H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 04-14-2005, 02:26 PM
Hummer Expert

GeorgeSSSS is off the scale

Does anyone know of an after-market kit for making the second row seats recline? We take the H2 on long trips and being able to recline the second row 20 degrees or so would let the kids get some sleep while I'm driving.

If there are no kits, can anyone recommend a shop in southern California that can do the work? I plan to keep the car at least 5 years, so making the investment now makes sense.

I'll share whatever I learn about this so everyone can avoid the mistakes I'm bound to make.

Thanks,

George
Black 2005 Adventure Series; factory touch screen GPS w/XM radio; factory express open/close sunroof; reclining second row seats; Warn 9.5ti Multi-Mount Winch; Gobi Stealth roof rack with PIAA lights; HotShot windshield washer fluid system
Old 04-14-2005, 02:26 PM
Hummer Expert

Does anyone know of an after-market kit for making the second row seats recline? We take the H2 on long trips and being able to recline the second row 20 degrees or so would let the kids get some sleep while I'm driving.

If there are no kits, can anyone recommend a shop in southern California that can do the work? I plan to keep the car at least 5 years, so making the investment now makes sense.

I'll share whatever I learn about this so everyone can avoid the mistakes I'm bound to make.

Thanks,

George
Black 2005 Adventure Series; factory touch screen GPS w/XM radio; factory express open/close sunroof; reclining second row seats; Warn 9.5ti Multi-Mount Winch; Gobi Stealth roof rack with PIAA lights; HotShot windshield washer fluid system
Old 04-14-2005, 09:30 PM
Hummer Veteran

Lean Machine is off the scale

I would definitely be interested in your findings. The inability to recline the second row seat is one of the main complaints of my wife. Please keep us posted

\'08 H2 Lux White SUT with Sedona interior - SOLD

\'08 H2 Lux White SUT with Sedona interior and 6'' Fabtech Lift
Old 04-14-2005, 09:34 PM
Hummer Professional

Fastest H-Town Realtor is off the scale

The stop mechanism for the 2nd row seats is a stop pin located in the seat housing. In order to adjust said pin, the stop for the pin would need to be grinded or cut so the pin could move farther. I am looking at doing such mod, but the whole seat frame needs to be removes so it could be done correctly. To make it adjustable would take,IMHO, rebuilding the seat frame, so I will be focusing on reclining the seat backs another 10 degrees, not making them reclinable. I am going to look at the Ford units and see if they are compatable in some form.

Have-08 Titan C/C,06 GCSRT-425FTLB & AWD, other junk..
Want-08 Viper, 06 M5
Old 04-15-2005, 01:02 AM
Hummer Novice

Mr. H is an unknown quantity at this point

I had an 02 Esclade that had the reclining seats. Are they not similar to the H2 seats? If so, look at how they work and that should give you some clue. I will check tomorrow and let you know.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:18 AM
Hummer Expert

H: Did the Escalade's seats fold to the foor the same way the H2's do, or does it matter?

George SSSS
Old 04-15-2005, 11:58 AM

markw is off the scale

There's a company in Japan selling a kit to convert the 2nd row seats to recline. http://fukushin-ind.com/hummer_rk.html
The kit retails for about $800! which seems very expensive. Anyway I thought the photos on the web page might be of interest...

Mark.
Old 04-15-2005, 01:38 PM
Hummer Expert

Mark:

This is great news. IMO, $800 isn't so bad for a proven, high quality kit. You can waste a lot of time and money fooling around with do-it-yourself efforts and finish with a less than satisfactory result.

When I go to your link, the photos are clear enough but everything else shows up as "???????". Can you send me an e-mail address for the Japanese company?

BTW, what can you tell us about the reputation of the kit's manufacturer?

Thanks,

George SSSS
Old 04-15-2005, 02:13 PM

Hart1 is off the scale

Here is a cool third row seat that folds down...
http://www.premierhummer.com/hummer_...sofa_seat.html
Old 04-15-2005, 08:46 PM

markw is off the scale

Hi George,

You'll have to set your encoding to Japanese Shift JIS to view the text correctly. It does say on the page that the kit can not be fitted to 03 H2s (only 04 and I presume 05s too).I don't know anything about the company so I can't comment on the quality of the kit etc... Here are the contact details of the company:

????????????????
????????????????
E-MAIL?sunrocky@fukushin-ind.com

Mark.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:08 PM
Hummer Expert

Mark: You da MAN!!! Thanks

Anyone else who is interested in this: I'll be the guinea pig -- -- get the kit, get it installed, see how it works, and report the results.

Only idiots volunteer. Feel free to draw your own conclusions.

Best regards,

George
Old 04-15-2005, 09:31 PM
Hummer Novice

Mr. H is an unknown quantity at this point

GeorgeSSSS - Yes the seats in the Escalade worked the same way for fold flat (bottom up against the front seat back and the back folds down to the floor). I have not had time to check. I would check the workings of the Esclade before ordering parts. Seems like the GM dealer should be able to supply any parts to exchange.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:42 PM
Hummer Expert

Mr. H: Good thought. I'll look into the Escalade hardware before I buy anything.

Hart 1: Thanks for the post about the third row seat. That's my next project.

George
Old 04-16-2005, 04:50 AM
Hummer Authority

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ is off the scale

I'm interested in kit for reclining 2nd row seat if you can pin it down.
Thanks and let us know how it goes.
TAZ
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Old 04-16-2005, 12:41 PM
Hummer Expert

Guys:

I will definitely report back everything that happens, good or bad, as I think that's an important part of our forum.

BTW: I bought my H2 new from a Cadillac/Hummer dealer, so Mr. H's suggestion is particularly apt.

George SSSS
Old 04-22-2005, 03:21 PM
Hummer Expert

INTERIM REPORT:

The Cadillac/Hummer dealer I bought from said it can't (read, "won't") do the work to make second row seats reclinable "because of safety concerns." However, they will sell me the parts for about $3,800 and, "... you can do it yourself." Ridiculous.

I'm going to confer with a reliable auto mechanic who is anxious to undertake the project of converting the existing seats to reclinable function. If he succeeds, I'll give everyone his name and address.

I also got an e-mail from the Japanese kit manufacturer. He said he needs to research how to "advance the transaction" and will get back to me.

Best regards,

George
Old 04-24-2005, 12:19 PM
Hummer Expert

This project is starting to come together. However, the tire jack is behind the left side rear seat, preventing it from reclining. Anyone got any suggestions where or whether to move the jack?

Thanks,

George SSSS
Old 04-24-2005, 01:55 PM

RI Hummer is off the scale

george,
If you get any further information on the Japanese kit, let me know.I can't exactly bring the Hummer to CA to your mechanic.

I assume relocating the jack to the same position as the SUT could be accomplished using stock GM parts and maybe only minor modifications. The other option is fabricating a new bracket to move the current location more aft using angled brackets.
Old 04-24-2005, 02:39 PM
Hummer Authority

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ is off the scale

GeorgeSSS
Seriouly take the jack out and put up in garage. I usually call AAA or the Hummer Dealer.
TAZ

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GeorgeSSSS:
This project is starting to come together. However, the tire jack is behind the left side rear seat, preventing it from reclining. Anyone got any suggestions where or whether to move the jack?

Thanks,

George SSSS </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Old 04-24-2005, 02:55 PM
Hummer Expert

RI Hummer:

No problem: If my mechanic ends up doing it, I'll post complete instructions and photos. Any info from the Japanese company will be passed along as it comes in.

Where does SUT store the jack?

Thanks,

George