H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 03-01-2005, 07:29 PM
Hummer Veteran

JohnB.GWU. is off the scale

Okay. Well its been a few years (and 3 H2s on this front) since people have had MT/R's on their trucks, so how is the rain/snow performace compared to the stock AT's (in regards to roads and highways). I think I'm going to keep this H2 a while and am going to do a wheel/tire upgrade. It is an everyday driver of sorts, and I have another SUV with Toyo Proxes ST tires which absolutely suck in the rain, due to lack of siping. I know that the MT/R's dont have that much siping either, so it is a cause for concern. I am thinking about SSR's too, so rain/snow performance of both please. Thanks for any/all info.
05\' Yellow Lux - BACK TO YELLOW BABY!!!
04 S55 Benz w/Brabus Tuning
Old 03-01-2005, 07:29 PM
Hummer Veteran

JohnB.GWU. is off the scale

Okay. Well its been a few years (and 3 H2s on this front) since people have had MT/R's on their trucks, so how is the rain/snow performace compared to the stock AT's (in regards to roads and highways). I think I'm going to keep this H2 a while and am going to do a wheel/tire upgrade. It is an everyday driver of sorts, and I have another SUV with Toyo Proxes ST tires which absolutely suck in the rain, due to lack of siping. I know that the MT/R's dont have that much siping either, so it is a cause for concern. I am thinking about SSR's too, so rain/snow performance of both please. Thanks for any/all info.
05\' Yellow Lux - BACK TO YELLOW BABY!!!
04 S55 Benz w/Brabus Tuning
Old 03-01-2005, 08:41 PM
Hummer Veteran

Happy Hummer is off the scale

I have the MT/R's on my H1 and in the rain they are awesome, but in the snow my BFG Mud Terrains on the H2 are 100% better. Check out the BFG KM's they are great in the rain and snow.

ROB
2009 Mercedes C63 AMG
2008 Harley Screamin Eagle Ultra
2006 Wild West Custom Chopper
Old 03-02-2005, 12:00 PM
Hummer Authority

devilsfan is an unknown quantity at this point

I haven't had the chance to try the snow, but they're better than my ATs in the rain. Haven't had a single slip of the wheel or hydroplaning incident since I put them on. I'm very impressed.

Stacy
Old 03-05-2005, 02:06 PM
Hummer Veteran

NU2H2 is off the scale

I have BFG M/T's on my Silverado 2500 Duramax HD and with 400HP and 900 Ft Lbs of torque they suck in the wet but I am sure with AWD they are far far better.
NU2H2
Old 03-05-2005, 02:37 PM
Hummer Veteran

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NU2H2:
I have BFG M/T's on my Silverado 2500 Duramax HD and with 400HP and 900 Ft Lbs of torque they suck in the wet but I am sure with AWD they are far far better.
NU2H2 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Christ with that much power anything will suck in the rain...
2009 Mercedes C63 AMG
Old 03-05-2005, 05:16 PM
Hummer Veteran

NU2H2 is off the scale

Yeah it truly is a nightmare have to watch it in bad weather. Sure is fun though she will go sideways at a 30 mph roll
Old 03-05-2005, 08:12 PM
Hummer Veteran

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NU2H2:
Yeah it truly is a nightmare have to watch it in bad weather. Sure is fun though she will go sideways at a 30 mph roll </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A friend of mine designs chips for diesels and he said that the duramax, tuned right, will kick the sh*t out of the Cummins and the Power Stroke. I wish I had the Duramax in my H1. I can't see spend $130K now for a Alpha. I will wait a few years after the hype and then pick up a left over Alpha.

