H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 01-13-2005, 07:44 AM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

Will the H3 be another huge hit....or what??

I say "No".....

The H2 has "been there, done that"

For years the H1 was the exotic of offroad vehicles...costing upwards of six-figures. It really wasn't very practical....certainly not something mom could use to haul kids to soccer practice. It was wide, heavy, and pretty much regarded as a specialty vehicle for the wealthy. Some stayed away due to price, others for lack of practical application.

The H2 changed all that. In 3 words you could sum it up as "Hummer made affordable"....

For about half the price, or about the same money as any other luxury SUV, a consumer could find themselves behind the wheel of a HUMMER. The price was right! Beyond price was practicality...now you could zip around town hauling kids, jamming at 80 mph on the freeway and pretty much enjoying all the qualities of any typical SUV. Aside from a tall jump upwards to get in, you had a SUV on steroids. It was a GM and parts & service available....why not!

And so the H2 was all the rage, suddenly Hummers were in the spotlight and driving down the street kids smiled and gave you the thumbs-up. Life was good.

Those days are gone.

High oil prices, the push to save the environment and just basic trends have put the Hummer into the background of modern automotive interest. Not to mention the war in Iraq getting old....the association with a battle-vehicle just doesn't quite appeal either.

One other thought: people discovered the H2 wasn't a "real Hummer". It didn't have gear-driven hubs, CTIS or all the armor the H1 has. They called it a Tahoe2. Personally, I think GM bought a name and instead of maintaining it's pretige & quality....they cashed-in and watered it down for sake of profit.

Is there a place for the H3? Will it re-ignite the Hummer interest and stir a renewed sales rage?...I sincerely doubt it. Sure, it'll mean "entry" for those who can't cut-loose with $55k....but to what extent? HELLO: For about the same money as a new H3 you can own a used H2 still under warranty; why not buy the original immitator???

I'm guessing the H3 will be exactly like the Jeep Liberty....you'll see them here and there, but after a brief initial hype and some perky sales...it'll fall flat on it's face and just plunder along.

Course, I may be wrong....but what's that old saying? Ah yes....BITE ME!!
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

I say "No".....

For years the H1 was the exotic of offroad vehicles...costing upwards of six-figures. It really wasn't very practical....certainly not something mom could use to haul kids to soccer practice. It was wide, heavy, and pretty much regarded as a specialty vehicle for the wealthy. Some stayed away due to price, others for lack of practical application.

The H2 changed all that. In 3 words you could sum it up as "Hummer made affordable"....

For about half the price, or about the same money as any other luxury SUV, a consumer could find themselves behind the wheel of a HUMMER. The price was right! Beyond price was practicality...now you could zip around town hauling kids, jamming at 80 mph on the freeway and pretty much enjoying all the qualities of any typical SUV. Aside from a tall jump upwards to get in, you had a SUV on steroids. It was a GM and parts & service available....why not!

And so the H2 was all the rage, suddenly Hummers were in the spotlight and driving down the street kids smiled and gave you the thumbs-up. Life was good.

Those days are gone.

High oil prices, the push to save the environment and just basic trends have put the Hummer into the background of modern automotive interest. Not to mention the war in Iraq getting old....the association with a battle-vehicle just doesn't quite appeal either.

One other thought: people discovered the H2 wasn't a "real Hummer". It didn't have gear-driven hubs, CTIS or all the armor the H1 has. They called it a Tahoe2. Personally, I think GM bought a name and instead of maintaining it's pretige & quality....they cashed-in and watered it down for sake of profit.

Is there a place for the H3? Will it re-ignite the Hummer interest and stir a renewed sales rage?...I sincerely doubt it. Sure, it'll mean "entry" for those who can't cut-loose with $55k....but to what extent? HELLO: For about the same money as a new H3 you can own a used H2 still under warranty; why not buy the original immitator???

I'm guessing the H3 will be exactly like the Jeep Liberty....you'll see them here and there, but after a brief initial hype and some perky sales...it'll fall flat on it's face and just plunder along.

Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

I say "No".....

Those days are gone.

Old 01-13-2005, 08:46 AM
Hummer Authority

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ is off the scale

Steve i agree completely with all you said but i have been shot down so far. Get Your parachute ready.

TAZ
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Old 01-13-2005, 11:54 AM
Hummer Authority

devilsfan is an unknown quantity at this point

Will it be an enormous hit? No.

But look at the reasons most people trade in their H2s. It's not because they don't love the Hummer, it's because it lacks practicality, isn't easy to drive, is a gas hog, etc. The H3 solves a lot of these issues. The key is to make it as much of a Hummer and as prestigous as the H2, which I don't think they can do. Those folks who traded in their H2s did so for Range Rovers, Lexus, etc - they're not going to settle for a $30,000 pseudo-Trailblazer. I think the majority of the market will come from those who are looking for a daily driver to replace the family minivan and can't afford the H2, and those in the younger set who are looking for an alternative to the Jeep. Other than that, I agree - there's really not much of a market out there.

Stacy
Old 01-13-2005, 02:22 PM
Hummer Guru

ROX is an unknown quantity at this point

PhilD I disagree.

I'm not so sure that the H3 won't take a lot of the jeep market away. Think about it. Jeep has been the only appealing off road vehicle to many people for years. It started in the military too. I think given a few years, the H2 and the new H3 will be more popular. Right now they are a little pricey to own. And, people aren't used to seeing them around.

I never would have driven a GM if the H2 hadn't come along. I was preparing to buy a Ford Excursion for the simple facts that it tows everything under the sun, still has 4wd, and lots of room. But the Hummer was something new and exciting and I decided to buy one. The money was the same so it wasn't a deciding factor. (Of course, once I got done putting all the gadgets on, it was a different story.)

The H3 will find it's niche. I think all the Jeep owners who couldn't afford an H2 will suddenly find themselves looking at buying their new Hummer H3 instead. Ya never Know.... STRENGTH IN NUMBERS
Old 01-13-2005, 02:53 PM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

Oh...don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting they won't sell or don't have their place. They'll do just fine....but when I say "fine", I mean as nothing more then just another new model that Ford or Dodge may add.

Some of you may have forgotten, but the H2 was originally figured as being a specialty vehicle one-off from an H1. GM was blown-away and nearly shocked at the demand. It amazed them at how much the people embraced and bought the H2. They were selling on ebay for $20k over sticker and dealers were backed-up on orders for months! I don't want to sound over dramatic, but the nation was swept by a small wave of Hummer-mania. Rap Stars had them and it was the hot new thing.

My point is that the H3 will NOT be the HOT new thing and reignite a frenzied interest in HUMMER again. Dealers are hoping & expecting a tidal-wave of demand.

In the theme of my title...will it be a homerun: NO. But it will be a double.

The H2 made HUMMER affordable, it was the rage. The H3 will be cute, interesting and provocative to many....but it's just going to be another model and simmer along after a slight bump in initial demand.
Old 01-13-2005, 03:14 PM
Hummer Authority

Albie is off the scale

more like a balk!
Old 01-13-2005, 05:05 PM
Hummer Guru

ROX is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PhilD:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by H2 Rocks:
PhilD I disagree. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>With what?

I'm confused, which isn't a difficult thing to do ;-)

Your post sounds like you think the H3 will sell well. Which is what I said, the previous posts said it won't sell well <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

SORRY PHILD. There I go picking on the wrong guy again.
Old 01-13-2005, 06:20 PM
Hummer Veteran

GeneseeMtn is off the scale

The H3 will definitely be off-road capable. It's suspension allows it to be driven through a portion of the AM General Off-Road Course at the facotry that they keep the H2's off of.

The suspension of the H3 is something that will definitely be desired.
Old 01-13-2005, 06:34 PM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the H3 will be a very good seller.

