H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 01-09-2003, 08:25 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

How do you pull out or unscrew or snap off the front license plate plugs on the front metal bumper?

It assumed it would be a piece of cake, but just spent 1 hour on them without success. Do I pull it straight out? snap off the round top and keep the stub inside for screws? or do I unscrew those 2 black plastic things plugging the 2 holes up front?

Cannot see what is behind the bumper and hard to grab on to the round black top/cover, tried using a flat screwdriver but must be very carefull not to scratch the black metal bumper. There must a very simple snappy way. Your assistance and advise are appreciated.
Old 01-09-2003, 08:25 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

How do you pull out or unscrew or snap off the front license plate plugs on the front metal bumper?

It assumed it would be a piece of cake, but just spent 1 hour on them without success. Do I pull it straight out? snap off the round top and keep the stub inside for screws? or do I unscrew those 2 black plastic things plugging the 2 holes up front?

Cannot see what is behind the bumper and hard to grab on to the round black top/cover, tried using a flat screwdriver but must be very carefull not to scratch the black metal bumper. There must a very simple snappy way. Your assistance and advise are appreciated.
Old 01-09-2003, 09:14 PM

AL  MOORE is off the scale

This procedure is not in the owners manual!!!If you mean the front TAG mounting. It is a plug. I just grabbed it with pliers and pulled it out. I don't think they intend it them to be reused. I got a spare pair from the dealer. The pressure from the tag screws in the plastic frame, will somewhat secure a tag to your H2. At least to 55mph. AL

"Follow the white rabit" .. Matrix 1999

[This message was edited by B MOORE on January 09, 2003 at 03:24 PM.]
Old 01-09-2003, 09:54 PM

Bill Kervaski is off the scale

I had to get my front bumper repainted. I went to pull mine out and scratched the hell out of the bumper with my plyers.

- Bill
Old 01-09-2003, 10:33 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

AL/B Moore, I looked at your DRL photos, you don't have the front TAG/License plate on, guess MS does not require it. Thanks, Bill for your input. I did not find it in the manual, I just figure there must be a more civilized way to pull those out. Everything else on the Hummer is just right and make sense, but these little suckers wasted more time than other more complicated tasks, I got all kinds of pliers, screwdrivers and towels spread out to do the job without success. I may just have to be mean to them, no more Mr. Niceguy.

If anyone else has the magic trick, please kindly share info.
Old 01-09-2003, 11:06 PM

JCJ is off the scale

Aruba law requires front license plate.
I managed to yank both plastic plugs out, after gym visit. Didn't need scalpel. No scratches.
Bought pair of nuts (consider winged) and bolts w/ square neck but no indentation for screw drive, Allan wrench or other tool. The square neck will hold bolts in place in square hole, duh!
Oops forgot the size, but you can measure hole and lenght of bolt must be at least be 1.5 ".
Next shove first bolt from back of bumper through square hole, grab it with a narrow tooth plier, push it through the corresponding hole in the license plate and while still holding the bolt with the plier turn the nut on the bolt.
Do same with other bolt.
Later you can saw extra length of bolts off or leave it like that or glue some nice snap-it H2 caps on 'm. Good luck! JCJ
Old 01-09-2003, 11:24 PM
Hummer Guru

BKLYNH2 is an unknown quantity at this point

I put mine in opposite of JCJ. This is my personal preference because I think the exposed nut is too inviting for mischief minded folks. To get the plugs out with less potential for damage ,squeeze your hand into that small space behind bumper and compress and push plugs out. You can even save them to put them back in if you need to. A 5/16 bolt is about the perfect size to fasten plate and holder with. Wing nuts will probably be easier to thread with your hand wedged inside the small bumper opening. By putting the nut inside the bumper you can have the extra security of using a tamper-proof bolt if you need.
Now anyone have any suggestions as to what I should do once I buy a winch. The front plate blocks the hitch receiver.
Peter-
Old 01-10-2003, 12:36 AM
Hummer Professional

Hummie2 is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess mine was different than yours. When we picked ours up at delivery there were already inserts with mounting screws installed in the square holes in front bumper also a heavy plastic backing plate to keep license plate flat. Rear had license frame already installed.

