H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 11-07-2002, 05:34 PM
Hummer Veteran

Doug is off the scale

Has anyone installed Satelite Radio? Can it be integrated into the exsisting head unit?
Any info on this is much appreciated.

thanks!
Old 11-07-2002, 05:34 PM
Hummer Veteran

Doug is off the scale

Has anyone installed Satelite Radio? Can it be integrated into the exsisting head unit?
Any info on this is much appreciated.

thanks!
Old 11-07-2002, 05:44 PM

SJ is off the scale

I think the verdict on this question was that you need to get a receiver, since the stock unit is not XM-ready.

Audiovox sells a fairly cheap interface and you'd have a small cube shaped antenna mounted on the roof.

Circuit City had the Satellite Radio packages on Sale a few weekends back; they may still be running a promotion. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
http://www.smiliegenerator.de/smiley...miley-9839.png
Old 11-07-2002, 07:39 PM

OUSUCKS is off the scale

I have an Alpine XM radio installed and it plays through an FM modulator. The sounds quality suffers a bit with the FM modulator...but I mainly listen to the sport-talk stations and Phil Hendrie anyway. I am looking to be able to play it directly through the factory stereo. A company called Blitzsafe(blitzsafe.com) is supposed to be coming out with an adapter soon for GM factory stereos which should work for the H2. I talked to them this week and the product is being developed..they said to try back in a month or so. XM is the greatest thing since Tivo.
Old 11-08-2002, 06:09 AM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

Why is XM radio so great? more stations? better music? get radio stations in Europe? do you pay monthly fee? $? have not look into XM yet, seems like lots of choices on AM/FM/CD already. What am I missing?
Old 11-08-2002, 01:55 PM

SJ is off the scale

MAC:

XM is not for me either, so I'm in your camp: perfectly pleased with AM and FM and the fabulous 6-disc changer.

Good question; I don't see the need to spend even more money on such stuff, but I'm guessing #1 appeal is NO COMMERCIALS.
http://www.smiliegenerator.de/smiley...miley-9839.png
Old 11-08-2002, 08:59 PM
Hummer Veteran

Doug is off the scale

Thanks for the input, I will have to hear the quality using the modulator. If it's not good then looks like I am replacing my head unit with a XM ready unit. I will have to research to find one functionally close to the factory unit specs.
As far as am/fm radio, here on long island, it is terrible. I agree it's the next best thing to tivo.
Old 11-08-2002, 10:18 PM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know about the validity of this, but an installer at a high-end stereo store told me that there will be an adapter harness available soon that will allow the interface between an aftermaket head unit and the steering wheel controls. The only problem remains that the factory head unit MUST be hidden behind the dash since it is tied into so many other systems in the H2.
Old 11-14-2002, 12:19 AM

Afreet is off the scale

I posted the XM question a while back (on the old board) and I am still unsure about a few things. Basically, I drove a new 2003 Tahoe with an XM integrated into the head unit. The dimensions for the Tahoe head unit looked identical, as well as all of the controls to the H2 radio. Has anyone gotten a part number for the Tahoe and Hummer head units to see if they are the same? If not, could I order a replacement Tahoe head and use it in the Hummer? More to the point, does anyone have a photo of the back of the stock Hummer head unit?
Old 11-14-2002, 10:50 AM

mpetrich is off the scale

I don't have my H2 yet (should be here by 12/1) but I thought that I read that there is an AUX IN on the H2 head unit. If there is, you can just plug the XM unit into that. You may have to build a wiring harness, but it would be MUCH better than the FM Modulator (been there...done that). And for those of you that have not tried XM radio, it's amazing and well worth the $10 / month.
Old 11-18-2002, 03:27 PM
Hummer Veteran

Doug is off the scale

There is no aux input to the factory head unit. I just went with Sirius over XM. Needless to say I went the Modulator route (Kenwood). The quality to me is no better than the standard radio.
The big difference with XM and Sirius is XM is Mono, Sirius is Stereo and has a lot better coverage. Programming is apples to apples. Sirius is also $2 more a month. No matter what you read XM and Sirius are in big financial trouble so beware. Check out the following.
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/techinv...te-radio_x.htm
Old 11-18-2002, 10:44 PM

Afreet is off the scale

No offense Doug, but where are you getting your information? It just doesn't make sense to have a digital data stream with only mono sound. This could be the case if XM has twice as many channels as they do now, but given the fact that even analoge FM radio is stereo means that it is highly unlikely that XM would do such a thing.
Old 11-18-2002, 11:37 PM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

There IS an auxiliary input on the back of the radio.
Old 11-19-2002, 08:33 AM

Thanks DRT. I was almost positive there was one. And also, XM radio is STEREO and all digital quality...... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
So now the question, has anyone successfully used the AUX In on the H2 head unit?!
Thanks for the help.
Old 11-19-2002, 02:28 PM

scopelo is off the scale

I will find out today. I am having XM radio instaled in my H2 today. They were going to use an FM modulator, but I am going to ask them to pull the head unit and see if there is a AUX IN and if there is they can just put that modulator back on the shelf. I have also noticed that on the head unit there is a button on the lower left that reads CD/AUX, so I hope that mean there is a AUX IN. I'll know later today.
Old 11-19-2002, 04:21 PM

That's great! Please let us know.
Thanks.
Old 11-20-2002, 11:18 PM
Hummer Veteran

Doug is off the scale

No offense takin', I am just going by what my dealer told me. I agree that being a digital stream and the fact it's just audio, why not stereo? Anyway I went with SIRIUS with the modulator, I am satisfied with the system overall. Although I am curious about the aux input. I looked at the radio when the dealer pulled it out and don't remember seeing aux inputs.????
Old 11-21-2002, 12:02 AM

OUSUCKS is off the scale

I think Sirius and XM are about the same...the difference for me was that XM has NASCAR radio...and I gotta have that.
Old 11-21-2002, 04:06 AM

scopelo is off the scale

No AUX IN. Decided to change head unit to Alpine with fold-out LCD since I plan on doing the whole sound system in stages. I'll be able to keep the functionality of the steering wheel controls, but I'm going to lose the Onstar. Oh well, it's called a cell phone.
Old 11-21-2002, 09:18 AM

Thanks for the info. I wonder if something like this would work. GM Audio AUX Input
I had the FM Modulator in my Lexus RX300 and it is not the way to go. Poor sound quality and it screwed up the regular FM stations. Hopefully, we can figure out another way.
Thanks.