As for off-roading abilities- it was up on the Rubicon so it must be good. Just getting into that trail is a bit of a pisser.
I'm really looking forward to seeing & driving one.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:28 PM
Hummer Professional

Longhorn is off the scale

Steve-

How does this scenario play out if you've got the H2 or H1 in scoring position? The H3 might knock in an RBI or at least bring up a pretty nasty fielder's choice.

Wait, I've confused myself with this ridiculous extended metaphor and my eyes have gone cross-eyed.

Bring on the H3. Let good ole fashioned Capitalism decide.

We will have to haze the owners a bit in the interest of a proper initiation. I vote Dirty for Pledge Trainer in 05.
Old 01-14-2005, 02:16 AM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LonghornRockcrawler:
I've confused myself with this ridiculous extended metaphor and my eyes have gone cross-eyed. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well...that would be the inbreeding

I've heard the H3 did well on the Rubicon, BETTER then the H2. Before getting too excited by such prospects....it was firmly concluded that it's advantage was solely on account of the H3 being more narrow and being able to take more selective lines.

I've also spoken with other tech-heads and they too are bitter about the leaf-springs and the shock absorber bracket that hang down very low.

The title of the thread was not "how well will the H3 offroad"...but rather I'm calling into question the assumption many have figured: that the H3 will re-ignite a Hummer sales frenzy.

And of course, in the end...time will tell. My understanding of "why leaf-springs" stems from the H3 being built on a Colorado chassis.

And really, I'm just giving the forum something to chew on.
Old 01-14-2005, 02:26 AM

unaslob is off the scale

to answer the question, the h3 will do well. mostly for wrong reasons, I think that it will be quite "blingable" and for a cheaper price.

not to be tangential... but the more important question is:

will H2 owners treat H3 owners with the same distain that H1 owners treat H2 owners..

(map available on request)

unaslob
Corsa Sport exhaust(offroad \'tip\'), Gobi rack w/ lights & w/roof mounted tire w/ ladder, Warn Winch with rear power, Dual Wolo Airhorns w/ lanyard valve, Hadley Aircompressor 130PSI, 14\" airtank, front and rear quick disconnects for air, Cobra 75 WX
Old 01-14-2005, 03:24 AM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it will sell well. I'm trying to convince the wife that "she needs one". Of course it won't go anywhere worse than the sand in the OBX or mall parking lot, but hey, it's a HUMMER.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:58 AM
Hummer Authority

kacyk is off the scale

Anyone know what demographic profile or segment Hummer is going after with the H3? They must have done a study before going ahead with the project or at least their marketing team is targeting someone. Is it men, women, specific age or income profile, nationality, mini-me's?

I'm not too thrilled with the pics but my brother has put his hands on one and he claims that it's the real deal in person. What's the deal with the 5 cylinders though?
2006 Black H3 LUX + Off Road (Sold)
2003 Yellow H2 LUX (Sold)
2003 Pewter H2 Adventure (Sold)
Old 01-14-2005, 11:35 AM
Hummer Authority

devilsfan is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by unaslob:
to answer the question, the h3 will do well. mostly for wrong reasons, I think that it will be quite "blingable" and for a cheaper price.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Greeeeeat, Hummer's created a rival to the Scion B.

Stacy
Old 01-14-2005, 04:47 PM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by unaslob:
not to be tangential... but the more important question is: will H2 owners treat H3 owners with the same distain that H1 owners treat H2 owners.. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I really don't expect H2 owners to give grief to H3 owners, unless they come in here touting how their rig cost 40% less and can out-wheel our H2's. If they come in blaring attitude, the Troll-patrol will knock 'em down.

SOME of the H1 owners were real dickheads and cut-loose some major attitude. As for H2 owners, I doubt you'll ever see an H3 Recovery Team, stickers with an H3 and slash through it (No H3's) or a plate frame reading "Death before H3".

The H3 is a little-brother to the H2. Whereas H1 owners saw the H2 as the illegitimate bastard child that was getting all the attention.

Oh...why 5 cylinder: fuel economy