My wife went to pick the license plates up at dealer and the service guys installed them for her for free. They should for $55k purchase price. Also installed the rear cargo mat that was missing at delivery. Cargo mat was supposed to be included with Lux Package if you didn't order 3rd. seat option.

Don
Old 01-10-2003, 12:42 AM

bklynh2srock is off the scale

Honey, winch question was already answered, I think -- it was a while ago, but you can search for it.

We had to install plates b/c we bought out of state and then bought plate covers.
but she knows what she knows.
Give that girl wings and that\'s all she wrote.
Old 01-10-2003, 05:38 AM

NSXTC is off the scale

Tool Tip

Protect delicate surrounding areas with masking tape prior to using any tools.

Putting tape around the plugs prior to using a plier/screwdriver would have protected the bumper from scratches. Or at least you'll see the tape scratched up and you'll be more aware. Not to put salt on the wound, just a friendly tip which has saved me from many hand slips.

Regards,
David
----------
H2SUT.com
----------
H2SUT.com
----------
Red metallic, Lux package, Poron backup sensors, throttle body by-pass, Independent dual DVDs, Volant air box, DRL mod, chrome hood handles and latch.
Old 01-10-2003, 06:00 AM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

HummieH2, are you saying you have a license plate holder with bulit-in tube/bar on the back of the plate that fits into the front 2" receiver? (that's the square hole.) Same as a rear hitch step fits into the rear 2" receiver. That would be great. I have not seen anything like that, must do some search on the net. I have seen all sort of stuffs for 2" hitch receivers, step, logo, cover, but not yet a license plate holder. Any one has a source?

Masking tape is good idea. JCJ scared me with his heart surgeon description.
Old 01-10-2003, 06:22 AM

NSXTC is off the scale

Here you go MAC...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6766&item=18767339 74

Regards,
David
----------
H2SUT.com
----------
H2SUT.com
----------
Red metallic, Lux package, Poron backup sensors, throttle body by-pass, Independent dual DVDs, Volant air box, DRL mod, chrome hood handles and latch.
Old 01-10-2003, 10:36 AM

JCJ is off the scale

Wouldn't anything protruding from the front hitch receiver interfere with opening of the hood? Just checking.
Old 01-10-2003, 10:37 AM

AL  MOORE is off the scale

YES!!!

"Follow the white rabit" .. Matrix 1999
Old 01-10-2003, 11:30 AM

JCJ is off the scale

B Moore: Yes to my question or happy with David's Ebay suggestion?
MAC: Check this out. "License Plate Step.
NeveRust mirror finished Stainless Steel. Easy mounting on most vehicles with steel bumper and existing license plate holes. Stainless steel hardware included. Easy No-Drill Installation.
Putco Part# 93901 $51.95"
http://www.accessconnect.com/tire_step.htm
Attached Images

Old 01-10-2003, 12:00 PM

JCJ is off the scale

Or maybe this would suffice?
Now one should hope the holes correspond with your license plate. Otherwise you'll have to drill some.

http://store.yahoo.com/auto-stuff/adtoforclas2.html
Attached Images

Old 01-10-2003, 12:16 PM

JCJ is off the scale

Found it!
http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/00...log/p1109.html
Attached Images

Old 01-10-2003, 12:21 PM
Hummer Professional

Hummie2 is an unknown quantity at this point

No MAC...

I wasn't talking about the hitch reciever. Iwas talking about the bolt hole had inserts and screws already in them when we picked it up a dealer. Maybe dealer installed them when it went through PDI. A hitch step would work with plate mounted to it.

Don
Old 01-10-2003, 02:34 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

Looks like JCJ has the bullseye hit. Thanks a million, well, thanks $26.95. Thanks to all, hope it helps many others too. Every time I visit the forum, I usually check the Tech section first and save the goodies others found on PC.

JCJ, I have been looking for that Van magnifier lense you talked about often, but nobody sell it anymore, too old fashioned.