center console found here
<LI>Remove two allen head bolts near the top of the center stack facia. This will allow you to give the center stack facia a good tug and expose the radio mounting bolts etc.
<LI>Remove the radio and install the wire harness provided with the Terk XMDGMK kit.
<LI>Route the extra piece on the new harness around the rear of the radio cavity under the right vent tube. Then pull this harness down by reaching up inside the left opening of the glove box cavity.
<LI>Re-install the radio by re-connecting the wire harness to the rear of the stereo and gently pushing the stereo back into position checking to ensure no wires are being pinched. Bolt radio into place.
<LI>Using double sided tape, install the XM universal tuner box up inside the glove box cavity on the plastic frame next to the right side of the radio. Make sure all the connection points are accessable for later attachment of antenna etc.
<LI>Install antenna in a location best suited for your vehicle/radio. I used a piece of sheet metal glued to the underside of the top center of the center stack so the antenna could stick magnetically to the sheet metal through the plastic, and sit in the window instead of outside.
<LI>Route antenna wire back to the XM Universal tuner box and ensure proper connection.
<LI>Install the left and right (red and white) RCA cables into the XM universal tuner box.
<LI>Install the data control cable into the XM Universal tuner box.. allow the wires to hang down out of the glove box opening.
<LI>Using double sided tape install the GM interface box onto the XM universal tuner box. Make sure the RCA and Data connections are pointing down, and that the wire harness from the stereo is plugged into the interface box prior to sticking the interface box to the universal tuner.
<LI>Plug the RCA and Data cables into the GM interface box.
<LI>Tie all excess cable together below the universal tuner box and GM interface to make a clean install and avoid any rattles etc down the road.
<LI>Re-install the center stack facia
<LI>Re-install the center console

Now it is time to call XM and have them enable your radio. The control of the XM is now done through the radio and the steering wheel controls..
Attached Images

Old 01-25-2006, 02:39 AM
Hummer Veteran

Final picture set of install
Attached Images

Old 01-25-2006, 03:58 PM
Hummer Guru

Looks great Dewi and thanks for all the info and pics! How is the reception with where you mounted your antena?

Old 01-25-2006, 05:05 PM
Hummer Veteran

The antenna in the window is not exactly optimum, but it does work pretty good. Since I have a roof rack thre is not a real good location on the roof without running the cable all over the place to get to a good spot, so I opted for the windshield.. In the mountains it seems to have some issues, but in the city and out on the flats it works great. Good luck on yours.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:15 PM
Hummer Guru

Thanks for the info. I was thinking about chasing it up the a pillar and pop it out with the blondestar antena side or the radio antena side. Not sure if I want to deal with all that. I will most likely end up doing what you did.

Old 01-25-2006, 05:26 PM
Hummer Veteran

I originally had a portable XM radio in my H2 and had the antenna chased up the a-pillar and stuck to the drivers side luggage rack track just behind the front corner marker light. This worked pretty good and I think possibly better than the window mount, but only time will tell. Have fun with the install!
Old 01-30-2006, 12:28 AM
Hummer Veteran

Just wanted to add an update...

I have run this now for a little while and have noticed that the antenna inside is quite a bit less effecient than when mounted outside.

Next project will be to install the CB and move the XM antenna outside to the roof rack rail.
Old 01-30-2006, 04:58 PM
Hummer Guru

Okay, I will wait then for the rest of your project details and pictures!