H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 12-20-2004, 11:58 PM

unaslob is off the scale

Has anybody found a good cure for the snow and ice that accumulates in the center-bottom portion of the windshield. As the right wiper brings across snow while driving, then the left one smashes it into a nice little pile...

I have to run the defroster on HIGH at 90 to even make it tolerable (it still accumulates)

I have tried putting a piece of cardboard to 'shunt' the air lower on the windshield with some efficacy.

it happens with even semi-light snow. it is really annoying

I have been trying to fashion a peice of heat tape that would plug into the 12V adapter. is this too crazy to work on.

I hate having to pull over on a snow ride to pull the snow and ice off the windshield.

unaslob
Corsa Sport exhaust(offroad \'tip\'), Gobi rack w/ lights & w/roof mounted tire w/ ladder, Warn Winch with rear power, Dual Wolo Airhorns w/ lanyard valve, Hadley Aircompressor 130PSI, 14\" airtank, front and rear quick disconnects for air, Cobra 75 WX

unaslob is off the scale

Has anybody found a good cure for the snow and ice that accumulates in the center-bottom portion of the windshield. As the right wiper brings across snow while driving, then the left one smashes it into a nice little pile...

I have to run the defroster on HIGH at 90 to even make it tolerable (it still accumulates)

I have tried putting a piece of cardboard to 'shunt' the air lower on the windshield with some efficacy.

I have been trying to fashion a peice of heat tape that would plug into the 12V adapter. is this too crazy to work on.

I hate having to pull over on a snow ride to pull the snow and ice off the windshield.

unaslob
Corsa Sport exhaust(offroad \'tip\'), Gobi rack w/ lights & w/roof mounted tire w/ ladder, Warn Winch with rear power, Dual Wolo Airhorns w/ lanyard valve, Hadley Aircompressor 130PSI, 14\" airtank, front and rear quick disconnects for air, Cobra 75 WX

unaslob is off the scale

unaslob
Old 12-21-2004, 12:05 AM
Hummer Guru

RIC-H0 is an unknown quantity at this point

I wonder if placing a handwarmer pack there would help any?
I use them when I go hunting, and they last for atleast 10hrs, and get pretty warm!

It's worth a try!

Ric-H2
Old 12-21-2004, 12:18 AM

unaslob is off the scale

that is worth a shot. it will certainly take less time then some of my other ideas and cheaper.

I have never had this happen with any other cars. I thought it was due to the upright angle of the windshield, but it doenst happent with my girlfriend's jeep at all.

I am wondering if there is something that I can add to the top of the brush guard to disrupt the airflow, the jeep does have a bra on it with one of those ripples on the front to do that.

unaslob
Old 12-21-2004, 01:48 AM
Hummer Veteran

Black 05 is off the scale

Hi
I am working on an air operated device that will move both wiper blades 3" away from the windshield and will snap back to the windshild to break off any ice buildup. I should have it perfected by the end of January. There is also heated windshield wipers on the market and also heated windshield wiper fluid, called Hotshot. It was shown on the H2 at the GM booth at SEMA this year.
Old 12-23-2004, 10:30 PM
Hummer Expert

GeorgeSSSS is off the scale

Unaslob

I was rattling around the internet and saw an article that described a "heated windshield" as a new feature on the 2004 H2. If you have something earlier than a 2004, maybe there is a retrofit available. If you have a 2004 or later, the heated windshield obviously doesn't work.

Maybe someone who has a 2004 or later H2 can give some intel about the heated windshield.

Hope this helps,

George
Black 2005 Adventure Series; factory touch screen GPS w/XM radio; factory express open/close sunroof; reclining second row seats; Warn 9.5ti Multi-Mount Winch; Gobi Stealth roof rack with PIAA lights; HotShot windshield washer fluid system
Old 12-24-2004, 12:46 AM
Hummer Veteran

Black 05 is off the scale

I haven't heard of a heated windshield.
Old 12-24-2004, 02:00 AM
Hummer Expert

My mistake guys. The heated windshield was added to the H1 in 2004, not the H2. Maybe that tells us something though.
Black 2005 Adventure Series; factory touch screen GPS w/XM radio; factory express open/close sunroof; reclining second row seats; Warn 9.5ti Multi-Mount Winch; Gobi Stealth roof rack with PIAA lights; HotShot windshield washer fluid system
Old 12-24-2004, 06:11 AM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GeorgeSSSS:
My mistake guys. The heated windshield was added to the H1 in 2004, not the H2. Maybe that tells us something though. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, not to listen to you.
Old 12-24-2004, 12:29 PM

unaslob is off the scale

it is amazing how fast the snow and ice can accumulate there. on the interstate during heavy snow or ice, i would probably have to pull over every 5-10 miles. I cant be the only one that has this problem!!!

What have some of you others done to combat this. I am going to try the wiper fluid that 'eats ice' that will certainly help. i have tried that before but I really ran through the stuff. We have had great winters (by which I mean lots of snow) the past few years...
so far this year is a bust!

unaslob
Old 12-24-2004, 03:03 PM
Hummer Authority

ssgharkness020147 is an unknown quantity at this point

Heated windshields are great, despite the fact that one of mine is not working right now. The ice melts right off it also helps keep snow from accumelating above the wipers (very nice on the H1 with those stupid wipers). Here's the downside: The cost. If you crack one and your insurance does not cover it there goes around 750.00 of your hard earned dollars. That 750.00 is for one windshield not both.

-007=
Old 12-24-2004, 04:11 PM
Hummer Expert

Here's a link to a heated washer fluid system that I found on the internet.

http://www.sigmaautomotive.com/HotShot/hotshot.php

I wonder about squirting hot washer fluid on cold glass though -- -- any chance of cracking the glass?
Old 12-24-2004, 08:04 PM
Hummer Veteran

Andre is off the scale

try this.....LMFAO
Attached Images

Old 12-26-2004, 03:23 AM

LasVegas is off the scale

Sure fire cure for ice on the windshield...Live in Las Vegas!
Old 12-27-2004, 01:03 AM
Hummer Expert

Unaslob

I found this cigarette lighter outlet powered 200 watt instant defroster on the internet.

http://www.vectormfg.com/site2/vecto...roducts_id=118

The link is to the manufacturer -- -- I don't know if they sell direct. I saw it elsewhere on the internet for $25 or more. If you decide to try it, let us know how it works.

Another possibility would be a short section of 12 volt electrical heating tape. I know it exists, but I don't know where to get it.

Good luck,

George
Old 12-27-2004, 01:27 AM
Hummer Guru

RIC-H0 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey...
This may be a new job for the trunk Monkey!
He may need a Monkey Jacket, and monkey ear muffs, but he's not doing anything while the car is moving anyway!
Sounds like it's time for a new
"Windshield Monkey" Commercial!

Ric-H2
Old 12-27-2004, 03:38 AM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Postd by Ric:
This may be a new job for the trunk Monkey! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Hummer Man hasn't been here for awhile.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:39 PM

unaslob is off the scale

i think that the heat tape would be a great idea. I cant stand it. in my mind, it is a obvious design flaw. I am going to go with the de-icing fluid. and keep a spare in the trunk for when I am on a trip.

unaslob
Old 01-06-2005, 12:03 PM

cck is off the scale

ask your dealer about heated windsheild wipers. problem solved