Good luck and have fun with all that POWER...
2009 Mercedes C63 AMG
Old 03-06-2005, 06:24 AM
Hummer Expert

W1N is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JohnB.GWU.:
Okay. Well its been a few years (and 3 H2s on this front) since people have had MT/R's on their trucks, so how is the rain/snow performace compared to the stock AT's (in regards to roads and highways). I think I'm going to keep this H2 a while and am going to do a wheel/tire upgrade. It is an everyday driver of sorts, and I have another SUV with Toyo Proxes ST tires which absolutely suck in the rain, due to lack of siping. I know that the MT/R's dont have that much siping either, so it is a cause for concern. I am thinking about SSR's too, so rain/snow performance of both please. Thanks for any/all info. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here are some reviews. Although they are vary quite a bit, so it would be nice if somebody who actually has these tires could comment on these:

Goodyear Wrangler MT/R Tire Reviews 1

Doodyear Wrangler MT/R Tire Reviews 2

Do you really have to rotate them every 3000 miles?!
How do these perform when doing highway speeds (60-90 mph)?
How is the noice? Would you use this when driven on pavement 90% of the time?
Old 03-06-2005, 11:28 AM
Hummer Veteran

NU2H2 is off the scale

$130K Holy Crap for a diesel H1 Alpha?
Not for me I'm affraid too rich for my blood
Old 03-06-2005, 11:39 AM
Hummer Authority

ssgharkness020147 is an unknown quantity at this point

How about 25K to drop a Duramax Allison into your H1? There's a guy on Humvee.net that is offering the conversion. I cant remember his name off the top of my head but he has pics in the photo album. The problem with the Alpha is that the computer is designed by CAT, so all the GM perfomance upgrades are not compatible.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Happy Hummer:
Yeah it truly is a nightmare have to watch it in bad weather. Sure is fun though she will go sideways at a 30 mph roll </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A friend of mine designs chips for diesels and he said that the duramax, tuned right, will kick the sh*t out of the Cummins and the Power Stroke. I wish I had the Duramax in my H1. I can't see spend $130K now for a Alpha. I will wait a few years after the hype and then pick up a left over Alpha.

Good luck and have fun with all that POWER... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

-007=
Old 03-07-2005, 12:23 PM
Hummer Authority

devilsfan is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by W1N:
How is the noice? Would you use this when driven on pavement 90% of the time? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I rotate mine every 7500. No problems yet, no signs of uneven wear.

Mine ride smooth up until around 75 MPG. Then they get a little vibrate-y. Nothing too bad tho, you just feel it in the steering wheel.

Noise - definitely noisier than my ATs, but nothing that turning up the stereo can't fix.

I used to take my truck off-road in some form or another every 2 weeks, but have been banned for the past 3 months through July, so I'm 100% pavement now. I will still keep them on as my daily drivers tho - and just replace them with another set of MT/Rs when these wear out. I looooove the way they look. And non-Hummer people have noticed a difference too - I've gotten several comments on how my truck looks "bigger" than other Hummers. I didn't think the increase in tire size made that much of a difference, but obviously it does. It works for me - I'd love to get a lift but it's impractical for a daily driver and I don't want to void my warranty.

Stacy
Old 03-07-2005, 01:03 PM
Hummer Expert

W1N is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by devilsfan:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by W1N:
How is the noice? Would you use this when driven on pavement 90% of the time? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I rotate mine every 7500. No problems yet, no signs of uneven wear.

Mine ride smooth up until around 75 MPG. Then they get a little vibrate-y. Nothing too bad tho, you just feel it in the steering wheel.

Noise - definitely noisier than my ATs, but nothing that turning up the stereo can't fix.

I used to take my truck off-road in some form or another every 2 weeks, but have been banned for the past 3 months through July, so I'm 100% pavement now. I will still keep them on as my daily drivers tho - and just replace them with another set of MT/Rs when these wear out. I looooove the way they look. And non-Hummer people have noticed a difference too - I've gotten several comments on how my truck looks "bigger" than other Hummers. I didn't think the increase in tire size made that much of a difference, but obviously it does. It works for me - I'd love to get a lift but it's impractical for a daily driver and I don't want to void my warranty.

Stacy </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks!!!
Old 03-07-2005, 01:11 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I guess I don't think much about the tire sound because I am used to MT tires. But I dare say that I don't have to turn the volume up anymore than I did with the ATs.

Only vibration I get is when the tires are cold. First 5-10 miles and there is a slight vibration. After that, I can cruise at 80 with no problem. I guage it all by the amount of complaints from my pregnant wife and 4 year old daughter and there has been none from either. Well, with exception of having to buy some take-off steps (they are now called pregnancy steps in this household due to that fact that after the pregnancy they will no longer be on there)